What can I expect to pay for a 2 tone paint job on 2012 Road King? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

C4 Mac wants to know Dino or Syn?
What can I expect to pay for a 2 tone paint job on 2012 Road King?

I went and got a quote today from a good paint shop on a two tone paint job for my new Road King Classic and was kind of shocked to hear $2500-$2750. This is not a stripped down to frame paint job, just fenders, tank and side plastics. I'm going to get a quote from the local dealer to go through their guy, and I'm going to get quotes from at least one other paint shop in town but I'm wondering what kind of price I should be looking for. Again this is a very basic paint job, no special paint, metallic, candy or any of that, just two straight colors. I was expecting and prepared to pay between $1000-$2000 but if I'm looking at more than $2000 it just might not be worth it to me. The bike is currently black and I'm considering going with a white solo seat and white bags as an alternative if I can't find a reasonable price on paint. Thanks in advance for the heads up.

Last edited by C4 Mac; 04-06-2012 at 10:11 PM.
C4 Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

6stringFever wants to know Dino or Syn?
IDK if it's legit, but there are several shops advertising custom paint on eBay. The samples look really good.
6stringFever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

zigzagman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I hope that price includes tin removal and replacement. A show quality 2 tone paint job with painted pinstripe(s) to separate the colors on a road king would run around $1800 at my buddies shop. That would include tin removal and replacement. If you just sent him the tins expect around $1400-$1500.

Don't just go by price, check their references and look at ACTUAL work they have done. Pictures are good for showing artistic talent, but they cannot possibly show quality. Do some research, look for a dedicated custom shop that takes their reputation seriously, the money you expected to spend is right where you should be, you will find someone, be patient.

Here is a link to a page on my buddies site about choosing a custom painter. http://jimperrycustoms.com/choosingapainter.html some of this information may be helpful

Good luck to you, and you are now obligated to post pics of your finished bike as well as your experiences getting it done!
zigzagman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringFever View Post
IDK if it's legit, but there are several shops advertising custom paint on eBay. The samples look really good.
You need to be careful of some of the lowballers on eBay...there are some good ones on there, but a few bad ones too. You need to realize that materials cost will run you a minimum of $250-350 at the low end for QUALITY materials So anyone doing custom paint for $600-800 is either using some cheap materials, skipping steps, or BOTH.

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Okay my input here ~ you have a black base, use that as your base for the two tone. Add a color to it - white or white pearl, clear it. Wetsand it to eliminate the raised edges and then reclear it. You could easily add a little flake to the clear to give your black base a hint of flake as well as a little more sparkle to the white.

Using your existing black base and adding to it, you should be saving a nice chunk of change there...so I would want to pay UNDER $1500 for sure if I were you.

Sold!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

6stringFever wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom_flames View Post
You need to be careful of some of the lowballers on eBay...there are some good ones on there, but a few bad ones too. You need to realize that materials cost will run you a minimum of $250-350 at the low end for QUALITY materials So anyone doing custom paint for $600-800 is either using some cheap materials, skipping steps, or BOTH.
Yeah, I kind of figured an awesome paint job for under a grand was probably questionable.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
6stringFever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
as Pat said, quality materials cost $$$$. So does decent labor. There comes a point where something has to give, if it is too cheap, they either cut corners on prep or materials, or both. Hell, the materials alone to do my bike were $1800. Rep counts for a lot as opposed to someone on e-bay vs someone with an established rep and portfolio. Like Pat...
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks for the input everyone, as it progresses I'll post pics and tell the tale. The black is going to be gone, I'm getting it two toned red and white. Red on top, white wrapping like a 50's-60's cruiser. Easter weekend has all the shops closed, I'll have to check on Tuesday.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

OK...I thought maybe you had wanted to keep the black and then add another color to that. I would think a candy apple red with a white pearl twotone, maybe separated by a silver pinstripe would look real sharp then!

Keep in mind with two tones, you will really need to load on that clear so you don't feel any raised edges. On your 5 pieces, 2 grand is not an obscene amount to pay for such a paint job...

Also keep in mind, reds are the most expensive due to the pigments. A quart of paint at 2:1 will be more than enough to squirt your whole bike though. Now if you do go with a candy than that 1 quart is for base and then you'll need about the same amount in candy (give or take) then prob a pint of second color, then as I said a good amt of clear. It will need to be shot in stages. First stage to cover everything and that gets wetsanded to try and flatten out the edges. Then your final stage of clear to bury everything underneath.

Just giving you some idea of materials in case they tell you they're going to need alot more than they will. Heck even a pint at 1:1 could be enough to shoot your stuff in one color...

Sold!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

[QUOTE=6stringFever;2114995]Yeah, I kind of figured an awesome paint job for under a grand was probably questionable.

In most cases you are right. I have heard complaints about some ebay painters from people that have contacted me. Have not come in to contact with many ebay paint sets firsthand though...

You have to also keep in mind, that eBay charges a real big chunk now in fees too! So that $700 paint job at buy it now, the seller is paying probably close to $90 in fees and then ebay takes out fees on shipping too...another 10%!

Sold!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

1320str8_liner wants to know Dino or Syn?
C4 MAC, I see you are kinda local, there is a guy in Bridge city, which is about 45min for your location, "You want find anyone better", I have a street glide and was quoted a price of 3k, but thats 2-tone, any color including candy, with any graphics I choose, I have a lot more pieces (Tank, inner/outer fairing, lowers, stretched bags, tourpack) and he is awsome, it would be worth the drive, just to see his work, he paints show bikes, guys from all around come to him, he is awesome with graphics, for your job 2-2500, sounds about right...
1320str8_liner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I found a guy locally who specializes in painting bikes, went in and showed him my bike and what I wanted and he quoted me a REALLY low price. When he first told me $800-$1000 my gut reaction was holy **** that's a ridiculously good price, but then logic kicked in and I started to get that "if it's too good to be true" vibe. So I walked around his shop for a good 20 minutes looking at the dozen or so bikes he had in various stages of the process. Probably half of them were finished. The guy has been painting bikes for 26 years, he has a pretty nice big shop with a booth and he uses PPG paint. The price was for straight color, no candy, no metallic, no pearl plus clear coat. He said the pearl was triple coat and would run another $200-$300 per color. I'm going for a 50's-60's look so I don't think I want pearl, candy or metallic. He went over a lot of the details that I hadn't considered, such as now would be the time to change the stock tail light bar if I wanted to do it, and he said replacing the stock HD tank placards was probably going to be necessary because the new plastic ones they use are two sided taped on from the factory and they can break pretty easily trying to remove them. I found a really sharp set of old school HD tank badges that will go perfect on the bike with the new old school paint scheme. I also told him instead of pin-striping I'd like to take 1/4 inch flexible automotive chrome trim and run the paint seem. I think that would have a real cool old time look from the chrome and neon diner years. Anyhow, I need to decide how I want the paint lines to run on the tank and fenders, he won't be able to get my bike in until sometime next week so I have about a week to figure it out. I think I'm going to see about paying a few hundred extra to get a couple extra coats of clear put on. Thanks a lot guys for the advice and information. Now I will have the extra scratch to get the tan solo seat and either get the stock bags reupholstered in tan or get new ones. Really stoked to get this thing done!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I bought the new tank emblems and dropped the bike off at the paint shop this morning, hopefully he'll have it done by the end of next week. I'll post pics when it's finished, even if it turns out I made a bad decision people can see what the price of this paint job can get you...
Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

rscalzo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I unfortunately had to drop off the car for some body repair at the shop. I was talking to the owner who was telling me the cost of some of the newer paints used today. When you see the big numbers on those costs, simply look at what the paints cost.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
I unfortunately had to drop off the car for some body repair at the shop. I was talking to the owner who was telling me the cost of some of the newer paints used today. When you see the big numbers on those costs, simply look at what the paints cost.
you aren't kidding, quality paint costs $$$$$. Too many shops cut corners on materials, whether skipping steps or using cheap product, or on labor. Cheap isn't always good and Good isn't always Cheep...
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.