V-Twin Forum banner

Need help and/or tips on painting black cherry

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  kustom_flames 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am new here. I just picked up a 1987 Sportster. I plan on doing a new paint job myself this winter (somewhat on a budget). I was thinking about going with black cherry, I really like the color and the way the light affects it. I have had some experience with painting and body work before, but never anything like this. I have searched in here for similar jobs, but have not found what I am looking for. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thank you all in advanced.

#3 ·
the (IMO) BEST black cherry mixes are always multi-stage paints. Base/pearl/clear or base/candy + pearl/clear....its all pretty subjective, just depends on your personal tastes. My buddy had a BEAUTIFUL take on HD's black cherry pearl with just a touch of ice pearl mixed in. Looked real dark sometimes, then when light hit it BAM. It takes a lot of test panel painting, a fair bit of material and practice to get what you want. I'm torn between black cherry pearl (tweaked), and a Lexus red heavy metallic or a straight red flake with a apple red & brandywine mix on my next bike. its just gonna be some shade of red with some HoK shimrin flame licks. Something bright!!!

Go to your local paint jobber and look thru their paint chips in the light...that will help. Second good thing is that its a Sporty tank and assuming a f & r fenders....that should be much easier to do than a bagger w/ batwing...
Tim

#4 ·
Tim, I gotta ask if you photo shopped the engine on the train. Or was it being in the right place at the right time. Never get tired of lookin' at your ride.
Dave

#9 ·
test panels are the only way to go, try house of kolor,and try this combo, black let it kick (20 minutes, no strings) shoot a clear coat, then with a flake gun blow the flake into the clear ( this way the flake doesn't lay flat) then top coat with Kandy red (mix hardener in the red) and clear (UC 35) over that (also with hardener) til you cover the flake.

#10 ·
ive been using the HoK SG150 flake carrier....it works for me wayyy better than getting dry flake all over the place. The bike in sig was done with that system.
I do think the OP's original thought was a Black Cherry pearl i just took it off topic by discussing flakes and kandies...
Tim

#11 ·
I agree with Tim. He wants to do it himself...less steps and ease of application is the way to go. If you want purple - you can go with HD black cherry which is just a pearl. If you want something a bit more trick, then adding ice pearl flake directly to the kandy is a very good alternative. Buying a special gun to shoot large flake out of is not cost effective for a DIYer. HOK metajuls could be if the guy already has a dedicated primer gun. But really - black base, ice pearl in with your kandy, then clear - will not get much simpler for a great black cherry base...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.