Went to Florida to give away my daughter : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Riding Stories, Adventures and Travels
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Went to Florida to give away my daughter

After a couple of very busy days back at work, I finally got a little time to share my trip story.

I gained a son-in-law last week. I spent last week in Florida to give away my daughter for marriage. What a life changing event!

My wife and I headed out last Sunday morning, with bike in tow, to spend a few days in Tampa and then finish the week in St. Pete Beach for the ceremony.

This was my first experience trailering the bike and I learned a couple of things. First, I learned when you don't own a trailer, rental choices are somewhat limited. I reserved a U-Haul motorcycle trailer and ended up getting "upgraded" to a 5x9 open hauler. It worked but it weighed twice as much (read more gas). I also learned the difference between cheap tie-downs and expensive motorcycle tie-downs. No major damage was done, but the abrasive straps I used gave me some extra polishing to do on some of the chrome. I also learned (I remember now reading this on the forum but I forgot), don't open trailer your bike with a full gas tank. Again, no damage but it was a bit messy after 630 miles.

The first day there, we took the bike for a nice ride up to Ocala, where my aunt and uncle have a jewelery shop, to pick up necklaces for the bridal party and rings. The weather was great, as it was all week. We took some back roads on the way back to Tampa and had a great day of riding, but I left the camera in the hotel room.

We figured out the second day that there was a hidden benefit of trailering the bike as we ended up with 2 modes of transportation. This worked out great as I spent the week hanging out with the twenty-somethings groomsmen while my wife was hanging out with the "girls". Tuesday was the day for final suit fitting and then the bachelor party which started at Mr. Dunderbak's Biergarten & Restaurant. We had a table outside and enjoyed several German beers and cigars and some good laughs. Since I missed dinner (the guys had eaten earlier and I just showed up for drinks), I decided late in the evening that a smoked bauerwurst and some German potato salad sounded good. This prompted one of the better laughs of the evening when the young heavily tatooed waitress stepped up to the tables with a plate in her hand and proclaimed "I have a weiner". After I told her we really didn't need to know that and laughing for a minute, I didn't claim the plate so she asked "doesn't anybody want this weiner?". Of course someone had to ask how big it was and without missing a beat she responded "it's adequate". I begrudgingly claimed the adequate weiner and after another couple of beers I decided it was time for me to ride home and let the young'ns continue the party without me.

Wednesday was golf day. I rode up to St Leo University to meet the gang for a round on the school course. I walked over to check out the Grotto and snap a few pictures before we hit the course.

The Grotto

I'm not really a golfer, but I will try just about anything that involves beer and whiskey and a beautiful Florida afternoon. Somehow, I was almost in the lead after nine.

The gang

Worst form ever!

A tree

Hey! What's in there?

The groom with his groomsmen

We took a lunch break (and a few of the guys made a beer run) and then back to the course. We decided to play best ball for the back nine and I was glad because my game really started to deteriorate by then. We wrapped up around dark and headed back to Tampa for some dinner (and more drinks).

Getting a little goofy near the end

Thursday, we packed up and headed over to the Grand Plaza on St Pete Beach. I managed to convince my wife to drive the Durango with the trailer while I rode the bike over. Another great ride across the bay.

Checking in

The penthouse suite for the bride and bride's maids

...and the view

This is not related to anything at all

That afternoon was rehearsal and then rehearsal dinner. The whole thing was starting to sink in so I had a couple of drinks before rehearsal, which went well. Dinner was at Snapper's, a couple blocks down the street and we decided to ride the bike over. It was pretty entertaining with me in shirt and tie and my wife in her dress. She was really rockin' the heels on the back though, I must say.

Cheers

Let's not get carried away now

Young guy movin' in on my woman

After a great dinner (and a magic bottle of wine that kept re-filling itself), it was back to the hotel and hanging out with the "boys" again. We had to pull the "adult card" once when the noise level caused a couple of complaints at the front desk. Nobody got hurt, nothing got damaged and nobody got kicked out. All was good.

Friday was a day full of waiting (and a couple of drinks to calm the nerves). I hung out in the guys room for dressing while my wife was in the "glam room" with the bride and bride's maids. (That means I got to miss all the drama).

A waiting groom

The ceremony was at 4:45 on the beach with no breeze, blue skies, 72 and sunny.

OK, this is when I started balling

Timing was perfect for sunset pictures immediately after.

My wife, rockin' that dress

This was actually her idea

Following pictures, we went up to the Ballroom for the reception. Dinner, dancing, open bar well stocked with Jameson made for a great party. I got to spend a good bit of time walking around and thanking everyone for showing up for the free dinner and open bar.

These guys were a trip

Saturday was the day to relax. We hit the breakfast buffet with the newlyweds and then they went boating while we hung out at the pool for a while. After a little too much sun, the wife and I went for a ride on the bike which took us to the Sloppy Pelican for a couple beers on the dock bar.

We headed back to the hotel and closed the evening with the wedding party down at Bongo's Beach Bar for dinner and a nightcap.

Sunday, we trucked it back home. What a great week!

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
looks like it was a great time all the way around! you have a beautiful daughter!

her bouquet matched your baby blue bike perfectly
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You GAVE her away? I would have offered you some cash for her.
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.
luvstoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Congrats and nice pictures. I used to live in St. Pete once upon time.

Not trying to be nosey, but who was the wedding photographer ? Only reason I'm asking, my niece is a photographer and does weddings on St. Pete beach. She goes by ALT Photography.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny

The difference between courage and stupidity is measured only by success and survival.

If you cannot fight like your enemy, you have already lost the war.
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Looks like a great wedding! I spent a couple years in St Pete in the late 70's when I was in the CG. Was the "grotto" at the kapok tree Inn\restaurant?

Obviously you did a good job shielding your new son-in-law from what sort of family he is marrying into.

Thanks for sharing, great pic's!

rkc
Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

BigD is reading this now saying WTF is this?
At least you said. "son-in-law" instead of "dead weight"! LOL

Yep, Kati rocked the dress. I wasn't really sure that was her until I saw the red Keds!
2014 FLHTCUI "Black Betty" My black mistress!

"Baggers - they're not just for Paw-paws anymore"

My new year resolution: RIDE MORE!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
Looks like a great wedding! I spent a couple years in St Pete in the late 70's when I was in the CG. Was the "grotto" at the kapok tree Inn\restaurant?

Obviously you did a good job shielding your new son-in-law from what sort of family he is marrying into.

rkc
I'm not trying to hijack the thread just a question for rkc.

Hey rkc, I was stationed in St. Pete from Dec 78-Jun 83 on the Vise. Could be we've crossed paths a time or two.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny

The difference between courage and stupidity is measured only by success and survival.

If you cannot fight like your enemy, you have already lost the war.
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger 21 View Post

Hey rkc, I was stationed in St. Pete from Dec 78-Jun 83 on the Vise. Could be we've crossed paths a time or two.
I was across the little bay at the station, 76/77-Sept 79.

rkc
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I will be right behind you G man. I can relate sorta
just happen to have a pic of my daughter on a unique color road king also.

SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstoride View Post
You GAVE her away? I would have offered you some cash for her.
You know luvs, this was a serious event in my life and I would have expected a more respectful response from you on this.

Just kidding. No I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
looks like it was a great time all the way around! you have a beautiful daughter!

her bouquet matched your baby blue bike perfectly
Thanks Bob.

Quote:
Congrats and nice pictures. I used to live in St. Pete once upon time.

Not trying to be nosey, but who was the wedding photographer ? Only reason I'm asking, my niece is a photographer and does weddings on St. Pete beach. She goes by ALT Photography.
Thanks. It was Maria Snider. I haven't seen any of her shots yet. Those I posted are mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post

rkc
Thanks Cole.

The Kapok Tree was in Clearwater. We used to live about a mile away from it. The Grotto in my pics is at St Leo University. Its a gathering place for the nuns.

Oddly enough, the new SIL fits right into the family. Who'da thunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
At least you said. "son-in-law" instead of "dead weight"! LOL

Yep, Kati rocked the dress. I wasn't really sure that was her until I saw the red Keds!
Actually, he travelled 630 miles to come and ask my permission. I have a good feeling about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
I will be right behind you G man. I can relate sorta
just happen to have a pic of my daughter on a unique color road king also.
Sweet bike! She doesn't look old enough to be thinking about marriage.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ncmedic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Congrats !! Looks like an awesome trip !
Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

C Pope wants to know Dino or Syn?
CGC Vise

Quote:

I was also on the Vise with BMCM Renando and across the bay at the station.
cpope3 at tampabay dot rr.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement