What can I expect to pay for a 2 tone paint job on 2012 Road King? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

C4 Mac wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I'm hoping I get lucky here, the job is pretty simple so all he needs is two colors and clear. He only uses PPG paint and I know they are good paint. Maybe he gets a good price on the paint because the plant is in our town here. Either way I'll post pics as soon as I get it back.
C4 Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I would go with a traditional two tone layout if you want that retro feel and the extra clear is a must if you want to have no raised edges...good luck, hope it comes out well!

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

What exactly does the traditional two tone layout look like? I have a couple days to hammer out details with him and I'd definitely like a good retro look. I asked him how many coats of clear he is putting on and he said three or four depending. There shouldn't be any raised edges as my paint job will have no decals or pinstriping. Still I want as much clear as possible to protect the paint and give me a good surface to polish when necessary.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The new '59 Panhead tank emblems arrived today, I'm going to drop them off at the paint shop tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I got a call from the paint shop today asking me to come take a look at the lines they had laid out for the paint. The white base had already been laid down and they were ready to put on the red and they wanted to ask me where I wanted the new tank emblems. We adjusted the lines where I wanted them, although the tank lines were what I wanted right off the bat. I stuck around for a half hour or so while he sprayed on three coats of red and peeled the tape so I could see how it looked. I think the clear coats will go on tomorrow once the red is dry. Anyhow, here are the tins, tank and side plastics. He had to do a little more with the side plastics so the tape is still on and you can't see the white, but I laid out the lines with him exactly where I wanted them on the plastics and I think they will look good.

Last edited by C4 Mac; 04-24-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I got the chrome trim in and brought it to the paint shop. I'm blown away by how much this paint job is starting to look like what I had in my head. The tiny chrome strip makes a HUGE difference in the look, really makes the retro stand out. I will be picking the bike up on Monday, my paint guy is out of town for the weekend.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
very nice!
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

As promised I got the bike back from the paint shop today and here is a complete set of pictures.

In the end overall I'm happy with how it turned out. There are a few things here and there that make me grind my teeth but for the most part it's pretty good. I would like to have moved the tank badges back towards the seat just a little bit more, maybe an inch. I would have liked to bring the red on the tank down just a little bit, maybe an inch again. I'm really happy with the way the chrome trim turned out in place of the pinstriping. I think the black seat and saddlebags actually look pretty decent, but I'm still thinking tan leather would look better in it's place. Total price was $1000 for paint, $189 for tank badges and mounting brackets, $15 for chrome pinstriping and $140 for complete detailing of bike while the tins and tank were off. Detailer did a great job with the engine, wire wheels and whitewalls.

Last edited by C4 Mac; 04-30-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'd say it looks pretty darn good overall...the location of the tank emblems looks good to me...You also got a pretty smokin deal I'd say too!

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

spdrcr137 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks really slick, that chrome trim was a great idea
spdrcr137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg MacD wants to know Dino or Syn?
http://www.attitudecustompainting.com/

I have used this guy in Florida, great work, good pricing.

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.