1983 ironhead with super e carb : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sportster/Buell Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

blt93932 wants to know Dino or Syn?
1983 ironhead with super e carb

So my dad has a 1983 ironhead that he bought new from the dealer. It's needed a new carb, and has been sitting a while so I picked up a super e off of ebay for a decent price. The owner said it came off of a panhead. We attached it, started the bike, and it's running super rough. I've reset the carb, but there is no difference with the enricher on or off. It's puffing black smoke out of both cylinders, and it sounds like it's staggering along. He was able to take it down the road, same thing, hesitation, no throttle response, black smoke.

So my guess is jetting. What size for a completely stock Ironhead?

Also, voes. This has no hookup for voes. Do we need it? Could that have anything to do with how it's running? The timing should be ok, as it ran fine the last time it ran a while ago with the old carb.
blt93932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

mark_bert wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you're not married to the idea of the super e, I suggest taking a look at a CV carb. You can pick up a stock take off CV for pretty cheap. They are easy to tune and work very well on an ironhead. In my experience, guys who have S&S carbs on ironheads have said that they tend to be pretty twitchy and tough to tune.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Zwiehund wants to know Dino or Syn?
He's right, S&S carbs like their airflow, you would do better with a CV. If ya still gotta have it, try here: http://www.sscycle.com/feature/featureview.php?s_id=11
2004 FLHTCI with Khromewerks Mufflers, Fullsac headers, Stage I Download, Dobeck TFI, Big Sucker, Saddlemen Gel Seat, Windvest Windshield, Cruise, HD Stainless Pullbacks, Throttle-Up Touring Stabilizer, Andrews 21N Cams, Herko Hydraulic Tensioner Upgrade Kit, Hogtunes Sound.

A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem.

Albert Einstein
Zwiehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

blt93932 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Too much money into the s&s now to switch over. I'm sure it will run great once we get it jetted right. A friend of ours said to try a .028 intermediate and .064 main jet. Off to find jets!
blt93932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

mark_bert wants to know Dino or Syn?
try googling "jet super e for ironhead", there is a pretty decent return set that should help you out.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Goos3n3ckbobb3r wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt93932 View Post
Too much money into the s&s now to switch over. I'm sure it will run great once we get it jetted right. A friend of ours said to try a .028 intermediate and .064 main jet. Off to find jets!
Hi,
I've got an '81 1000cc with a super "E" carb, S&S tear drop air filter, baffled pipes and would often switch off with drag pipes and have no problems. I'm currently running 28 and 66 jets on mine. A good cleaning and make sure your accelerator pump is working and sealed properly. Also make sure the acceler. pump rod is free moving and not gummed up and stuck. Common on used carb that hasn't been properly stored. 28/64 is a good start and shouldn't be a problem.
Goos3n3ckbobb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

rocketsled wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another thing to consider

The super E has an adjustable accelerator pump. The carb is designed for BIG hotrod motors (as in drag) and the thing pumps huge amounts of gas unless you turn it down quite a bit. Gave me fits on my '79 fouling plugs and such until I finally got down pretty tight. It pumps more gas on a quarter stroke than the stock Keihin did in a full stroke. Good luck with it.
rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

toolbox wants to know Dino or Syn?
VOES did not come out until '84 so rule that as any problem. super G series is for the drag bikes and the super E oughta work real well on a stock '83 IF the carb you got from eBay aint all boogered up meaning from reamed out passages from overtightening mixture screws or loose/improper size jet or the like. you really should dismantle the carb and look at the internals and clean it up before you move further along. your dumping so much fuel in there now causing the symptoms you describe its a wonder you aint leaving a gas trail down the road. the suggestion on the acclerator pump given earlier is good advice to. just check the super E out cause there good reliable carbs on the old ironheads. i am running one on my '81 basically right out of the box and it runs like a demon. good luck.
toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another option with S&S is that you can return it for rebuild/update and they will tell you if the body is damaged or usable but I would not do this untill I have checked things out according to their instruction sheet on how to set the carb up.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement