Painting Inner Fairing Help : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

anthonyflhx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Painting Inner Fairing Help

I was going to go with air gun and compressor route to paint my inner fairing but read a few posts online that others have used rattle can paint and came out with near show quality results. Its all in the prep.
So I opted to try that route and see if I can save some on equipment.

As you can see Im haivng one heck of a time. Im using duplicolor high gloss black and my results keep showing up as flat black. This is 3 coats with wet sanding in between first 2 coats, waiting one day in between each coat.

Any advise on what Im doing wrong or need to do? I cant se how adding a clear coat will make this thing shine up to mirror like finish. Or will it? I would think high gloss would at least offer some shine in and by itself. Please help.

anthonyflhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have painted quite a few bikes over the years and it looks to me your not getting close enough and needs to go on alittle heavier so it shines while wet.also you can sand down with 600 or 1000 grit paper and clear coat and that will make it pop.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
i like kylon spray bombs the best
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

anthonyflhx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the replies. I started with Krylon Fusion and had same results. Actually, I sprayed it heavier and got a nice wet look. didnt sand, then clear coated a day later and it dulled up quick to almost a clear flat black look.

So I thought what the heck, let me try a high gloss paint. Sanded everything back down, primed it, then added the coats. Actually, first two coats were kinda heavy and I was advised to spray lighter coats.

So your suggesting wet sanding to smooth er out, then hit her with a heavier base coat. Then I think wait three days and then clear coat? Would I need to wet sand heavy base coat before clear coating?
Thanks for your help.
anthonyflhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
you now have a mess on your hands....spray bombs are for lawn furniture, not your HD. You can get AUTOMOTIVE PAINT in spray bombs tho....
The problem you now have is two or three coats of uncatalyzed air dry enamel-ish paint on this, along with likely some lacquer-ish primer. All dissimilar types and or brands of paint. What you need to bring out a hard durable gloss is a catalyzed clear, which will remain to be seen if it's compatible with what you already sprayed. You do need wet coats to allow the paint to "flow out", thats what creates gloss. Unfortunately, some spray cans will dry either too fast or the evaporation of solvents create texture, which kills the gloss. Look for automotive quality paint in spray cans to get this finished right. Prime it good, with a good primer that will seal the crappy paint u put on first, then use a base coat, then a catalyzed clear. Hope that it all goes well and doesn't wrinkle on you. Good luck.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After...approaching completion.
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement