Miles per day/per hour/Longest trips : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Riding Stories, Adventures and Travels
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Miles per day/per hour/Longest trips

Maybe there is a chart out there somewhere, and I know it has a lot to do with conditions, tolerance of the rider, etc... But what would you guys estimate is a good rule of thumb for long trips... Miles per day, Average Miles per hour...

Let's say I wanted to take a cross country trip, stick mostly to back roads as much as possible... Enjoyment ride, and if you want to give a "best time" trip you made pushing hard to get somewhere, that would be interesting as well... :-)

Also thought this was interesting... 1 Million Miles
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

NJ Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Generally, the guys I ride with (we're old) do 500 mile days when going to Sturgis, for example. That's on the super slab with a few breaks.
If we take backroads, stop to eat, bathroom, gas, etc., it could take forever to go 100 miles to a destination.
NJ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHTDan wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's kind of an open ended question. You have way to many variables.
What type of roads? Open country, like the midwest or twisties, like the mountains? Stops for places of interest? Etc.

When a friend and I took off to the Smokies (80% back roads) we were doing about 250 miles a day until we hit the more windy roads of easter Tennessee and the we were only doing about 150 a day
FLHTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like the others said, too many variables. Just ride your ride. Ride until you aren't comfortable any more. Different people have different goals and levels of pain so to speak. A ridin' fool friend of mine used to take off and ride straight thru to Sturgis from So Cal. An Iron Butt for sure. The more seat time you get the easier it is to go long distance(s). Some like that challenge of hauling a$$ and some like to see more scenery, gotta find out works for you.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
I agree it is kind of open ended, but I have some general rules I use for planning.

I like to figure about 50mph average for riding on a long trip. That allows me gas stops, smoke stops, and ability to mix up super slabs and maybe some 4 lane and 2 lane rural highways. 500 miles is a reasonable day for me. If my destination is 600 miles away, it will be 1 day. If my destination is 1500 miles, it will be 3 days.

Planning and doing don't always work out the same, but you have to start somewhere.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If i'm trying to "get somewhere" I'd vote for the 500 mile (maybe 600 tops) yardstick.

Like most, I've done more but 500-600 is comfortable for me.

(of course my bike ain't Larkspur so what the fug do I know)

Last edited by huskerbob; 10-17-2012 at 04:54 AM.
huskerbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
If i'm trying to "get somewhere" I'd vote for the 500 mile (maybe 600 tops) yardstick.

probably nothin'

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was interested in knowing my average miles per hour. Reset my GPS
trip log to zero approx. 8800 miles ago (June 28) Since that time my moving average 42.3 miles per hour.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post

Ok... I'll ask...

What the hayell is "Larkspur"...?
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstar321 View Post
Ok... I'll ask...

This.

And that thing in my signature.

If you did a search of the site, you might find some interesting conversations about it.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ncmedic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Ok... I'll ask...

Dont ask about his chaps..
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmedic View Post
Dont ask about his chaps..
LOL... no danger of that here...

... and G-man, I like that my bike is different..! And since I'm the very proud owner of a very purple bike... I doubt I would bust anyone's chops over their "Larkspur" bike :-)

... Some bikers remind me of that movie "Pleasantville, where everything was black and white and the way they treated anyone that had color... lol...."IF it ain't black... it ain't cool" ... lol...
    My Custom Thread
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Quote:
LOL... no danger of that here...

... and G-man, I like that my bike is different..! And since I'm the very proud owner of a very purple bike... I doubt I would bust anyone's chops over their "Larkspur" bike :-)

... Some bikers remind me of that movie "Pleasantville, where everything was black and white and the way they treated anyone that had color... lol...."IF it ain't black... it ain't cool" ... lol...
So your bike and mine are the same color. not black

Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

That is correct.

... color is good.
    My Custom Thread
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg MacD wants to know Dino or Syn?
On my Harley or Aprilia I can do about 600 miles in a day any longer and I can no longer move....my back starts giving me some trouble, anyway, my DRz 400 is good for about 250 a day as the seat is like riding on a 4X4 railroad tie......few things to remember is stop about every 150 mile for gas and to walk around for a little while and to drink a lot of water (or gatoraid).

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement