V-Twin Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

National VTF members meeting

400K views 7K replies 63 participants last post by  Thermodyne 
#1 · (Edited)
There have been several members across the country expressing an interest lately about meeting up in person. Let's start a real discussion about this and see what we can come up with.

I would begin by proposing a very general idea.

*Pick a spot in the midsection of the US
*Post some suggested dates
*Assess the interest (in terms of numbers)
*Narrow the plan down to a specific location that can accommodate everyone
*Ride, ride, ride

I'll start.

Let's have a general meet-up for members and any friends and significant others who would like to attend.

A 2 or 3 night stay would give time to have a proper meeting and allow for those who may only be able to make a day visit at the beginning or the end.

Something within a 200 mile radius of Kansas City seems pretty neutral and central but we can adjust location based on where the farthest members would be coming from.

My wife and I go to a rally in Panama City Beach, FL and visit friends along the Gulf Coast each spring at the end of April. We could add a week to that trip and say plan this event for late April or early May. This is just a starting point for discussion, any time could be made to work.

The floor is open. Let's hear some ideas.

Updated 9-19-14
----------------------------------------

***here's who seems to be in***

1) G Man - western NC
2) Thermodyne - south central PA
3) BigD - southern LA
4) luvstoride - central NC
5) Homesick - somewhere in missile silo country (we'll try to keep the location close)
6) Alan S - south central LA
7) filterless - MN
8) WEINERDOGBONE - central IN
9) Scrubs - TX
10) bcashin1 - VA
11) Road King Cole - MA
12) Givrsum - ME
13) pjcii - north GA
14) holobach - north GA
15) FXDRYDR - MI
16) bbally - mid W CO
17) coastie - MI
18) jakec - FL panhandle
19) 107inhog - MD
20) jammer45U? - MI

maybes?

21) dynageno? - mid Cali
22) huskerbob? - central NC
23) ncmedic? - N central NC
24) Uncle Salty? - NW LA
25) Gunny4Sawx? - Cali
26) Ahar??? - top left corner

The weekend of June, 5,6,7 has been proposed. <= scratch that

**The weekend of June 12,13,14 is available at The Hub in Marble Falls, AR.**

The place of northwestern Arkansas has been proposed. <= see line above

I will figure out how to apply a poll to this thing so we can vote, maybe. <= see last few pages for "voting"

See less See more
#232 ·
So... We have discussion on a range of places. My druthers is someplace where it should be warm and nice that time of year,
even ass-uming another hard winter as is predicted.

The idea of some place more or less central seems logical. ES is nice and has great riding, the Rt 66 idea is appealing, OK has varied scenery - all pretty good ideas.

I'm good with any of them. Just think we need to settle on the location in the next couple weeks and get on to building an itinerary, finding hotels, making plans, etc. Holidays are right around the corner and time will start flying by.

#246 ·
Stumbled on this place when looking for lodging on my BBQ trip next week.

The Hub - www.hubinfo.com in Marble Falls, Ark

It's biker owned, caters to bikers. Maybe NOK BD can give insight on it, I've only seen the website and talked to them a couple times. I'll stop by next week to check it out personally.

#266 ·
Someone asked about Tornado season. April and May are prime Tornado months. More May than April but, I never spend any time worrying about that stuff. I've lived in a Tornado prone area all my life and we just take the proper precautions if a warning is issued. I don't think it's a deal breaker personally.

#267 ·
It really just impacts the planning and route for the trip. If it's tornado season a little more effort in the plan might be prudent. I've done the earthquake thing. I've ridden in the fringes and leftovers of hurricanes several times. And I spent several hours in the beams of a bridge during a tropical storm in Fla. That one was the worst weather I ever got caught in. Once it passed, there were trucks blown off the road all over the place. I'd actually rather skip the tornado experience all together.

#270 ·
Great discussion going here now.

It seems most agree on the bathrooms idea and beds for the most part.

Outdoor grilling and drinking are must-haves.

I'm ok with planning around prime stormy season, but you can't predict tornadoes like you can a tropical storm or hurricane. Those at least give you plenty of warning they are on the way. I might prefer late may or early half of June myself anyway.

Here is another thought to consider. It seems like a lot of people will have a day or 2 of riding to get there (and then back home). How long do we want to stay? What days of the week? We could give everyone Saturday and Sunday to get there and plan a stay for Mon-Wed. Then head home or onto a "long way home" or whatever.

Days of the week may impact crowds and or rates as much as time of year.

#271 ·
It seems most agree on the bathrooms idea and beds for the most part.
Must have for me. My camping days are long past.

Outdoor grilling and drinking are must-haves.
They go hand in hand with get togethers.

I might prefer late may or early half of June myself anyway.
I'm good with that.

Here is another thought to consider. It seems like a lot of people will have a day or 2 of riding to get there (and then back home). How long do we want to stay? What days of the week? We could give everyone Saturday and Sunday to get there and plan a stay for Mon-Wed. Then head home or onto a "long way home" or whatever.

Days of the week may impact crowds and or rates as much as time of year.
I'm flexible there.

#275 ·
This date-frame makes the most sense to me...just don't blow your bike or wallet out over the Memorial Day weekend.

April's not very good for the Scrubses...she always has her semi-annual CA follow-up at M.D. Anderson in Nov & Apr. Then if the docs find something on a scan or whatnot, we get to extend our stay or schedule the dreadful return visit. This has happened more often than I care to recount over the past 5 years.

#280 ·
National VTF members meeting?

Since I am mostly poser and only have a couple riding costumes. I would be willing to throw the fatboy on the cooker trailer and drag it there. If I could get help putting the party together.

If there in interest of course. If not I ride the bike there and join in the rub cup poseur parade.

#283 ·
Since I am mostly poser and only have a couple riding costumes. I would be willing to throw the fatboy on the cooker trailer and drag it there. If I could get help putting the party together.

If there in interest of course. If not I ride the bike there and join in the rub cup poseur parade.

Damn bb, looks like you could get a good size hog in that contraption. Sweet.

#288 ·
;3586745 said:
I would volunteer to help.

We need two more. Prep is about three hours for 4 people.

Pulled pork. Prince rib. Or whole hog or hogs depending on attendance.

Watching the fire is not usually a problem as drinking and watching the fire go together pretty well.

#291 ·
Chicken is cheap

Brisket is a favorite

Done this stuff a long time.

#293 ·
The pit is never overkill. Bring it and you will get new friends.

#294 ·
I'll volunteer. Someone has to man the cooler to keep the cooks lubricated!

#302 ·
#303 · (Edited)
I don't think a poll is required unless we get drilled down to two or three sets of dates and/or places.

Only dates I have protected are 15 May through 18 may 2015. That is the Mancation Run for my group.

#309 ·
Starting to work on the swag for the event!!!!

And for the camp followers that say they are coming and fail to show up at the event..... we will all know....

#312 ·
This Marble Falls place is a 2200 mile round trip for me.

You Phuckers better have lined out some damn good rides for the type of commitment.

#313 ·
You Phuckers better have lined out some damn good rides for the type of commitment.
Define "Damn good ride".=devil=

My family went to Dogpatch back in 1969/70 when I was around 12, but I couldn't tell you what the scenery or the roads were like. Been asleep once or twice since then.

#315 ·
Anybody familiar with "The Hub" other than hearing about it? Would this be a suitable place for parking bbally's party grill?

I'm sure there are lots of places we could stay in the general vicinity.

Let's get a real destination decided upon that fits all of our needs.

#317 ·
I have sent Randal an email asking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.