V-Twin Forum banner

Jacket question for cool weather--NOT COLD

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  berserker 
#1 ·
I have a Hein Gerrick leather coat I bought in 91 that has an aluminum flake liner and I can ride in just about any temps and be OK. I also have heated gear. I need a jacket for in between weather. When I look at the HD stuff, they don't use BIG heavy zippers anymore, it's all made in China, and the textile reflective type I want is almost $400. HD has always been pricey but they used to sell really great coats made for bikers not fashionistas.

Anybody have an alternative idea for buying a textile, not leather, reflective jacket? There has to be somebody out there who still makes a jacket designed for riding. For instance, zippers you can operate with gloves on.

I probably can't avoid the made in China part but for $400 I expect a coat that'll last forever, like the Hein Gerrick, and that is fully functional. My riding gear is for when I'm riding. I don't wear it for walking around clothing.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I would suggest riding down to fox creek.

Made in USA heard, good stuff about them.

I have one of those leather shirts(not fox creek however), big enough for a sweat shirt underneath.

They also make some lighter weight leather jackets.

rkc

#4 ·
I got a black and orange Moco textile, with armor pockets and reflective piping, for about $180 a couple of years ago. It was on clearance.

It seems well made so far, and fits well. I like it.

I'll also second the Fox Creek recommendation, based on the quality of my leather jacket.

joe

#8 ·
I have only worn it once, but I bought a First Gear textile jacket. Was hot out, and it breathed alot. Probably be wearing it next week.

#10 ·
For hot weather, I would not choose a leather. Even with the vents they are hot.

#12 ·
The textiles will protect you. Though they may have to be replaced after a major skid. Someone told me they cannot be repaired like leather can be.

#13 ·
Yes, the textiles will protect you.. IF they are quality. Did about a 30-35mph lowside in a Joe Rocket jacket.... melted the material, and the cinch snap got so hot, it burned into my arm. and still got some rash for my efforts... though, admittedly not as bad if I was in a t-shirt or something.

I have seen the Icons take some serious abuse.

Just my 2 pennies.

#23 ·
Tour Master

I got a tour master jacket transition 3 and I love it, don't really care about protection, I took most of the armor out, it's a great 3 season jacket

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have had the the same jacket for about 3 years. I have worn the jacket in weather as warm as low 80's with the lining removed. Just open the vents in the front and the back of the jacket.

With the lining in the jacket, I've ridden over an hour in low 20's with no discomfort.

I also ended up taking all the armor out of the jacket.

#16 ·
I have only worn mine once. I do notice the armor. I would like to leave it, figuring why not have it. Supposed to be hot next week, have to see.

I did buy it for protection, figuring I would a jacket more if it was cool. Plus it is a good place to a carry a gun. I don't want to be screwing around with a holster at work.

#19 ·
Because you live NY. The next question is why?

#20 ·
I just bought a mesh, so no vents. I may look into a textile one, lighter then leather. Strapping to leathers on the tourpak is alot of weight, and takes up alot of room.

#22 · (Edited)
Ya I bought one few weeks ago somewhat on a whim. I was looking at them on line. Then stopped at J word dealer on a hot day. Has been cool since. But it really did let the air in.

Probably is, if you are touring cross country, you have to be prepared for the coldest. The mesh jacket does have a zip in wind breaker. But I haven't tried it to see how it does.

The other thing that has got me thinking about textiles, is not carrying rain gear, or not needing it until you have a big storm. Granted leather does decent, especially when oiled, it takes a long time to dry.

I have also wondered about upland bird hunter pants, which have nylon the front. Be fine for most light stuff. Plus may help you when you hit a wall off rain, and have to find a place to pull over.

I am going to try a pair of these for grouse hunting. Though I have found dicky or carhartt to be pretty good in the bush. Actually jeans are pretty good too, unless you are in some thorny stuff, even then not that bad.

Spray these with some camp dry.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...dNav&WTz_stype=GNU&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104057280

#24 ·
Hotter then hell here today, 80s and humid, sucks. Wore Firstgear mesh, did ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.