Custom bolts/screws : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Magnum44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile Custom bolts/screws

Hi, I've been thinking for a while about changing the stock bolts to a good quality ones (aftermarket) but I cannot find much information about this. It would be great to have a thread about this. This is the info I think would be great to compare:

- Different looks (chrome, polished steel, steel...)
- Strenght (grading)
- Brands (Colony, Diamond...)
- Heads (8 point star, hex, torx...)

What I've seen up to now is that the higher grade the better although I don't know what is the grade of the stock bolts to compare. Anybody knows this?

Any recommendation regarding brands? I've been recommended Diamond but no "extended info" about this. Colony looks easier to get (in this country) but I have no info about their durability.

Personally I'm thinking of getting stainless steel polished to look like chrome but knowing that they will last "forever". What do you guys think?
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

DEW2112 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Been using these and am happy with the product. I believe the HD fastners are a grade 8 and these stainless are more like a grade 5 but I have never had any issues with them at all and they look as good as the day I installed them. You must use locktite so there isnt a chemical reaction between the SS and Aluminum.

http://alloyboltz.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=13 Just noticed these are grade 8.

Last edited by DEW2112; 12-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.
DEW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
What bolts do you want to replace?
Uncle Salty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have had no issues using these chrome fasteners ...

http://www.gardner-westcott.com/cgi-...ntCategory=100
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

tussuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just buy high quality stainless and then polish the chit outta them. They look fantastic!

If I had the funds I would buy titanium!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
D.L.R.A #1174
tussuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I'd like to start changing all of them. Not all at once as I would need to strip the bike completely down but have "stock" of bolts and whenever I change a part or do service, change the old ones with new stainless steel ones.

I'm quite "sensitive" about this bolts thing, 1h ago I was about to change the timer cover with a new one and I found another "hidden surprise" of this 2nd hand bike... the heads of the 5 screws of the timer cover were stuck along with the cover! all 5 bolts were broken and rusty, the heads fell to the ground as soon as I touched them. Sht stock bolts!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Colony, Gardner-Wescott, and AlloyBoltz are the top ones....if they dont have it, you aint gonna get it....of course Grainger, MSC, and other industrial suppliers have a large assortment, but you usually have to buy bulk. The other guys have Harley specific fasteners
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Livin' Free Indeed

AzFAL wants to know Dino or Syn?
Used the Alloy Boltz 12 pnt., grade 8, show polish kit when I rebuilt my motor. Looks a lot better than with the stock hardware.

2002 Dyna
117" GMR built
S&S cyl./piston kit
R&R 615/585 cam
10.3:1 CR
GMR CNC heads
45 Mikuni
Fat Cat
DTT ign
AzFAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

What about Diamond Engineering? They look good but they are also pricey. Comparable to Colony or any other?

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

ramcr913 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum44 View Post
What about Diamond Engineering? They look good but they are also pricey. Comparable to Colony or any other?

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com Free App
Regarding Diamond Engineering -http://www.depss.com/-
Haven't used them but they look like nice stuff. Take a look on their home page, and check out the paragraph called "12 Point Bolting System". The washers are the same OD as the bolt heads, and are the same thickness as the grooves cut into the bolt heads. The result is a "one-piece" look. Yep, they are pricey though.
ramcr913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.