V-Twin Forum banner

So has anyone successfully "un-shrunk" your jacket?

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  BigD 
#1 ·
So I'm going through some of my old gear today, dug up 2 nice Vanson jackets I used to wear about 10 years ago (I'm all about fox creek these days)...tried them on...yep they shrunk :huh: - both are 46's, I'm up to a 50 these days.

So my question is, are they worth keeping?

As we get older, our bodies change, our weight set point changes too. I'm sure I'm not alone on this one, who of you out there has managed to drop the lbs and get back into your old leathers? How long did it last before they shrank up again?

#2 ·
I agree with you on the Fox Creek Jackets, good stuff. 50 to 46 is a big drop, I'd say give them new life with someone else. I had my original HD jacket sit in a closet for years and the only time I thought about it was when I was searching for something in the closet and had to move it out of the way, finally let it go. Sell it and buy something for the bike. Hey I'm a 46!

#5 ·
I've worn the same old Vetter Bomber jacket for 30 years, it started getting snug. I leave beer alone, and quit going for seconds at the table and dropped 15 lbs.

#7 ·
Our bodies change and so do our habits. That can create a "perfect storm".

About 7 years ago I found my leather jacket getting close to being unwearable. With consious effort, over about 6 months time, I lost 30 pounds. Not only did my jacket fit well again but so did a lot of other things.

Last year, I realized that I had let 15 of those pounds creep back on. Again, with effort and changing eating habits and starting a regular workout routine, I have now dropped 10 pounds since Jan 1 of this year. It is a constant effort, but when I adhere to my plan I always feel very good about it and I remind myself every time I put my jeans on.

Don't know that this helps any but I think if you really want to do it, you can fight the "aging spread", at least to a certain extent. Its all up to you. If you decide to do it, keep the jackets in a very visible location to serve as your incentive.

Good luck.

#10 ·
I guess from what im reading is that im doing it wrong. Ive had my jacket laid over a chair with weights tired to it trying to streatch it a couple sizes, ive even thought about tieing one arm to the shed and the other arm to the back of the bike and do a burnout thinking this might stretch it the few inches i need. I put it on now i look like on of those ninja riding kungfu fighting crotch rockeet riders. lol Oh and while im on the subject, i want my hair back, its drafty up there now in my older age.

#11 ·
I am big enough as is. I tend to put on 20 or so pounds until my jacket (Vansons) is getting tight. Then I will count calories and drop most of the pounds recently put on. A new Vansons like the one I have I think is priced at $650. That along with being able to see my privates and living a long life, are good incentives.

Counting calories and some exercise (even just walking) will do it for me.

rkc

#12 ·
... being able to see my privates... are good incentives.

rkc
Yea, cause I'll bet it really sucks when you pee on your feet at the urinal! :hystria::redrolf::hystria::redrolf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.