Which rider backrest? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Seats and Saddles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Which rider backrest?

I'm looking for suggestions/comments as to what back rest to install on my 11 Roadglide Custom. I have an issue with the lowest disk in my back and I'm thinking that some support might help.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
The HD backrest are excellent,,, at least the one I have. It's an old style on a 93FLHS, mechanically adjustable and folds done on the riders seat for easy of mounting. Once I located the correct position I have never needed to readjust. Some of the newer backrest are (i believe) to be adjustable on the fly. Very good investment for ride comfort and worth the price.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

HD-Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought the Mustang backrest for my 2009 Ultra Classic. It also adjusts, swivels up and down and folds down for easier mounting of the bike. I bought this one because it was about 40% cheaper than HD at the time I was searching... on Ebay.
HD-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

Misterchipster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Share your lower back issue, a fall 25 years ago did my vertebrae in. Can get by but most back rests don't lend the support the lowest vertebrae like. I ended up with a Dyna touring seat (H-D) and a Utopia Mfg back rest. It really is not hard to install and works like a dream. Now those mega mile days are a pleasure again, kinda thinking about something in the Iron Butt range........
Misterchipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I kicked out a chunk of disk at L5-S1, fell out and did a little nerve damage. After having it fished out, I ended up with a bad case of candyass. Sitting on the scooter for more than a hour or so makes my butt and lower back hurt. I have the same issue in a cage or on the sofa, but with them I can move around more, and the lumbar support balloon in my truck seat seems to help some. So at this point I'm just working on getting the scooter set up so I can have several positions to sit in.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Motorhead

OK so I went with the adjustable backrest from the MoCo. The one with the little slide thingy that lets the rest move to where you want it on the go. I can't really adjust it on the go, the heat deflectors make it real hard to reach. But all in all the rest worked out great. I installed the rest, which was cake work. Stayed with the oem RGC seat. Then fooled with the adjustment and handle bar location till I found a position where my arms were straight and I was leaning a little on the rest. Took it for a ride and adjusted the rest a little.

Then over the week end I did a 380 mile run down to the eastern shore and back. Felt great. Even though it was down in the 30's coming home, I never had any discomfort in my butt, back or arms.

So far I'm really happy with it. Wish I could say that about the rest of the scooter, but that's another story.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great to hear. Enjoy
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Warrior72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm glad to hear you were able to find a good riding position. My back sucks also, but when I switched over to mini apes it really helped a lot. You must really wanted to test that backrest, the weather in PA has really been horrible lately.
Warrior72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior72 View Post
I'm glad to hear you were able to find a good riding position. My back sucks also, but when I switched over to mini apes it really helped a lot. You must really wanted to test that backrest, the weather in PA has really been horrible lately.
I'm down on the Mason Dixon line, so I'm seeing high 40 to 50f at least once a week still. Saturday was chilly mid to hi 40's when we rolled out at mid day, and warmed into the low 50's out on the shore. Coming home it was raining a little around the bay, which had me worried, but once we turned north the rain was over. The last 20 miles above Bmore were where the temp really dropped. 34f at my door. I could feel it dropping rapidly the last 10 miles or so. I was actually a little over dressed, my legs were a little cold but my chest was sweating a little. The scooter was as cold as I have ever seen it, running 70mph with the vents closed, the oil was at 160ish. It was really running nice, hot natured bitch that it is. Running/tail lights failed some time during ride. In the group I felt safe enough, but once I peeled off for home I had to run the flashers. Didn't want to get run over in the wee hours of the morning. Turned out to be a wire rubbed through in the LF running lamp. Sharp edge on the lamp casting right were the wires have to bend to enter the mount.