V-Twin Forum banner

Need info on a lighter jacket

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Sage Counsel 
#1 ·
Hello to all. I currently have a FoxCreek jacket that I've had for several years, and while I do like it I am looking ahead to the warmer weather that's coming to SC in the next few months. I do like wearing some kind of protection, but I already know that the jacket I have now is too heavy for the kind of heat we get in the summer here. I have looked at several options, including getting a lighter leather jacket, and I have looked at some textile jackets, but I know zero about them.
I thought I had found exactly what I wanted on FoxCreek's site in this one http://www.foxcreekleather.com/280-mens-summer-motorcycle-jackets/983-vented-cordura-racing-jacket
I almost ordered this one, until I actually looked at the size chart for this jacket, I need a size 48, and found that they don't have one in my size. The size chart is different from most.
If anyone has any suggestions, and especially if you have a lighter weight jacket that you like, I will greatly appreciate the help. Meanwhile I'll be doing more searches. Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, sorry to be so long getting back, had some medical issues. I did check with FoxCreek, the size chart is different for that jacket and one would need to get a 52 to have a 48. I have looked at their summer leather jacket and I may go with that. Thanks so much for the help and ride safe.

#5 ·
While you really can not go wrong with Fox Creek, I have dealt with leatherup they sell a wide range of jackets, and brands.. You nearly can not beat Joe Rocket for these types of jacket. also if you can find alpine they make a nice armored mesh jacket selection that are very well priced. Just suggestions.
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/pageSize_48/all/2/102.html

#6 ·
#8 ·
Yep, My Alpine Mesh and Armor has a zipout liner that is wind and water proof. Makes it nice for for 100 degree days in Arkansas. And days when it could rain any minute. Lastly that liner is very warm.. the mess does get warm when sitting at a stoplight or something but you can really feel the wind when you start to move..It actually feels nice once you perspirate a little while setting at a light, then take off and the wind cools the moisture... The plus is that the armor is kevlar plates that is flexible enough to bend a little, but thick enough to stop a bullet. I've actually only tested one once but I come up with all my skin intact. I tell you the jacket was a complete loss, kind of like the full helmet the same time. Once they bounce on the pavement with your body/head in them they are not warranted to be shockproof again. However, at $9 the alpine is a great value. I test an alpine and will stay with it since I proved it worked. Just wish I was wearing a set of armor pants as well that day.. Sportbike + cold road + cold tires + twisties = pain. The jeans faired far worse than the jacket.

#9 ·
Mesh Jacket for Summertime.

I have a Joe Rocket Mesh summer jacket (Phoenix 5.0) that has removable CE armor for the elbows, sholders and back. It also has a zip-in waterproof liner. It's a nice jacket.

This is my first summer with the mesh and so far it's good up to the low 100s (Highest so far 103).

I'm not sure anything will work during the hottest part of summer here (110-122), especially when the humidity peaks during the July-August "monsoon" season. (clearly our bad weather season).

#10 ·
I have and use a Firstgear mesh with armor and zip in water proof liner jacket I use from late spring to early fall. Not HD pirate approved since it's dayglo lemon and black, but helps to be visible and with Kevlar jeans I can be geared up without dying from heat stroke. Once you've seen horrific road rash you kinda wanna be geared up.

#11 ·
I have been wearing the Kevlar/mesh "Draggin' shirt" in hot weather. Ventilates well when moving, not too hot when still, and Kevlar protection... in long sleeve shirt, not a jacket. Like it better than a mesh jacket. Cooler, lighter and better ventilated with same or better protection (assuming no armor in jacket). Available in yellow(which turns a more tan color after sun exposure) or in black. Armor is available, though I don't use it with the shirt.

Available here: http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductI...id=ACCESSORY_1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.