PPG codes for 105th Paint : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

TRazzo wants to know Dino or Syn?
PPG codes for 105th Paint

Does anyone have the PPG paint codes for the 105th Anniversary Copper Pearl color? I am going to paint a tour pack, lowers and the inner fairing on my 08 SG and would rather not pay the crazy prices the dealer wants. Thanks all!
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If you took your side cover in to a PPG distributor, they could mix that color for you by putting on the color eye to get the formula.

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know if that worked for pearl colors or not.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Yup, they will be able to mix it right up. I've had PPG mix me everything from vivid black, to that real nice deep cobalt pearl, to jade sunglo...perfect match every time! But, do make sure you bring them in a side cover for an exact match...just makes life easier.

Sold!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

When I painted my metric bike (I have seen the light and repented) I took in a side cover and they matched it up without the color eye, and did a remarkable job - I will see if they have one now. I have done quite a bit of painting but not pearl, I am going to do a test sample first before I shoot the bike parts. Anything I need to know about pearl beforehand?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Not really...though most pearls are shot over a white base, so ask them about that. Pearls are pretty easy to shoot. I am assumig you have a decent gun, and place to spray?

Also - inner fairing - if it is black ABS, you need to lay down a plastic adhesion promoter over it first, otherwise you will have issues down the road with the paint not sticking. You can get the stuff in a spray can form for about $10 - money well spent!

You won't need more than 1 pt of paint to do a tourpak and inner, and you will have some leftover even with that. Being a 1:1 reduction, you'll have a qt of sprayable paint.

Sold!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

I am a cabinet maker by trade, and I bought a top notch gun a few years ago and have a good place to spray. My VTX turned Ultra turned out awesome, and it was silver with lots of clear over it and it was PPG urethane. I didn't know if the pearl was a separate coat or it was in the base coat. So I will do primer, base coat, pearl and then clear if I am understanding correctly. Also I am thinking a pint each of basecoat, activator, and pearl, and quart each of clear, primer, & reducer. Thanks for all your help - it is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Cool! Sure you can handle it then! What size tip on that gun? My Iwata guns have a 1.3 and a 1.4 and are great for base and clear. Primer typically needs a bigger nozzle. Ask the paint shop if it requires a base color under the pearl. HD almost always shoots their base over a black sealer, so the white base may not be necessary in this case...

Your materials list sounds about right. You'll probably spend $250 on it. That HD copper will probably run you about $80 or so alone. You may need more reducer, but start with a qt. You may be able to use the same reducer throughout. Also PPG shop line primer is very good - JP202, if they have that in qts, use it - lays down super flat!

Good luck!

Sold!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

someone posted this color chart, and there is nothing about a pearl coat for any colors. Are they true pearl or are they just using the pearl name in their paint? I have seen true pearls, they change colors in the sun, and my paint doesn't look like true pearl. Pricing the HD paint at Zanotti's came up with $246 for a quart each of paint, primer, activator, and clear. I can get the reducer locally.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PM_Air_Dry_Paint_2008.pdf (446.9 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by TRazzo; 03-15-2009 at 12:41 PM.
TRazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

It probably is just a pearl basecoat, not a tri-stage pearl. I got an 05 Chevy Colorado in copper and PPG mixed me up some base and it was just that...

Sold!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom_flames View Post
It probably is just a pearl basecoat, not a tri-stage pearl. I got an 05 Chevy Colorado in copper and PPG mixed me up some base and it was just that...
Sorry for all the questions! The paint chart doesn't show a basecoat for that color (I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't take one though), so would it be in with the color coat? I have a HD parts guy here in Spokane that is a painter also so I can ask him on Tuesday too. Thanks again for all your help - this is a new thing for me and I don't want to screw it up!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

HD almost always (if not always) goes over a black sealer. If the copper HD color is anything like the copper on my truck it is just a basecoat, no special color under.

Sold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement