How to paint the plastic : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Sheetmetal, Bodywork and Custom Painting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

crzrlou wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question How to paint the plastic

I have painted medal a few times but I have never painted plastic. I am getting ready to paint my FLHT and there are 2 plastic side covers and a plastic fairing on it. If I sand off all the shine and then base paint and clear coat them like I do the medal will the paint stick ok or do I have to do something else to them since they are plastic??? Thanks for any info on this. Lou
crzrlou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
No need to scuff if you apply a plastic adhesion promoter down first. It's basically like a spray glue...then prime, base, clear....

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

timbo141 wants to know Dino or Syn?
1. If your pieces are already painted (factory paint job) Clean with water based cleaner followed by solvent based cleaner, sand reclean and paint.
2. If they are already primed, then sand clean and paint.
3. If they are raw plastic, clean, degloss, reclean then apply plastic adhesion promoter and paint.
It is recommended to follow the paint system you are using recommended procedures.
timbo141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I was assuming they are that black semigloss ABS, NON-Painted. If they have already been painted, then scuff the clear with 600grit WET, prime and go.....

Sold!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Adleyy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi,
Dude i don't understand What are you really want to say.
So please clear with your thoughts.So, We understand you easily
And may provide some better help to you.
You can also find me at my signature.
I will gonna happy to help you.
Thanks

Last edited by YankeeBob; 03-13-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: link removed
Adleyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

shrinkman2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Clear used over paint is very similar to glass, it's highly non-porous. Therefore simply sanding is a gamble, as paint needs something to bind into (like porus metal or primer). The different paint companies make an adhesion promoter designed to stick to these clears before recoating. I believe your plastic parts are clear coated. Even if they are not painted but molded with color throughout, an adhesion promoter is still cheap insurance against peeling. As small as these two pieces are there is a product called "Bulldog" adhesion promoter in an aerosol can. Works well. Do a google search and you'll find them..Good luck
R&R 525 Cams
Gary Williams Heads/Builder
R&R Internal cam plate/oil pump
K&N Air Filter
Fullsac True Dual kit
Vance & Hines slip-ons
SE High Perf clutch spring
MRC Easy Clutch
Mikuni 42 Carb

Last edited by shrinkman2; 02-06-2009 at 10:51 AM.
shrinkman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

SVD999 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo141 View Post
1. If your pieces are already painted (factory paint job) Clean with water based cleaner followed by solvent based cleaner, sand reclean and paint.
3. If they are raw plastic, clean, degloss, reclean then apply plastic adhesion promoter and paint.
It is recommended to follow the paint system you are using recommended procedures.
WELL SAID GREAT ANSWER YOU DO NOT NEED ADHESION PROMOTER ON PROPERLY SANDED AND PREPPED PAINT LISTEN TO TIMBO THE MAN KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT
SVD999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

If you are painting on plastic - you NEED an adhesion promoter if you want it to stick for more than a few weeks/months...

Now if the plastic has already been painted (and hopefully done properly) you can get by with scuffing the clear and painting over without a promoter.

If going over bare ABS plastic, scuffing is usually not enough...

Sold!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

kansasroadking wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo141 View Post
100%

timbo's right on the money here! couldn't have said it better...

Last edited by kansasroadking; 02-19-2009 at 02:48 AM.
kansasroadking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

romannumal wants to know Dino or Syn?
kustom Flames

I have a 89 fxr and want to paint the side cover that are Black ABS i got a can of flat black plastic spary paint. do i need to clean, sand, clean, then paint?
romannumal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.