Need info on a lighter jacket : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Related Groups and Forums > Riders Gear: Clothing & Accessories
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

tatwell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Need info on a lighter jacket

Hello to all. I currently have a FoxCreek jacket that I've had for several years, and while I do like it I am looking ahead to the warmer weather that's coming to SC in the next few months. I do like wearing some kind of protection, but I already know that the jacket I have now is too heavy for the kind of heat we get in the summer here. I have looked at several options, including getting a lighter leather jacket, and I have looked at some textile jackets, but I know zero about them.
I thought I had found exactly what I wanted on FoxCreek's site in this one http://www.foxcreekleather.com/280-m...-racing-jacket
I almost ordered this one, until I actually looked at the size chart for this jacket, I need a size 48, and found that they don't have one in my size. The size chart is different from most.
If anyone has any suggestions, and especially if you have a lighter weight jacket that you like, I will greatly appreciate the help. Meanwhile I'll be doing more searches. Thanks.
tatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unless that link goes to the wrong jacket it shows in a size 48 when I look , although I do not have that jacket I do not think you can go wrong with anything from Fox Creek , also you may want to call and talk to them they may have other ideas for you .

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dane-ish wants to know Dino or Syn?
Definately give them a call, their customer service is top notch.
They might be able to give some advice as well.

Can't wait for the warmer weather , it's gonna' be 70 on saturday
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

tatwell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks guys, sorry to be so long getting back, had some medical issues. I did check with FoxCreek, the size chart is different for that jacket and one would need to get a 52 to have a 48. I have looked at their summer leather jacket and I may go with that. Thanks so much for the help and ride safe.
tatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
While you really can not go wrong with Fox Creek, I have dealt with leatherup they sell a wide range of jackets, and brands.. You nearly can not beat Joe Rocket for these types of jacket. also if you can find alpine they make a nice armored mesh jacket selection that are very well priced. Just suggestions.
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Mens-Moto...all/2/102.html
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I looked into getting a light weight jacket, and this one from fox creek interested me:

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/280-m...-riding-jacket

However, I wouldn't want to spend that much money without trying it on and seeing it.

could be a great road trip for you!

rkc
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've seen guys wearing jackets that were essentially mesh with armor. Most had a zip in lining for additional warmth and rain protection. But if I rode where it was hot and humid, I would want one of these mesh armored jackets.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
I've seen guys wearing jackets that were essentially mesh with armor. Most had a zip in lining for additional warmth and rain protection. But if I rode where it was hot and humid, I would want one of these mesh armored jackets.
Yep, My Alpine Mesh and Armor has a zipout liner that is wind and water proof. Makes it nice for for 100 degree days in Arkansas. And days when it could rain any minute. Lastly that liner is very warm.. the mess does get warm when sitting at a stoplight or something but you can really feel the wind when you start to move..It actually feels nice once you perspirate a little while setting at a light, then take off and the wind cools the moisture... The plus is that the armor is kevlar plates that is flexible enough to bend a little, but thick enough to stop a bullet. I've actually only tested one once but I come up with all my skin intact. I tell you the jacket was a complete loss, kind of like the full helmet the same time. Once they bounce on the pavement with your body/head in them they are not warranted to be shockproof again. However, at $9 the alpine is a great value. I test an alpine and will stay with it since I proved it worked. Just wish I was wearing a set of armor pants as well that day.. Sportbike + cold road + cold tires + twisties = pain. The jeans faired far worse than the jacket.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The Wizard wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mesh Jacket for Summertime.

I have a Joe Rocket Mesh summer jacket (Phoenix 5.0) that has removable CE armor for the elbows, sholders and back. It also has a zip-in waterproof liner. It's a nice jacket.

This is my first summer with the mesh and so far it's good up to the low 100s (Highest so far 103).

I'm not sure anything will work during the hottest part of summer here (110-122), especially when the humidity peaks during the July-August "monsoon" season. (clearly our bad weather season).
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have and use a Firstgear mesh with armor and zip in water proof liner jacket I use from late spring to early fall. Not HD pirate approved since it's dayglo lemon and black, but helps to be visible and with Kevlar jeans I can be geared up without dying from heat stroke. Once you've seen horrific road rash you kinda wanna be geared up.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Sage Counsel wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been wearing the Kevlar/mesh "Draggin' shirt" in hot weather. Ventilates well when moving, not too hot when still, and Kevlar protection... in long sleeve shirt, not a jacket. Like it better than a mesh jacket. Cooler, lighter and better ventilated with same or better protection (assuming no armor in jacket). Available in yellow(which turns a more tan color after sun exposure) or in black. Armor is available, though I don't use it with the shirt.

Available here: http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductI...id=ACCESSORY_1
Advertisement