Road King Classic - Riders Backrest - Worth it? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Seats and Saddles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
LET'S RIDE!

harleymike77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Road King Classic - Riders Backrest - Worth it?

I have a 2005 Road King Classic. I just replaced the riders seat with a HD Sundowner, and have sent the seat (yesterday) to "Allen" for a few mods. I am considering the "Screamin' EagleŽ Road King Compact Style Rider Backrest Kit" - Part #52382-07.

Does anyone have any comments on this setup. As well, my Sundowner seat does have the "slit" in it to accomodate this backrest. I'm also wondering - how does this backrest install? Does it bolt to the underside of the seat, or the fender? Just curious.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance, and ride safe,

Mike
harleymike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
hi: also have a rk classic with a sundowner and hd backrest. The backrest bracket bolts to the fender and is braced to the back of the battery box; half hour
tops to install if you haven't done it before. i have two bikes( rkc and ultra) each with a hd back rest bracket installed. i switch one back rest between the two bikes.
2006 sportster roadster
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

sloxl wants to know Dino or Syn?
"Road King Classic - Riders Backrest - Worth it?"

YES.

sloxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
LET'S RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill corkey
hi: also have a rk classic with a sundowner and hd backrest. The backrest bracket bolts to the fender and is braced to the back of the battery box; half hour
tops to install if you haven't done it before. i have two bikes( rkc and ultra) each with a hd back rest bracket installed. i switch one back rest between the two bikes.
Just curious - does the backrest move you forward at all? (I'm hoping NOT, as one of the mods being done to my Sundowner is moving me back 1/2 ").
Old 11-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

piper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Backrest

I have a 2005 flhrc with a tall boy saddle. The backrest moved me foward and at 6'4", 275 lbs I found it very uncomfortable ,even after putting a slight bend in the backrest mounting rods. Needless to say the backrest now resides on the floor of my shed.
piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

kayak99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymike77
I have a 2005 Road King Classic. I just replaced the riders seat with a HD Sundowner, and have sent the seat (yesterday) to "Allen" for a few mods. I am considering the "Screamin' EagleŽ Road King Compact Style Rider Backrest Kit" - Part #52382-07.

Does anyone have any comments on this setup. As well, my Sundowner seat does have the "slit" in it to accomodate this backrest. I'm also wondering - how does this backrest install? Does it bolt to the underside of the seat, or the fender? Just curious.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance, and ride safe,

Mike
I put the SE compact backrest on my RK Classic with the HD (heated) Sun Ray seat and I love it. I had tried the standard backrest but found it too high on my back. This one fits great and is very comfortable

The bracket bolts to the fender and the stem is then put through the slit in the seat. If you planned on using the strap (to hide the slit) just dump it. You'll be glad you did.

I think you made a great choice.
kayak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
LET'S RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak99
I put the SE compact backrest on my RK Classic with the HD (heated) Sun Ray seat and I love it. I had tried the standard backrest but found it too high on my back. This one fits great and is very comfortable

The bracket bolts to the fender and the stem is then put through the slit in the seat. If you planned on using the strap (to hide the slit) just dump it. You'll be glad you did.

I think you made a great choice.
Thanks kayak99 - Did the SE backrest move you forward at all? This is a big concern for me, as I just sent the seat out to have mods done - Including moving me back. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Just curious - does the backrest move you forward at all? (I'm hoping NOT, as one of the mods being done to my Sundowner is moving me back 1/2 ").
Seems not to if backrest is put in the rearmost position of the bracket. there are three positions available in the bracket. Does make you sit up straight which feels like your more forward. See if you can sit on one at a dealer or indi shop.
2006 sportster roadster
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

MountainMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rider backrest is the best comfort upgrade you can buy. I have the SE RK backrest and I never ride without it.

MM
Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Captain Bligh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan
Rider backrest is the best comfort upgrade you can buy.

MM

Roger that. I have a Mustang back rest that is adjustable for height and angle. Any ride longer than 15 minutes, and I'm putting the backrest on. It makes a HUGE difference in comfort and fatigue on road trips.

Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Thanks kayak99 - Did the SE backrest move you forward at all? This is a big concern for me, as I just sent the seat out to have mods done - Including moving me back. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I haven't checked this topic.

No, the SE backrest did not move me forward. I think I have it in the farthest back adjustment. BTW, the larger backrest DID seem to move me forward a little even in the last adjustment. The SE, being smaller hits me in the small of my back. The larger was higher, that probably made a difference.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ColdRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

I have a 2005 RK Custom with a sundowner and a backrest. It's the best thing I have added to my bike. Just lean back and enjoy the ride. I'm 6'5" and go about 300 and have no problems. A Harley tech test rode it and said it was more comfortable than his easy chair!!!
ColdRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
LET'S RIDE!

Road King Classic - Riders Backrest - Worth it?

for all the Feedback, I really appreciate it! I just ordered it.......... along with chrome switches, shortened signal bar, chrome tank bolts, chrome windshield docking hardware, and so on......Man, ya gotta love this time of the year.........
Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Free agent

chrt396 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill corkey
Seems not to if backrest is put in the rearmost position of the bracket. there are three positions available in the bracket. Does make you sit up straight which feels like your more forward. See if you can sit on one at a dealer or indi shop.
I have the same configuration as you and bought the backrest and it sat me too upright! I sold it to a friend that seemed to like it on his Ultra. Did not like it. At least..on the Sundowner!
chrt396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrt396
I have the same configuration as you and bought the backrest and it sat me too upright! I sold it to a friend that seemed to like it on his Ultra. Did not like it. At least..on the Sundowner!
If you see a new SE at a dealership (the SE backrest should be already installed) sit on it and see if you like it better than the larger regular backrest. Won't have the Sundowner seat but it will give you an idea of how it will fit your back.

I bought mine on ebay and saved a bundle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement