Big mistake : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

B1gfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Big mistake

So this summer I was at a bike night and they had the bikini girls washing bikes. I opted for it and now regret it. Not sure what happened, but i think they had dirty/sandy water, as I now have a million scratches that look like the washed it using sand paper. Any suggestions to rectify the situation besides a whole new paint job?
B1gfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sua Sponte

RANGER73 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buffing Compound and new clearcoat Brother, That's all you can do, if not then re-paint.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well we all make mistakes but its not the end all. Alot will depend on how deep the scratches are. Anytime I need assistance on the paint & caviar end of things I look towards the resident body & paint guys here at the forum.

You should get ahold of Pat aka Kustomflames or Tim aka 1bdbagr, both are at the top of their game. They are always willing to help out.
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

bigwobbely wants to know Dino or Syn?
KIT scratch out
bigwobbely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

McGinnes_john wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've seen Mcguire's Scratch Remover do an okay job, but the best way is probably a full kit or repaint. I believe 3M used to have a pretty good kit that you could use with a drill. I'm still of the opinion that some scratches add character (or you could interpret that as me making the same mistake several times)
McGinnes_john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks for all the responses. I am still palm to forehead on this one! Anyone with experience with the KIT? If not I will probably contact the pros suggested. Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
If it's 'just' scratches in the paint that don't go to the base coat then I would try Maguires Scratch Remover for clear coat. I used it on the trunk of my car when some dufus woman put her shopping bag on MY car because she didn't want to scratch hers. Luckily, mine came out perfect and you can't tell there were ever any scratches.

Go light and easy, and repeat several times rather than one heavy handed operation.

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depending on the paint job, factory? Aftermarket or Custom paint? Check with a local detail guy who could possibly colorsand then polish the paint. Also depends on how deep scratches are.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
That has always been a huge fear for me. I won't go to one of those bike washes or a high school fundraiser car wash. You KNOW they dropped the sponge on the ground.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

myglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
That is why I never let anyone wash my bike. They wipe wheels and everything that could have grit on it and then right to the paint.
myglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Lesson learned! Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

kp161 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ever tried Zaino? It's been a while but i use to use it on my show cars a lot. I think it's the Z5 you'd be after....but it's a whole process, not a slap on a layer type of product.

http://www.zainostore.com/
kp161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

88XLH_DLX wants to know Dino or Syn?
I spent a couple years as a detailer at a local body shop during college...basically I never used orbital, just a standard buffer. We used 3M products excusively. They were very effective, but it does take some practice to get the procedure down pat.

To get the best result, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

You can start by wet sanding the surface with 1500-2000 wet sandpaper. That gives you a consistant starting point and can remove any scratches. If you're just trying to get rid of swirl marks, you don't have to sand it first.

(the 3M products that I used, use a combination of heat and chemical to work...NEVER NEVER NEVER stop moving the buffer or apply pressure)

Step 1: Using a wool pad, apply Super Duty Rubbing Compound 05954 liberaly and buff at medium speed until compound is worked in completely ... wipe off any remaining residue with a clean cloth
Step 2: Using a wool pad, apply Finness-It -05928 liberaly and buff at a medium-high speed until worked in completely ... wipe off any remaining residue with a clean cloth
Step 3: Using a foam pad, apply Perfect-It -05996 liberaly and buff at a high speed...be sure to keep the pad wet (this is the one that will burn thru quickly if you eff-up) wipe off any residue with a clean cloth
Step 4: Using a microfiber cloth, apply Imperial Hand Glaze -05990 rub by hand until all the chemical disappears. then wipe over with a clean dry microfiber cloth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that is the full process...once i had that perfected, i learned how to manipulate it to fit the condition at hand. starting with step 2 or 3 would be fine for swirl marks...the thing is, these chemicals are not cheap, probably around $100 for the 4 chemicals if you buy small bottles, but they will last a long time. It will give you the best possible result. I know from experience...i took the time to do all this to my car when i worked at the shop. The paint was over 10 years old and sat outside all the time...it looked as good as a new paint job.
88XLH_DLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.