Planning a trip from So Cent Pa to AZ : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Riding Stories, Adventures and Travels
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Planning a trip from So Cent Pa to AZ

Might happen next year or later depending on if I retire or not.

Present plans are US Rt. 11s to Wnchester, Va. US Rt 50 w to St. Louis, Mo. From there, RT 61 (the river road) south to Memphis, Tn.

I'm want to stay off the interstate as much as possible, just using those to get around the big cities.

What I'm looking for are the roads like rt 11, 50 and 61 to get me west from Memphis, Tn., to Sierra Vista, Az.

Anyone know a good route to do this ?

I won't have any time restraints, and plan on camping as much as I can.

Any info/suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

Ride safe.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
coming out of st. louis I'd get on hwy 60 across Missouri, then cut south to hwy 412 and run it almost all the way across oklahoma. beyond that there are a lot of really nice rides through the mountains of New Mexico. and this should, this time of year, keep you from freezing your backside off, or burning up on the way... Sounds like a great trip.. have fun. these are off the interstate, mostly mountain or fun roads, that are near enough to the Interstate if you just have to get over there. they run through places that will allow you to get fuel..
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

n.e.confederate wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wish I could offer some secondary road advice; I rode from central NJ to Las Vegas at the end of May. I did have a time constraint so I had to stick to the interstates. It was still a great trip! I would like to suggest, however, that you wear long sleeves & keep your face covered. I was applying 70 & 100 spf sunblock to my nose & face at every gas stop once I got to the southern states & my nose kept getting redder & redder. Finally I met a guy coming east out of CA who had a bandanna tied around his face to keep the sun off. Don't know why I didn't think of that on my own but believe me, the desert sun will get you! Now that I'm out here I wear long sleeves & even gloves as well as keep my face covered during the summer on my commutes to work. I am more comfortable that way until I stop.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

Eric
'02 Road King
All Bore (4-1/8") 107"
T-Man 625G cams
Insane Power heads

n.e.confederate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check each state's scenic byways.

Take a look at

http://byways.org/explore/
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Let's say you star this part of the trip at Gallup, NM - take NM602 south turning West on NM53 thru Black Rock and Zuni; NM53 turns into AZ61; then go South on AZ191 all the way South to I10W and get off on AZ90 South just past the town of Benson (Kartchner Cavern exit); straight into Sierra Vista. (Just a few miles outside of Sierra Vista you'll cross over AZ82, if you go left, it takes you to Tombstone.)
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks much for the info. Rt. 60 sounds like the way to go. Long sleeve T shirts have been the norm for a few years now due to too many years of sun working marine construction in the USCG. I'll check out that website for byways. Doc Dee I'm going to see an old service buddy that used to be a bubble head on the DRUM, before he joined the USCG.

Thanks again and ride safe.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I hear what you said, but I'm not sure 11 would really be on my route.

I might work my way to Frederick through the South Central and northern MD. Then take 340 south. It's a better road for cruising IMHO. You can swing over to Skyline drive or hit I81 if you feel the need.

As for where you turn west, i can't offer much. I took 10 to the coast and 70 back once, but that was in about 76, so I'm sure it's all changed. I think I might decide what I wanted to see along the way and then map it out.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
I hear what you said, but I'm not sure 11 would really be on my route.

I might work my way to Frederick through the South Central and northern MD. Then take 340 south. It's a better road for cruising IMHO. You can swing over to Skyline drive or hit I81 if you feel the need.

As for where you turn west, i can't offer much. I took 10 to the coast and 70 back once, but that was in about 76, so I'm sure it's all changed. I think I might decide what I wanted to see along the way and then map it out.
Thanks for the input Thermodyne, I live just west of Chambersburg just off Rt 30.

Rt 11 is 5 miles away and 14 miles from the Md. line. What I'll probably do is ride Rt 30 west from my house to Bedford and take 220s thru Keyser,WV. to pick up 50.

I've been both ways in my big truck, so it's just a flip of the coin which way to go.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasonably Uncool

Sponk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi there!

If you can, arrange your stay in Memphis to be on a Wednesday night . This is "Bike night on Beale" and the whole street is closed to anything but pedestrians and bikes. Also, you can´t miss Beale St. no matter what night! The ribs at Blues City Café are to die for!

If you can, pass through NW Arkansas on your way west. They have beautiful roads, gorgeous landscapes and are very biker friendly. Plan a night in Mountain View. They call themselves the "Folk music capital of the world" and seeing and hearing the groups of musicians jam in the town square is really something else! Eureka Springs has a very unique flavor to it that is worth checking out, too. The victorian brick architecture would seem more at home in the late 19th century New York than in the hills of Arkansas and the place has a friendly atmosphere of tolerance that attracts a weird and crazy combination of folks- hippies, religious zealots, bikers. Good fun! You could head south through the Ouachita Mountains and then head west or go west from there, you´ll have to work that out.

Check the state´s website: they have lot´s of info on scenic roads and tips for motorcyclists! CLICK ME

Hope you have a great trip!
Sponk

crashing sucks
Sponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement