V-Twin Forum banner

Cold weather gear Qs

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  beaujames7 
#1 ·
My bike isn't wired for the electrical stuff as of yet, but it will be in the near future. What I would like to do is purchase electric cold weather riding gear that would be suitable for riding in cold weather without the electrics running. I can layer, use under-armor, or whatever is recommended by those with experience in this arena.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The layering should be on the outside of the heated gear with just normal clothing underneath. Once you get the heated gear wired up, you will not need much layering. I just wear my leather coat over my liner. It still would be pretty warm with out turning it on.

I have been through years of cold weather riding, trying most everything to keep warm before going electric. That was such a waste, should have gone electric years ago.

Getting your bike "wired" will probably be much easier than you think. Same as "connecting up" when you get on your bike. I almost went the "external battery" route thinking it would be easier, so glad I didn't.

Get a jacket liner, gloves and adjustable thermostat that controls each separately and don't look back. You will LOVE it!

I went with gerbings.

rkc

#8 ·
@gree:

it took me 13 years to finally get the gerbings jacket liner,gloves,and thermostat(2 way)

I picked up all three at Americade for (if my memory serves me right) around $400ish

Before that even with heavy gloves the cold would seep in.

#3 ·
#9 ·
Have ridden may years with Gerbings heated gloves, jacket, pants and heated insoles. (used their heated socks before the insoles came out)

If your serious about cold weather riding nothing beats Gerbings. You may layer up and feel comfortable for a while but your body can only keep up for so long.

I ride mostly the Northwest states in the winter. Lots of places do not get much snow and with heated gear I get out for many multiple day trips.

#5 ·
I haven't felt the need for heated pants. Before heated gear, my biggest problem was my hands getting sore and stiff. The gloves keep my hands from freezing and the liner keeps my core warm.

When its below 30, I usually put on my leather overpants, over jeans and long underwear. Above 30, I usually just wear chaps, jeans and long underwear. I also have good boots and socks for my feet.

I suppose if I was riding for hours at a time at below freezing temps, heated pants\socks would be comfy.

But I am also concerned about over powering my system. My wife also has heated gear.

rkc

#6 ·
Thanks again! You brought up a great point, I hadn't considered the system. I'm going to have to hold off on this because I don't know how much leeway I'll end up with when all is said and done. You just saved me a G note, if you're ever down in SW CT, shoot me a PM, I'll buy the beer, or coffee. :)

#7 ·
Just figure 25 Amps to run EFI
2-3 amps is needed to charge the battery.
Gives you 23-25 amps to play with for gear if you have 50 amps.
Just do the math as you add on
Gloves 2.2 amps
Vest 4 amps
Liner jacket 6 amps
Pants 4-6 amps
Socks 1.5 - 2 amps
Or figure it up in watts. :)

#12 ·
#15 ·
I got to be truthful:)
I have 2 pair of Gerbing and 1 pair H-D (Gerbing) gloves, a Gerbing jacket ,and another light vest.
the Gerbing heat trollers are kinda wimpy,they dont last long. IMO.
heat troller make a nice controller.
if you want to load up (two up) then dual troller is the way to go. you can turn them down and draw less wattage.
most the time when I gear up solo I just use two on/off switches and toggle as needed. one for jacket and vest and one for the pants and socks.
it is nice to have the store bought jacket and the gloves, just plug them into the jacket sleeves and go. the cord through the sleeves works fine also,it is just nice to not have cords everywhere when you get off to fuel.

#17 ·
After moving north, I must be nuts, I went electric this past Spring. gloves, jacket liner & pants liner. Haven't used pants liner yet. I got a dual temperature controller, clipped on belt or chaps loop it is near impossible to adjust even if I take the gloves off. Do you guys mount them on the bike, if so where? Thanks

#18 ·
I have a front lower pocket on my coat that I clip the controller too. No problems adjusting at all. Not being able to adjust would suck.

Do you have any pockets on your coat?

rkc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.