Smallest profile, lightest weight DOT helmet? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Riders Gear: Clothing & Accessories
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

NY Deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smallest profile, lightest weight DOT helmet?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy the absolute smallest profile, lightest DOT legal helmet I can find. I'm trying to find one that weighs less than 2 lbs, hopefully closer to 1 1/2 lbs. I thought the NexL was supposed to be the smallest profile, lightest DOT helmet on the market. The only problem with them, besides being pretty expensive, is that you can't find them anywhere. I talked to a guy from a local shop on the phone the other day and he said he has them on order for over 6 months and they still haven't come in yet. I've searched online and have found a couple of helmets that seem to be exactly what I知 looking for. The only thing is I don稚 know anything about these helmets and have never seen them in person. It痴 impossible to get a real idea of exactly how large and heavy they are without trying them on in person. The helmets I知 talking about are the DOT 200 (non-vented model) and the DOT 800 Light Eagle listed on the www.helmetcityinternational.com website. The DOT shorty Eagle 100 and the Vega DOT Approved XTS listed on the www.helmetsetc.com website. The Bikers Choice Skid Lid and the EX DOT model helmet on the www.helmetsrus.com website. They claim that this EX DOT helmet weighs only 1.8 lbs or 30 oz, which if true, is extremely light for a DOT legal helmet.

Does anyone here currently own any of these helmets? Anyone here ever try on or use any of these helmets? Any idea if the weights given for some of these helmets are accurate? Any feedback or help you can give me would be much appreciated, thanks.

NYD
NY Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

marshrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recently bought a Fulmer Hombre which is very light, lighter than my Vega and far lighter than my HJC. Fulmer does not allow Internet sales, but my local Suzuki dealer had them in stock. Also, NEXL helmets were not on the DOT list of approved helmets the last time I looked, even though NEXL says thay are. An email inquiry went unanswered.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pimp Daddy

sr1032 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with Marshrat about the Fulmer but if you go to the NHTSA website, NEXL and NXT are DOT approved. The 05 model NXT failed FY04 testing standards for performance but if you read the top of the test sheet it says to keep using the helmet unless the manufacturer tells you to stop, meaning that NXT assumes liability if their helmet does not meet standards. Keep in mind that DOT is a manufacturer rating, saying they complied with FMVSS 218 and not an actual DOT rating, they only test a few helmets each year. Food for thought, if I had a choice I'd go with the Fulmer, NEXL aren't as thin as they claim and fairly uncomfortable IMHO.

1981 FXB Sturgis, 2004 Dyna Wide Glide, 2007 Night Train
sr1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

David III wants to know Dino or Syn?
NexL are very light but not particularly comfortable. My wife and I both use one. We both think the fit could be much better and I've taken to adjusting the foam in mine with a hammer.
For what it's worth - a friend of ours wanted one and never could get one. We found out that NexL had some problem with the quick release buckle and never heard whether they got it resolved.
David III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
natural-born world-shaker

thedog wants to know Dino or Syn?
what'd i do with that link to the carbon fiber/kevlar helmets? it's around here somewhere, try googling it ... got one for the gf and it's a decent little, light DOT helmet .. looks good, too
Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

David III wants to know Dino or Syn?
There's www.carbonfiberhelmets.com -- I saw some of their helmets at Black Hills HD, but haven't run into them again to check out further.
David III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
05 Deuce

Gooms wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought the NexL 1/2 helmet several months ago, and am happy with it.
They are as advertised, the liner is exactly as they say, so far as thickness.
I haven't had a problem with the buckle at all, it is lightweight, and comfortable. If they say it's DOT, I have a tendency to believe them.
Price was reasonable compared to the ACC helmet. The gal at NexL...Gabby, was very nice and helpful. Of course not all people can wear certain helmets, I was lucky in that they didn't squeeze my head with the big forceps when I was born, so I don't have an oddball head...can't say much for the rest of me though. I also have the HD Spoiler 1/2 helmet, and eventhough it's big, it's pretty comfortable.
Gooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
doof member

BUDKING wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David III
There's www.carbonfiberhelmets.com -- I saw some of their helmets at Black Hills HD, but haven't run into them again to check out further.

I just bought one of these. I love the kevlar look and it fits more like a skid lid and not a mushroom top. At higher speeds the wind doesn't try to rip your head off and there's the added benefit of being a DOT helmet. To me it was a nice compromise between wearing a lid and not (keep the OL happy).

It is pricey compared to novelty lids but if I didn't get any production from it I just wouldn't wear one.

Budking
BUDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah, that's the link .. carbon fiber helmets .. HD-LUX gave it a review in the user review forum .. NY Deuce, ya may wanna check it out, the gf's is the smallest they make and it came with 3 headband-type inserts of various thickness, her opinion is in line with BUDKING's .. nice looking helmet
Old 10-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

NY Deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Guys,

Thanks for the replies, the first hand info on the NexL helmets and the link for the carbon fiber helmets. The carbon fiber helmets look like what I知 looking for but damn, $175 - $195 each!!!

I will have to really think it over for a while before spending that kind of money for the helmet. Hopefully I will be able to find a cheaper alternative. If none of the other helmets I知 interested in turn out to be what I知 looking for I may just have to bite the bullet and spend the money for the NexL or carbon fiber helmet.

NYD
NY Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tx Road Hog

roadfish wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the Vega XTS and like it. It is fairly small, comfortable and has venting which I like. Keep in mind if you are getting a DOT helmet just to be legal, that is one thing.
If you are getting DOT for protection (imagine that) then I would be leary of the super thin helmets. They may pass DOT prescribed tests, but who knows how much shock is transferred to a real noggin.
roadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gentelman Of Leisure

Whitehair1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Gotta be the Carbon Fiber skid lid

Just bought one of these pricy carbon lids and love the heck out of it. Kinda like wearing a baseball cap, ya forget that its even there. www.carbonfiberhelmets.com
Whitehair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

patriot wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have to give my endorsement to the carbon fiber helmets also. Rode helmetless for 15 years, then we bought 2 of them and I wont leave home without them... so light you forget you have them on.
patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
2000 FXSTB

mistoo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do you all have the DOT carbonfiber or the NON DOT. I see they sell there non dot on E-Bay
Old 10-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

mistoo - the gf's is a DOT approved .. i'm not endorsing it, personally, because i haven't worn one
Advertisement