V-Twin Forum banner

Boots you swear by

33K views 132 replies 63 participants last post by  berserker 
#1 ·
Hey guys. In the market for some new boots, stores locally are very limited so I will probably order online and need some input. Right now im looking at the harness boots by ariat and xelement.

What boots can't you guys live without.

Im pretty much stuck on square toe and black.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

#84 ·
I had Carolina engineer boots. What failed for me was the glued in insert. One you wore a hole in that, you might as well throw the boot out.

#89 ·
The $300 ones are usually US, $200 and below Chinese.

#90 ·
#93 ·
I've been using Carolina brand, not the best I've used over the years by a long shot, these boots are getting scarce, I used to wear knapp's, they were awesome compared to the Carolina brand. I bought 2 pairs the last time, 1 for now one for later lol, I took them both brand new and had the vibram soles put on. I don't meet a lot of people concerned with their footwear much anymore, a pair of the cheap, made anywhere except the USA, (much like many parts on the all American made bikes we ride) but expensive MoCo brand boots are about all the riders around here use, except the hard asses like me :hmmm:

#95 ·
Thorgood makes boots in the USA, they are on my list to try. Some or all are made in WI.

I am not into longevity as much as I am comfort. I am not sure the recraftable boots are as comfortable as the injection molded type. You don't see as many injection molded boots made in America. Which is odd, I would think the stiched type would be more labor intensive. Dunno.

I also change out my inserts alot. I also get new summer socks every year. I wear nothing but merino wool.

I wish more boots would come out with bigger toe box. Why they make pointed boots is just archaic. That is why I like Red Wing King toes, Chinese, but I like the big toe box especially since I wear safety toes. Though I wonder if the big toe box makes the boots wider.

I used to wear Carolina engineer boots until they started making them in China. Also what pissed me off is if I remember right they glue the inserts. Stupid thing boot companies ever do. Might as well chuck the boots in the bush.

#101 ·
I've bought 3 custom pair from Wesco, 2 lineman's and 1 engineer's. They've all been heavy but completely comfortable from day one.

I recently got a pair of Double-H western style work boots. I've always liked Double-H, and I like these boots, but I'm a little concerned about the insert. The sensation's kind of like a size 12 beanbag, with a strip of glue down the center holding it in place.

joe

#97 ·
#99 ·
I love boots and have several pairs for work and play spending a lot of time in the woods laying down miles with my dogs, etc.
My favorites for comfort and longevity are Chips and Danner. True welted boots for me. Glued up soles fail and are not as stable a platform.
If you take care of them, they'll take care of you.
Rotate them so they dry thoroughly.
Just sayin'.

#100 ·
$$$ but I just bought a pair of Mendel for the woods. They make a tactical type boot I will look at. I got the memory cork, the perfect system. I really like them.

I got the ultimate hunter over the the denali cause I like the way it laced up, locked my foot better.

$$ but very good. Not made in China either

#115 ·
I've never seen that one. I thought you were trying to cure a different problem- where the leather bites or bunches at the junction of foot and leg, where the bending actually happens.

That's the one where skipping an eyelet helps. It also helped me that my Wescos have a thick strip of leather under the laces, from toes to just above that foot-to-leg junction.

Did you try the trick in the link you posted? Did it help?

joe

#116 ·
There are many different ways to lace boots for different goals. On some of my boots at the foot where it bends I got straight up to next hole, rather then crossing. This is easier to bend. Now if you were jumping out of planes you probably wouldn't do that.

#120 ·
So I've tried skipping over the 1st set of hooks where the ankle starts to bend. So far so good :)

Oh and btw, Wesco is having a sale on factory seconds with free shipping.
Just picked up a second set of groundouts for $270!

#121 ·
So I've tried skipping over the 1st set of hooks where the ankle starts to bend. So far so good :)
70!
I don't skip but rather go up instead of crossing. I do this with boots with eyelets not hooks.

Got me wanting a new pair of boots.

#125 ·
Homesick;3618090My custom 16" lineman's boots were $300 in '95 or so. I think you did good. joe[/QUOTE said:
Joe

other than for climbing do you wear 16's?
What do you think compared to 10" for comfort?

#126 · (Edited)
Personally, I don't think a 10" vs a 16" would have much to do with comfort. They're both tall enough to give great support. I'd think the comfort question would be all about the foot and ankle.

I've never worn 10s. I basically wear pull-on boots now, for work and for play. I don't have to lace them and the only climbing I do anymore is a ladder. No more towers and no more gaffs. I wear the Wescos occasionally for riding but even that's been a while. I wore them 10-12 years with my uniform, the issued Carolinas and my feet didn't get along well.

Here's a lovely shot of them on Guam, exiting a Navy Sea Air Rescue helicopter. We traded Navy a ride around the islands for cable TV to their hangar. I damn near fell off the hangar running the co-ax cable for them.

joe

Attachments

#127 ·
Yeah, ive never even tried anything taller than 10".
Only climbing I did in the Navy was on the masts and ladders working on arrays and directors, nowadays I'll climb on top of a generator or switchboard lineup sometimes but that about it, hence the EH ground boots.

I'll tell ya though, pull ons sound mighty nice.

Good photo btw, brings me back to the good 'ol days lol

#129 ·
Similar to what I do. I don't climb, I work mostly in stations so we use lifts.

My employers requires FRC and safety toes. Probably EH, but all you need to do is show they are safety toe.

I have gotten away from steel toe, except maybe for summer boots. One local store I like, I told them all their boots are steal, and I am not buying them.

I wear 8". I just got a pair of 10" hunting boots. So far I really haven't noticed a big difference. But I just started wearing them Saturday.

I am trying LL Bean boots, made in Maine. $130. They run huge and they tell you that. I kinda like them with heavy socks, but I wanted them for warm weather. They are only leather on the ankles. Lots of boots like this. But sometimes I like some padding. Depends on the boot I guess. I am so so on these boots. I wanted all rubber bottom for less scent in the woods.

#128 ·
Man, I love my Dan Post Clovis work boots. Lug sole, round toe, comfortable for all day riding and “some” walking, top is tall enough not to catch on my cuffs, stitched so they don't get floppy and fall down, and they are nice enough I can wear with khakis to my office job without changing all the time. And they're discontinued. If my bike ever fell on my ankle, they probably wouldn't do me much good, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.