Set another hot record today : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Upcoming Events (Local and National/International) > Southwest
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
bike peddler

Scrubs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Set another hot record today

Something on national news this morning was not welcome...record-setting high temps in Texas yesterday

There was a list of about 6 Texas cities (as I remember at the top was Amarillo at 106*F, Houston at the bottom of the list at 100*F) that were breaking previous records.
Wichita Falls at 111*F has broken two previous 108* records yesterday and today, with some nearby towns even hotter (Vernon at 114*), but no mention of our little burg.

A lot of other folks around the nation are in danger (Arizona, Missouri/Mississippi River valley) and this rant is petty yeah, but it kinda pissed me off.

How are you guys coping with the drought and this extreme heat???!!!

------------------FURY is a 2006 FXSTBi Night Train-----------------

A favorite quote: "You were born an original, don't die a copy."
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can't help ya out Bro 75 here today and periodic cloudness. No humidity

I heard about the weather down there as of late & can remember last year here where it was up in the low 100's. Not fun.
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

grandadmorgan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes it was hot today in Dallas too. It's now about 96 at 10:00 pm and it got to 102 or 103 while we rode only 276 miles through the east Texas countryside pausing for refreshments and pretty ladies. We are in a drought at this time along with some extremely high winds with even higher gusts which often pushed the back of my bike over a half a lane, that's why we rode staggered.
Nice night train
grandadmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rigrey1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
heat I can handle........it's these DAMN 50+ mile an hour winds that haven't seemed to stop since they started back in March!!!...I'd GLADLY exchange them for a little RAIN!!!!
rigrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Wanna trade?

Weather cam at the airport.

It's kinda silly tho, I mean, who lives at the airport anyway.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.

Last edited by Jeffytune; 06-20-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
96 today 96 tuesday but the following day it should cool off to 91
I'm good
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

02_Red_Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was in the Panhandle last week when a cold front came through. It only got up to 96 that day, the rest of the week it was 100+.
02_Red_Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
bike peddler

Scrubs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another "cold" front swept in and broke the string. 19 straight days over 100 with an average high of 103* among those days. It was nice riding yesterday up until 2:00 pm when the mercury topped 97 degrees. Won't be surprised if we hit the all-time record of 117F this year.

Rain that pounded the MetroTex passed us 50 miles south. May be no fireworks on the Fourth Prolly a good thing.

------------------FURY is a 2006 FXSTBi Night Train-----------------

A favorite quote: "You were born an original, don't die a copy."
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubs View Post
Another "cold" front swept in and broke the string. 19 straight days over 100 with an average high of 103* among those days. It was nice riding yesterday up until 2:00 pm when the mercury topped 97 degrees. Won't be surprised if we hit the all-time record of 117F this year.

Rain that pounded the MetroTex passed us 50 miles south. May be no fireworks on the Fourth Prolly a good thing.
First time I was ever in Texas was in about 1990, July, Dallas airport when they had outside baggage claim...110F, but it was a dry heat everybody said, yah right, turns you into sand rather than a puddle of sweat
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

tunnelrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
Wanna trade?

No thanks. Too damn cold for me. I'll take 100 anyday.
tunnelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Custom Builder

Clint50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
109 here in Wichita Falls again,yesterday. This is really getting old.
Clint50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

TUCCI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ahhh it's 108 here today, I don't care...let's meet at the pub and let's ride!

2011 FLHR ROAD KING
96" motor/50w VR1 in winter-60w VR1 in summer/Jackpot 3.5" mufflers/Catalyst removed/SS Stealth AC/Mustang solo seat with backrest/Santee 14" apes/Road 6 Customs lowering kit/Jagg 10 row oil cooler without thermostat/floorboard extenders/Badlands brake-light kit/Power Commander-5 with modified FM map....
TUCCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I live in San Francisco which has pretty good riding weather in the summer. But anytime I head east, within a half hour I often hit 100+ degree temps in the Central Valley and that can last for a couple of days as the west is covered with deserts. I found a way to deal with the heat.

I have an Aerostitch Darien jacket. Not the most fashionable but quite useful. First, it is fully armored, so it is a good riding jacket. But here is the key. It has a Goretex lining and big pockets on the outside. I buy an 8 pound bag of ice cubes and stuff all the ice cubes into the four large pockets that line the chest area of the jacket. The result is that when I put on the jacket (it is very heavy at that point), I have a very cold jacket next to my chest. This keeps the blood in my chest cool and that cold blood flows to the other parts of my body, like my brain, and I am comfortable.

But it gets even better. I have a big windshield on my fxr. The water melts out and my body doesn't get wet under the jacket because of the Goretex. Some of the water accumulates in the creases of the jacket. Every time I go over one of the tar strips on the superslab, a little bit of water jumps up. The result is that I have in effect a swamp cooler, and the air behind the windshield is cool as the misty water evaporates almost immediately. I wear cloth gloves and I keep dipping my hand in the cold water in the jacket creases and then occasionally rub it all over my face and neck.

Now most of the western states where these deserts exist have helmet laws. I am able to ride through these deserts in temperatures of 106 degrees and sometime higher all day and still be relatively cool and comfy, wearing a helmet. The ice lasts several hours and when I get gas, I also buy another bag of ice cubes and reload the jacket.

So in effect I have an air conditioned Harley that I can ride through the summer heat of the Mojave, Great Basin and Sonora deserts in comfort. That has helped me on a lot of occasions. I hope it helps some of you, too.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Discovered in 1904 by the Germans it's German for whales vagina.
Gunny4Sawx is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint50 View Post
109 here in Wichita Falls again,yesterday. This is really getting old.
Been sitting in Ft. Worth for 10 days now and I don't think theres been a day where it hasn't topped 102 yet. Been getting my riding in but the dang Sun is baking me.

There is no profit in Peace.
Gunny4Sawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Custom Builder

Clint50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wish I could afford to go to Sturgis. Temps there have been in the 80's during the day and high 50's/low 60's at night.
Wichita Falls has been setting heat records almost every day.
Is this a great country or what?
Clint50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement