V-Twin Forum banner

Gloves: Deer skin vs. Elk?

18K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  DRG 
#1 ·
What are the differences between the two types of skins?

Which is softer, feels better, more durable, and provide the better protection?

#3 ·
Any good leather is going to give you decent protection. As far as durablity and comfort, it all depends on the treatment, design and workmanship. The type of skin used means nothing if the workmanship is poor.

#4 ·
I wear both, wich one depends on the weather. Deer thin leather, soft, and pliable. Elk a little thicker still soft and pliable. As for protection I have learned since I got married that I shouldnt drag my knuckles. So the gloves keep my hands warm and look cool.

#5 ·
The Elk skin glove is the more durable as a rule. but as mentioned. Workmanship, and quality will also need to be factored in when you are looking at a glove.
I saw a pair of gloves that were great, last year at the NY show.. Lee Parks Design..
They were a bit more than I had to spend, but look them up...they use elk skin

#7 ·
Agree with Rollme. I have a pair of "retired" deer skin riding gloves I keep in my truck for utility wear. Over 10 years old and durn near indestructible. I will try a pair of elk skin next time I need some in 5 or 6 years. I got 2 with my bow this year. My deer processor sells em for 15 bucks.

#8 ·
I have had both. Elk is thicker. Does take break in, if you want them to fit good. I oiled them up to help break in. They are hotter.

I got a pair of Aerostictich ropers. I'd like to find a pair of elk work gloves, they are alot better then deer, for heavy tasks, and cushioning your hands.

#10 ·
Eh Lobo ... I can associate with what yer saying ... Elk is tasty but I find Doe tastier ... now down to the gloves ... Elk is a work glove Doe is a ridin' glove.... treat them both the same with mink oil the elk is still in the shop .. the Doe is in the saddle bags.

Its take yer pick ... both are excellent choices.

#11 ·
It also comes down to how much you are into safety, elk is thicker. I go without safety gear. But 99% of the time have gloves on, cause I don't want to wipe my ass with bandages.

#12 ·
I saw a pair of gloves that were great, last year at the NY show.. Lee Parks Design..
They were a bit more than I had to spend, but look them up...they use elk skin

Have had a pair of Lee Parks for about ten years now. Been soakin' wet many times and still in great shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.