Black ice/White ice 2010 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

angelflights wants to know Dino or Syn?
Black ice/White ice 2010

I want to know how much it would cost and qts. required of the white ice/ black ice paint, so I can paint my scoots tins and tankand bags.

Who can do it the cheapest, if I take in the tins. I like the limited scheem, maybe a different layout of the two-tone arangement found on the Ultra Limited.

Feel free to e-mail me. Ben
angelflights is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It will all depend on the mix ratio of the paints. If it's a 1:1, you can probably get by with 1 qt each. Especially if you are going to do a 2tone application. If you buy HD branded paint and it is a 4:1 ration, than you will need 2 qts each easily. I haven't actually seen the colors you are referring to in person, but chances are the white will be a tri-stage. Now, the way I might go about doing that job with HOK paints...is to do a white pearl for the white and then shoot your contrasting color the black ice (which looks more blue in the pics). So you shoot all white first, then your white pearl mid coat, then a midclear. Mask off for your black ice. Shoot that color, and then once you take the tape off, you can add some HOK Ice White Pearl (dry flake) to your clearcoat and you would have a more sublte effect on the white pearl, and you would see more flake in your darker color on the bottom...Anyways, just one idea.....

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ultraplusrotax wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am the glad owner of the 2010 UC in Ice White Pearl & Ice Black Pearl, it's a beauty.
Ordered September 2009 for delivery April 2010. They were custom made [C] untill May.
Last week I was at the Benelux HOG rally, there was a Dutch couple with the UC K 103 c.i; people were enthousiast about that colour scheme.
Look in GALLERY for a picture. The beauty of the colors cannot be captured in a photograph.

I think you need a very professional painter to obtain that illuminating pearl-effect .
Good luck.
ultraplusrotax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

y2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
pat could pull it off, black ice goes to purple, the white is a very pearly color.
y2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

motorheads5 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
That sound's very nice
motorheads5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Hey there's Dave! I forgot you had the black ice on yours...

Sold!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

zigzagman wants to know Dino or Syn?
You are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment if "Who can do it the cheapest?" is a consideration. The person you want to spray these colors will not come cheap, the ones who "think" they can do it will come cheap. I wish you luck on that end.
The Black Ice is available through your HD dealer, it is a single stage paint though, and according to my paint guy is inferior to what he uses. He's like Pat, and uses PPG and HOK exclusively. I'm thinking the white ice is the same pearl sprayed over a white base instead of a black base.
If you want this to look as good or better than a factory paint job, you will need a pro who specializes in motorcycles. There are a few on this forum that can help.
How many parts are there?
Tank
front fender
rear fender
2 side covers
2 saddle bags
2 saddle bag lids
front fairing
tour pak?
tour pak lid?
Thats a lot of parts, how many hours do you think a painter would spend prepping, painting, and polishing these parts? 10 hours? 20 hours? How about 35 to 40 real hours. What is a fair labor rate to you? $25 per hour? $50? or how about the HD rate of $82. Now materials, do you want the $50 a gallon clear, or do you want the $200 a gallon clear.

Sorry Ben, I'm not trying to be an a$$, but hanging out with a custom painter has shown me there is a tremendous amount of work and detail that go into painting a bike that most car painters don't recognize untill they are so deep in they can't get out. That's when the problems start.

I highly reccommend a pro, but at least find a reputable painter with some references. By the way, that many pieces at my buddies shop done in a two-tone with a seperation pinstripe would easily run $2000 or more depending on the condition of the parts. With an appointment, 10 to 14 days, and its done!

Good luck to you! do some research before spending your money, and you'll have a good experience.
zigzagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagman View Post
You are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment if "Who can do it the cheapest?" is a consideration. The person you want to spray these colors will not come cheap, the ones who "think" they can do it will come cheap. I wish you luck on that end.
The Black Ice is available through your HD dealer, it is a single stage paint though, and according to my paint guy is inferior to what he uses. He's like Pat, and uses PPG and HOK exclusively. I'm thinking the white ice is the same pearl sprayed over a white base instead of a black base.
If you want this to look as good or better than a factory paint job, you will need a pro who specializes in motorcycles. There are a few on this forum that can help.
How many parts are there?
Tank
front fender
rear fender
2 side covers
2 saddle bags
2 saddle bag lids
front fairing
tour pak?
tour pak lid?
Thats a lot of parts, how many hours do you think a painter would spend prepping, painting, and polishing these parts? 10 hours? 20 hours? How about 35 to 40 real hours. What is a fair labor rate to you? $25 per hour? $50? or how about the HD rate of $82. Now materials, do you want the $50 a gallon clear, or do you want the $200 a gallon clear.

Sorry Ben, I'm not trying to be an a$$, but hanging out with a custom painter has shown me there is a tremendous amount of work and detail that go into painting a bike that most car painters don't recognize untill they are so deep in they can't get out. That's when the problems start.

I highly reccommend a pro, but at least find a reputable painter with some references. By the way, that many pieces at my buddies shop done in a two-tone with a seperation pinstripe would easily run $2000 or more depending on the condition of the parts. With an appointment, 10 to 14 days, and its done!

Good luck to you! do some research before spending your money, and you'll have a good experience.
Well said! You hit it right on the head too...covering all aspects. Only thing you got wrong was the clearcoat, which costs me over $400 for a gallon setup . And honestly, that paint from HD will be Huge Dollars! I have come across some of their paints that were over $200 for a quart, and with the coarse flake on the black ice, that is some expensive paint there. I referenced the HOK Ice White Pearl b/c you could easily replicate a similar effect and save a few bucks too. You do the separation with your white and your black or deep blue-purple pearl (HOK Lake Violette would be real nice) and then you shoot the Ice White Pearl mixed in to your clear over all the parts. You'd have a white pearl and a deep base that would look like a starry night...be very nice!

Sold!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom_flames View Post
Well said! You hit it right on the head too...covering all aspects. Only thing you got wrong was the clearcoat, which costs me over $400 for a gallon setup . And honestly, that paint from HD will be Huge Dollars! I have come across some of their paints that were over $200 for a quart, and with the coarse flake on the black ice, that is some expensive paint there. I referenced the HOK Ice White Pearl b/c you could easily replicate a similar effect and save a few bucks too. You do the separation with your white and your black or deep blue-purple pearl (HOK Lake Violette would be real nice) and then you shoot the Ice White Pearl mixed in to your clear over all the parts. You'd have a white pearl and a deep base that would look like a starry night...be very nice!

reminds me of a paint job I once had....
Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Yeah! So I 'may' be doing a show at OCC in Oct...will keep you posted Dave...

Sold!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

zigzagman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thought I heard wrong when Jim said $400 a gallon for clear, I guess he wasn't exaggerating.
zigzagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Yeah! So I 'may' be doing a show at OCC in Oct...will keep you posted Dave...
let me know, I still need to venture up your way sometime this summer
Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagman View Post
I thought I heard wrong when Jim said $400 a gallon for clear, I guess he wasn't exaggerating.
Nope! PPG clear runs me about $240 /gal. Reducer is $65 and hardner is just under $100...WITH my discount!

Sold!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
let me know, I still need to venture up your way sometime this summer
Cool deal brother, will do and hope to see you guys again soon!

Sold!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Cool deal brother, will do and hope to see you guys again soon!
we will be heading to laconia on saturday, if I can persuade my buddies, I will give you a call then....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement