Miles per day/per hour/Longest trips - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Riding Stories, Adventures and Travels
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Colorado crusin'

NewHawk wants to know Dino or Syn?
If I'm camping, it is generally around 400 miles a day, planning where I'm going to stop and giving myself time to set up and tear down in the morning. If I'm moteling it I generally travel closer to 500 miles a day as I'm not taking time to worry about where I'm staying or setting up camp.
True-Track
NewHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

ROGER4314 wants to know Dino or Syn?
On the two huge (6000 and 8000) mile trips I made, I shot for about 560 miles per day. After that, I was ready to get off of that machine! We stayed in Motel 6's so occasionally we adjusted the miles to get to the next stop. We also adjusted the trip miles in order to catch a Chinese Buffet place.

Flash

Lovin' the Harley Idle....potato, potato, potato!
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
On the two huge (6000 and 8000) mile trips I made, I shot for about 560 miles per day. After that, I was ready to get off of that machine! We stayed in Motel 6's so occasionally we adjusted the miles to get to the next stop. We also adjusted the trip miles in order to catch a Chinese Buffet place.

Flash
Man I want to do that! Except I'm thinking of buy one of those tent/hammocks... either a spring or fall trip... maybe hit a hotel room every other or third night... really get out in the boonies :-)...

I'll have to really watch for conceal carry laws though to make sure I'm legal... no way I'd do that with out some serious protection.
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

sgmfisher wants to know where he is and how he got here
Over the years I have found that it is real hard to average more than 50 to 55 mph and I don't ride more than 8 to 8 1/2 hours a day. A 400 mile day without incident makes me happy. The harder and longer you ride a day sets you up for incident. In the wind.

Pops
sgmfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr Cujo wants to know Dino or Syn?
The wife and I did Atl to San Diego in about 3 1/2 days riding 2-up... I was exhausted when we got there. Spent about 5 1/2 days getting home and really appreciated taking the extra time.

Anything approaching or exceeding 600 miles in a day is a LONG day of ripping down the interstate. To be sure, many, many riders do it but it is a "experienced" level of riding. Most won't go out and start clocking those kinds of miles without working their way up to it.

I think a fair scheduling clock would be anything averaging 40-50 mph unless you have to really be somewhere.

The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

Politically Incorrect, Morally Challenged

Cujo's Blog- CLICKY

-----------------------------
'07 Ultra -> Covington, Ga.
Samuel L. Jackson fixed my bike.
Chuck Norris in the front cylinder, Jack Bauer in the back cylinder, Tommy Lee Jones in the tranny.
You should quit now. Your mods suck.
Mr Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
FNG :)

rwilly wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like to be around 400 miles a day, depending on roads.
I have been taking an annual ride from Seattle to soCal, the first day I like to make it to Redding, thats 600 miles. I am pretty tired when I get there. I prefer to be on secondary roads, but I get caught up in the travel of it all, I find it hard to stop and smell the roses.
Last year on my way back from Ca. I turned left at Redding and headed out to the coast, it was a long 750 mile day. I left Redding at 8AM, and got home at midnight. Rainy and dark from the Oregon line back to Seattle, I was beat when I finally got home.

I have no idea how these Ironbutters can do it.
rwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

BigD is reading this now saying WTF is this?
There is good information about distance riding on the Iron Butt site. Good read.

I ride longer than most (600 mile days are common, 800 not unusual) but only if I'm prepped for it and the weather conditions cooperate. I always prioritize two lane over four, and four over super slab. This is the, "journey is the destination" approach.

But sometimes it just doesn't work out and you have to be flexible. Super slab is the best for making tracks and you have to be willing to forgoe "plans" based on the unexpected (breakdowns, weather, complaining spouse, etc.)

The "complaining spouse" situation can be overcome with a Southwest Airlines One-way ticket to the destination or home - whichever direction you're headed in. (Yes, that is based on experience and it worked very nicely for both of us!)
2014 FLHTCUI "Black Betty" My black mistress!

"Baggers - they're not just for Paw-paws anymore"

My new year resolution: RIDE MORE!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

BigD is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Oh, I prefer to get up early and put a tank of gas under the saddle before I have breakfast. You get the first 150 miles out of the way and let's the breakfast places clear out a little so you don't spend so much time waiting.
2014 FLHTCUI "Black Betty" My black mistress!

"Baggers - they're not just for Paw-paws anymore"

My new year resolution: RIDE MORE!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
usually plan on 500 a day unless I encounter something that attracts my attention.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks everyone, this has all been very helpful :-)

Basic rule of thumb is about 500 per day, less if doing site seeing stops.

I can't wait to make my first long distance trip thread... I need to get a good camera... maybe even a Gopro...
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

dortiz64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
miles per day

My personal experience is similar to G-man and the other posters.
I just rode from Dallas to L.A. it took me 3 days...it was 1,450 miles so a little under 500 miles per day.....but it varies with your state of mind...when i am on "a roll" i have done as much as 683 miles in 1 day (Las Cruces, NM to DFW, TX) but if i am not in the "mood" i have struggled to even do 300 miles in a day. I would prefer to stay close in the 400 to 450 range and i normally drive 5MPH over the posted Interstate speed limit....on country roads...If you are doing 200 to 250 miles per day you are doing a good job (say Hot Springs, Ark to Eureka Springs, Ark on Hwy 7). Like another poster said stop when you get tired that is when your screw ups will come...i have pushed myself too hard before, better to take an extra day than punish your body to save 1 day. Dont ride at night, especially if the end of the day (as opposed to your early start, say 4am) If you are moving an average of 50MPH at the end of the day factoring all of the gas and meal stops, then this is a max range....but if you can pull 55 or 60 MPH you will get close to the 500 miles per day necessary to move long distances for the multi-state or cross-country rides where you will be out for say 2 weeks.....TAKE IBUPROFEN BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER THE DAY....YOU WILL NEED IT....JUST TAKE 2 TABLETS 3 TIMES DAILY. 8 HOUR RIDING DAY PREFERRED AVOID ANYTHING OVER 10 HOURS

2009 XR1200 - D&D exhaust, XIEDS, black diamond collection pegs, and grips. Luggage, sissy bar, Harley black LED headlight assembly, mini sport windshield

Last edited by dortiz64; 11-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
dortiz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Since I had my back worked on, about a 100 miles is my limit, then I need a walk about. It hasn't been that long since the surgery and I only did a couple of trips this year. I've done 450 in two days and 250 in a single day. Both times I was ready to get off at the end. Funny thing is that both trips I got caught in huge traffic back ups on the way home, and both times the rides took a lot longer than they should have. So I really don't know what my real limit is yet. I'm thinking that a 400 mile day would be about it at this point.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

holobach wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like others say depends on mindset and the need to be somewhere

Like say you just back to your room in Cody, WY and its Tuesday and you talk to the wife and she says you know your daughter expects you at her cross country meet on Saturday. Well you ride and average a bit over 600 miles a day and make it home Friday night.
holobach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Larbaldi wants to know Dino or Syn?
After years of riding ( I've been in 46 of the 50 states ) I find that on most trips I end up averaging around 55 miles per hour and try to make a point of not doing much riding after 6:00 pm ( The eyes ain't what they use to be )
1979 FXEF STROKER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
BUSHTEC QUANTUM TRAILER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
AMA MEMBER / ABATE MEMBER
Larbaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement