Draining Fuel Tank : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mtnLeo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Draining Fuel Tank

What's a good way to drain the fuel tank without spraying fuel all over the bike and the lift and my tools (as I have already done!)?

04 Fat Boy - stock TC 88 - Andrews TW37B - RB Racing Pro Stock - Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro
mtnLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Black Magic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just siphoned it out with a hose..
Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Make sure you have a good container that is large enough {i.e. plan ahead}. The key to using a siphon tube is to "blow first" & listen for the bubbles.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
I HATE 'bing'...

TriLs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check the H-D Service Manual. The whole procedure is right there!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble,
it's what you know for sure that just ain't so..."

Mark Twain

Live well...Love faithfully...Laugh often.

"Spirit", a Vivid Black '09 TriGlide, 103" stock, V&H Dresser slipons,
SE Stage 1 A/C, SERT, fairing-mounted oil temp, Zumo 660, small
bits o' glitz, and HD foggies on dedicated foot pegs.

http://www.ecclesia-ministries.org

TriLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
You could hook up a vac pump to the petcock. I have never done this. Might take awhile.

I am looking for a cheap transfer pump to suck the old gas out of things that have been sitting.

This summer I bought quick disconnect for the cross over hose, but have not installed it.

What I do is get a bucket, funnel, hoses, and in my underwear, in the driveway, just pull the cross over fast, as I lift the tank up. Then hose all of us off.
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mtnLeo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for all the advice, guy's. I did have a look at the service manual I have for my bike. It still was a bit messy. Wasn't much I could see doing about it really. But the job is done.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the hose off of the fuel pump...

04 Fat Boy - stock TC 88 - Andrews TW37B - RB Racing Pro Stock - Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro
mtnLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

R_W_B wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I'm a little late coming in on this thread, but awhle back I made this video of how I do mine.

R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
NUG
Seasoned Rider

NUG wants to know Dino or Syn?
RWB. Thanks for taking the time to make this video. Sure made clean work out of the tank removal.
NUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bon temps rouler!

mfalba wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm assuming the you need to drain the tank in order to remove it. Here is how I do it with out spilling a drop, even with the tank completely full.

The crossover is 5/16" fuel line that you can get at any auto parts store, have some on hand to make a new crossover.

Place two small needle nose vice grips or any other type of clamp on the crossover and cut in-between the clamps.

Remove the tank, release one clamp and drain the tank into a gas can. when you replace the tank, make a new crossover out of the new 5/16" fuel like and secure it with two new worm clamps.

2002 FLHPI: SE Cast 95" Flat tops, Heads by Bean, Stock TB Bored by Hillside, Andrews TW21, Supertrapp SuperMeg 20 disks w/endcap, Jagg Oil Cooler, Glide Pro Stabilizing System, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey.

2006 FLSTCI: SE Cast 95" 10.25:1, Super Stock Heads by Dan Baisley, 50mm SE TB, Woods TW6G, D&D Fat Cat with QB, Jagg Oil Cooler, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey
mfalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like Mikes procedure on what & how to do it.
I am in the midst of doing some major mods to my ride this winter which includes a 2.5'' tank raise in the front & a 1'' raise in the rear mount. I am also going to relocate the crossover to the rear of the tank so it fits over the backbone & will no longer present any difficulties removing the tank in the future. Done Deal

Dare

2000 FXST
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

R_W_B wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used to use Mike's method, only I would drain it before removing the tank, and then remove the crossover cuts pieces. Every time I didn't the clips would drag up along the frame and snag on something or scratch the paint. The Dynas are the worst since their crossover bibbs face towards each other. This forces the line right up against the frame hard as you bring the tank up.

The FL's are not faced that away but rather more straight forward. With them you have enough slack just to put some quick disconects in and then you have it without even emptying the tank at all.
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

UnSafe wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use a variation of the clamp/ cut and replace the crossover hose. I use conical neoprene hose plugs that I found in the washer/faucet repair area at the hardware store for $0.21 each.

Clamp in 2 places about 2" apart, cut hose with a rag underneath. Plug both ends and pull the tank off without my vise grip pliers clanking into everything on the way off and then remembering that I forgot to pull the fuel gauge plug. BTDT

If it's a carbed bike, turn the petcock off and run it dry first. A bit less gas to spill when pulling the carb.
UnSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bon temps rouler!

mfalba wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSafe View Post
I use a variation of the clamp/ cut and replace the crossover hose. I use conical neoprene hose plugs that I found in the washer/faucet repair area at the hardware store for $0.21 each.

Clamp in 2 places about 2" apart, cut hose with a rag underneath. Plug both ends and pull the tank off without my vise grip pliers clanking into everything on the way off and then remembering that I forgot to pull the fuel gauge plug. BTDT

If it's a carbed bike, turn the petcock off and run it dry first. A bit less gas to spill when pulling the carb.
Neoprene hose plugs, excellent!

2002 FLHPI: SE Cast 95" Flat tops, Heads by Bean, Stock TB Bored by Hillside, Andrews TW21, Supertrapp SuperMeg 20 disks w/endcap, Jagg Oil Cooler, Glide Pro Stabilizing System, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey.

2006 FLSTCI: SE Cast 95" 10.25:1, Super Stock Heads by Dan Baisley, 50mm SE TB, Woods TW6G, D&D Fat Cat with QB, Jagg Oil Cooler, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey
mfalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement