Paint my engine? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

90springer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Paint my engine?

What kinda paint should I use and how do I do it.
90springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Take it all apart and send it to Sumax to be powder coated.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

What should I kinda price u think im looking at
Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Checked into the powder coating of the engine just to pricey for me right now. What kinda paint do u guys suggest to paint over parts.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I did my old shovel years ago with just a spray can of high temp engine paint sold at the indy. Just carefully taped things off and it came out pretty good.

Quick, easy and cheap.

Not show bike quality, but it was a big improvement.

But that's me, quick easy and cheap

rkc
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

i think thats the best way for me. I'm doing a ground up "rat" bike if you will. so I wanted to look worn and used, and done all by me.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am going to be painting mine this winter, It's blonde right now but will soon be black.
I have heard of the VT line I believe its called but for this project I think I'm going to get the HD textured rattle can. Ya its more $$ but I don't want to be standin there thinkin "wish I hada"... Not unless I can find textured black in the quart then I'll shoot it myself with the cup gun. The key will be to getter lickity clean and wipe it with metal prep to open it up.
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maguyver wants to know Dino or Syn?
don't do it if you don't have to, for some reason the guy i bought my 03 Fatboy from decided to paint the engine white to match the frame and now im stuck with a yellow chipping back to black engine...... and i really don't want to take a perfectly running engine apart just to make it look good lol i might just go get a can or two from the corner and paint it black and watch it chip off to white then black lol.... . IMO if your going to do it, do it right and get it Power Coated
Maguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
WFO

mtrhead269 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Powder coat. They charge by the total job not ind. parts more you powdercoat the cheaper per part. Last job i did was bars,heat shields,shifter,brake lever,rocker boxes,lifter block,clutch cover,primary etc. - total cost was under $275
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Found out the other day the trick is to use a flex agent in the paint. That come from a well known painter with years of custom painting.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

HD_Tech680 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The type of paint depends on the color. If you're doing any color other than black, I'd recommend powder coating. It stands up much better, and when processed correctly, it will not discolor from engine heat.

If you want to paint it black, it's cheaper to go with Harley's Black Wrinkle engine paint. It's available through the P&A catalog. It's easy to apply and is the same paint they use to "black out" an engine at the factory.
HD_Tech680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

TOMCENTRAL wants to know Dino or Syn?
There are 2 different HD wrinkle black paints.Get the right one for your application.Regards,Tom
TOMCENTRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

nightrob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just my 2 cents, but the VHT holds up better than the HD stuff and its cheaper and easier to use. I have exchanged countless cans of the HD wrinkle because it wouldnt spray correctly.

2007 FXSTB

"Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood."
Friedrich Nietzsche
nightrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmeaway View Post
Found out the other day the trick is to use a flex agent in the paint. That come from a well known painter with years of custom painting.
A flex agent? Flex agents are designed for use on items such as plastic bumpers...and it's purpose is so the piece can be flexible for INSTALL ONLY. In a matter of days...those flexible properties have diminished.

I've used some VHT paint you can get at any FLAPS and it is rated for something like 1300-1700 degrees (I forget which). MORE than you need...

Regular automotive paints will not hold up to heat above about 250-300 degrees, so those will break down on you...

Again, Pcoat is the way to go if you want longevity...but I think a VHT paint for the OP's project might be a viable option.

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

[QUOTE=kustom_flames;1901382]A flex agent? Flex agents are designed for use on items such as plastic bumpers...and it's purpose is so the piece can be flexible for INSTALL ONLY. In a matter of days...those flexible properties have diminished.

I'll have to throw that question back in his direction ... but he cited alot of cases where he used it and I have seen the product results. I just happened to run into him one day.

Thanks for the heads up Flames
Sponsored Links
Advertisement