V-Twin Forum banner

Military base (Navy) PPE

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RLong31 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm working full time on a Navy base now and I'm looking for summer PPE to wear so I can ride on base.

Who makes a light colored (white/gray) lightweight (mesh?) reflective long sleeve pullover or jacket? Something that I can slip on and off easily before and after I hit the gate?

For reference
http://www.motorcycleppe.com/navy.htm

#2 · (Edited)
You can where a long sleeve tee shirt, and get one of those construction vests. Over the ankle boots, and gloves. All that was req'd when I got out in 08.

I used to have a couple, still may have them. if you're interested I'll look. Otherwise Joe Rocket would be a good place to start looking. Icon used to have a line of stuff to satisfy base requirements.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
really trying to find something dual purpose, so I don't have to mess with the whole lot of gear. once I get into the office at all comes off, less stuff to deal with the better ...

Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
While the regulation say a reflective it does not state what that is. The post commander can issue the requirements. Check local Motorcycle shop I bet they will hook you right up your not the first in the area to ride on post.
Also check with provost Marshall they can spell it out.
Some commands except something as simple as a PT belt.
You get over it in time and it won't brother you to wear it.
These regs have been around sense the 70's just not enforced until so many Military personal were getting killed, The enforcement dropped the numbers almost over night

#10 ·
The only thing I worry about with those kinds of jackets is that if you go down, friction+nylon=hot liquid nylon in addition to the road rash and everything else. I know that you can't always worry about putting the bike down, but it might factor in to your decision. The most dangerous part of my daily ride starts right before I clear the gate. Troopies aren't the most attentive drivers out there.

#11 ·
If you can shop at the Navy exchange... check there. They usually have a small selection of PPE for motorcycle riders. They sell really cheap reflective mesh vests that look like construction vests.

On my base... I don't have to wear the reflective gear. From dusk til dawn they MIGHT say something to you. Sometimes they buy the reflective piping on my jacket, sometimes they don't. I always have a backpack going to/from work so I just wrapped a reflective PT glow belt around it and I never get hassled any more.

Call the base safety office or vehicle registration office and ask a few people what is actually required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.