V-Twin Forum banner

Hearing aids and helmets

11K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  smitty901 
#1 ·
I have a mild to moderate hearing loss particularly at high frequencies and I will be getting hearing aids soon. I was told by a non motorcyclist that I might have a problem wearing my full face helmet with the hearing aids because it might create a feedback loop. That would mean I would have to take the hearing aids out every time I put on the helmet, which would be quite a hassle. So I would like to know your experiences with hearing aids and helmets. Do some types of hearing aids work better with helmets than others? Anyone have a hearing aid come out when putting on or taking off a helmet? Anything else anyone might want to share on this topic?

#2 ·
The only feedback I get is while I'm putting the helmet on. Once it's on it's fine. Never had it come out but the programmable aids are the best. You can have one setting programmed for windy conditions. Those aren't cheap though but worth it. I've had mine for going on ten years now. Only one ear and there are times I wish it was both so I could turn them off and shut the world up!:beer:

#4 ·
I have the 'in ear'. I would think the 'behind ear' would be hard to get helmet on though. At least my ears get pushed on pretty hard when putting helmet on. And my helmet is a modular. I would imagine a full face would be even worse.

#6 ·
Looks like we are the only two that have hearing loss. I just woke up one morning and it was gone in my right ear. I accused the wife's bitching as the cause. Doctor had no explanation for it. Says it just happens sometimes. Now I protect what I have left as if that will help.

#7 ·
That is one of the things that has made me delay getting hearing aids. I know I'll probably lose one or both occasionally. Oh, well. I've delayed it long enough, now is the time to get them.

And there is got to be more than you and I with hearing loss issues. How about it, anyone else with hearing aids who wears a helmet?

#9 ·
Motorcycles are more fun than hearing aids.

I've had this hearing loss for years and just lived with it. I didn't miss all that much. I have enough things with which to deal and didn't want to also have to deal with hearing aids. But more and more I am saying "What...". So it's going to be about $4,000 for the hearing aids, maybe a little less. Costco has a whole hearing department but I might go to Kaiser in San Francisco where I get my other medical stuff. It's easier keeping everything in one place.

#10 ·
hearing aids

I am a vet and have the behind the ear, issue type, hearing aids. Can not put on a helmet with them on. I don't wear them with a helmet. Most of the time, when it's warm enough, I ride without one. Usually I just shut them off and they are ear plugs. In the wind.

Pops

#12 ·
I can't help here Michael but I am interested in how you make out. I am getting close to looking into an aid for one ear. I would probably get the in ear style just for ease of use although I am guessing a lot more expensive. A motorcycle helmet would sure put the damper on the outside the ear style. Good Luck! :beer:

#13 ·
I've got an appointment at one of the Costco Hearing centers for Thursday. I have a recent test from a separate audiologist so I know what I need. I'll decide then what kind I want to get, in the ear or behind the ear. I suspect you are right that an in the ear one would be better for wearing a helmet.

The new hearing aids have Bluetooth so I can probably hear my Garmin 660 for music and directions if I am wearing the hearing aid when riding. Otherwise with the behind the ear kind I think it would too easily come off when putting on or taking off a helmet and I couldn't use it while riding. Being able to hear music and directions seems real nice. I'm going on a long ride this summer (again) and the thought of having music in my ears is music to my ears.

#14 · (Edited)
I have hearing aids Michael.
Behind the ear type.
I would wear them riding but, they end up hurting the area(s) behind my ear(s) after a few hundred miles due to the helmet pressure on the device.
Also, the really good devices have a compression circuit that dampens the amplification after a certain db level. While ridiing, I think mostly from wind, but regardless, the noise is enough to constantly be engaging the compression circuit. So the battery life is really shortened. When not riding, I can get three days or more out of batteries. On the bike, maybe a day.
Also, you'll be tempted to buy "cheaper" ones.
I'd advise to spend more.
The more expensive devices can be very precisely programmed to your specific hearing loss IN EACH EAR. But you're looking at $5K or so for the best of the best.
The cheaper ones will have a tendency to feedback more and will be far less tailorable to your specific hearing loss.
I have a buddy who does hearing aid fitting/installation/programming for his living. Has his own business. Is on our state board of examiners for this type of work.
He's taught me a lot.
Like a HD bike, the markup on these devices is A LOT.
Pays to shop around some.
And there is also a Ford vs Chevy thing. In other words, most of the best vendors (Siemens, Starkey Labs, Unitron, others) all offer similar models at various price points.
Does that make sense I hope?
Hope this helps.
As far as riding, especially on long trips, I just leave mine out in the box while riding during the day and put them in at night.
Oh, and I can't wear them at work because I can't get the stethoscope ear buds to seal in my ear canal while wearing the devices. Drives the nurses nuts! Hah? What did you say? :spank:

#15 ·
:corn:

Michael, was it something I said?

:confused:

#16 ·
Sorry, I didn't see your previous post but I came to about the same conclusions from asking a lot of people. I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a behind the ear set of hearing aids. I had my hearing tested by an audiologist a couple of times over the last few years and the results were consistently the same. So I went to Costco yesterday and ordered their "Signature" brand, http://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-hearing-aid.html. They cost $2,000 dollars and of course Costco claims they are equivalent to the $6,000 ones that others sell. I'm a bit skeptical of this claim but they seem to be a good set. Costco gives the customer a 90 day return guarantee (state law in California only requires a 30 day money back guarantee), and also includes a 2 year loss or damage guarantee.

I'm looking at this set of hearing aids the way someone might buy a used metric cruiser before getting the Harley they really want. This is my "learning" set. This is the set that will tell me what is really important to me and what isn't. And from what I understand, hearing aids are improving so quickly now that like computers they have a life of 3-4 years before you want a new pair with all the new programs and goodies. I pick them up in two weeks and then will have to go through the adjustment process.

The woman at Costco was not an audiologist but a licensed hearing aid dispenser. But she was quite knowledgeable about the issues of wearing a hearing aid while riding a motorcycle. She said most of the things you said the other day.

So they tell me I'll be startled at how much more I am hearing once I am wearing the new hearing aids. I'll see.

So thanks all for the help and info.

#17 ·
I picked up the hearing aids a few hours ago and am wearing them now. The world sounds real different now than it has for a long time. I even hear the keys on the keyboard when I type differently. There is one program in the hearing aids to deal with this.

As usual, I'm overwhelmed with all the new information I need to digest. I'll just take this slow and see what comes up. I have an appointment for two weeks from now to make adjustments.

So I don't think I will wear the hearing aids when riding. There would be too much feedback and they would be too uncomfortable to wear. So I think on days when I am doing a lot of riding I just might leave them home. I certainly won't be wearing them. So I got my answer regarding hearing aids and helmets. I'll see how the rest of this goes for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.