How to change transmission and primary oil? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Transmission and Primary
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Paladin1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
How to change transmission and primary oil?

This may be a pretty basic question, but.... i would like to change the transmissin and primary (?) oil in my 2002 Road King, and am not sure where the drain/fill plugs are, nor the amount of oil to add?

I think I know how to change the engine oil,assuming the drain plug is, in fact, a plug utilizing a 8 mm allan socket (?).

I tried to do a search, but neither "how" nor "oil" are accepted terms (too short). I did find a reference for manual, but thought perhaps there was a thread here somewhere explaining the steps??

Thanks, Greg
02 Road King (4 sale)
47 Flathead (45)

Last edited by Paladin1; 11-28-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Shaw_2112 wants to know Dino or Syn?
shall I be the first to say

hehehe, don't know about the RK but the drain plug on the FXST is dead center on the bottom of the tranny, mine only takes about a qt or so before it's full. check the dipstick on the right side of the clutch cover for the fill marks....Primary is just as easy, remove plug and drain, only fill oil to cover the bottom edge of the clutch basket... It's not brain surgery man, just use common sense.....

good luck!

Last edited by Shaw_2112; 11-29-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Shaw_2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Paladin1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks Shaw, I may have to order a maintenance manual. On a couple other forum I am on (Honda , V Rod,and BMW) there are many threads showing various maintenance jobs in detail, often with handy tips. Its actually one of the significant benefits I usually get from these forums.

"Read the book", is also good advice, any specific recomendations?

thx

greg
02 Road King (4 sale)
47 Flathead (45)
Paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

the only think I can think of to watch out for is beware of overtightening both plugs, they're damn easy to strip. Use a little nylon thread tape when reinstalling too. Will help keep from leaking, especially when trying not to overtighten..
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

gdkenoyer wants to know where he is and how he got here
Three suggestions:
1) Get the service manual (already noted)
2) Read this thread
3) Use the search function ("drain plug", etc.) to find other threads such as:
- How to change the oil in your twin cam harley
- Oil drain plug location
gdkenoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkenoyer
Three suggestions:
1) Get the service manual (already noted)
2) Read this thread
3) Use the search function ("drain plug", etc.) to find other threads such as:
- How to change the oil in your twin cam harley
- Oil drain plug location
Those would be great links if he was chaging the engine oil
Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1

"Read the book", is also good advice, any specific recomendations?

thx

greg
almost missed this one....

Yeah pony up the $$$ to get HD manual, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Clymers...

You might be able to get one off eBay for cheap. Dealer is going to charge ya $50...
Old 11-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

gdkenoyer wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw_2112
Those would be great links if he was chaging the engine oil
1) do you often change the tranny oil w/o changing the engine oil?
2) hopefully he is smart enough the see the "etc" in the suggested search string and replace with "[tranny|primary|engine] oil", as needed.
3) if he is such a newbie that he needs to ask about this, isn't warning him to not undo the plug in the bottom-center of the crankcase 'goodness'?

ya dink.
gdkenoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw_2112
almost missed this one....

Yeah pony up the $$$ to get HD manual, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Clymers...

You might be able to get one off eBay for cheap. Dealer is going to charge ya $50...
Agreed, but call any of the several 20% off dealers and get the manual from them. IMO, Jenni Sapyta at Charlie's H-D in Huntington, WV is the best parts person around. Try to have the part number you want, but she'll get that, too, if you don't have it. 20% off, no tax, actual freight. Order cable lube, oil filters and o-rings/gaskets at the same time to save freight. Their phone number can be found at the H-D site (Dealers).

trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free agent

chrt396 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Look under the bike at the oil pan and you will see two bolts. One id closer to the right side of bike and it is mounted on the bottom of the pan. This is your transmission fluid drain. On the same oil pan on the left side..in the front and up on the side of the pan is the oil plug drain. The primary bolt..or screw actually...in just under the primary cover inspection plate.
chrt396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

baggersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
As a disclaimer, "Always refer to the H-D service manual".

Usually looking at the two drain plugs in the oil pan........the one in the front or forward is the engine oil drain and the one further back on the pan is the transmission. Helps you if you think of the engine in front of the transmission.

Big Boyz Street Heads
207-242-8374 Cell Phone
207-621-8089 Port/Dyno Shop
baggersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Tet Vet wants to know Dino or Syn?
I change engine, transmission, and primary every 4,000 miles. I use the same synthetic HD oil in all three. I know of some who change more often and some who change less often. Many do not change the trans and primary everytime they change the engine oil. I change the three o-rings on the drain plugs each time. I also use one wrap of teflon pipe joint tape (probably not necessary, it's just that I'm obsessive/complusive). On the 2007 and up there is no inspection plate to refill the primary and you must replace the primary cover o-ring. HD sells the three o-rings and the primary o-ring for about 4 dollars.

I found it better to use a 5/8 boxend wrench than the allen wrench....It's easy to strip out the allen.
Tet Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hogrida wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know it's a bit late but this may help others doing an oil change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touring oil pan.jpg
Views:	5653
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	43939  
hogrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Just pidlin'

CHIPMAKER wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pic

Worth a thousand words

In any confrontation between knowledge and ignorance, ignorance has the edge,
because knowledge is limited, but ignorance is not......

just pidlin
CHIPMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I have never used the allen, 5/8 wrench. Probably better bight. 21 ftlbs, I think. Also my 01 touring tranny takes 20-24 ounces. Annoying #, with primary taking 32.

The tranny plug sorta lines up with the tranny dipstick too.

Now my 07, tranny takes 32 ounces, nice easy #. But the damn tranny takes 40 or something. They did go to a regular drain plug on primary in 07, like it better.

Also I keep on hand rubbe orings. Tranny and engine same on 01 and 07. For some reason my 01 eats rings. I have inspected, used tq wrench, tried differant orings. Lube it 1st. Dunno. But doesn't drip.

For adding oil to 01 primary I took a piece of clear tubing and stuck a funnel in it. I pour it in through the chain inspection cover.
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement