V-Twin Forum banner

Unspoken Rule?

4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  FoxCreekLeather 
#1 ·
I have many customers who come into our store that will ride up on their bike and walk in and mostly all of them are wearing a "motorcycle" shirt, whether it be from a Harley Davidson Store in Anytown, USA or a shirt from a rally, etc. I was just wondering if this is an unspoken rule that when you go out on a ride that you have to wear a bike shirt. I would relate this to wearing a jersey when you go to a football game. Is it just something that is done? Do you unconsciously reach for a specific shirt when you are planning on taking a ride? Is color important? I see oranges and many blacks. I am just looking for any thoughts on this subject!

#2 · (Edited)
Next you are going to ask about our secret handshake?

:)

There are no rules about shirts. Many here actually frown upon wearing HD (esp too much HD) clothing.

But as you noticed, it is the norm to wear a HD (or your favorite brand), event or favorite bar shirt. I tend to wear events and bar shirts more than HD shirts. I like to get them as working souvenirs.

And the only time I worry about color (other than avoid black on hot sunny days) is when I go to a even run by a patch club. Like I won't wear a red and white shirt to a non affiliated club event.

rkc

#5 ·
Cool. It is interesting to hear other responses. I must say I wear my Carolina Panthers jersey to their games (Charlotte is the closest stadium to where I live) even though they are not my fav :)

#4 ·
I will not ask for a secret handshake (and probably and not coordinated enough to remember one at that! ;))

I have seen a few bar and/or restaurant t-shirts. I see a lot of HD shirts and when I see then I wish that I could design a cool Fox Creek Leather shirt for us to sell. I can see the souvenir appeal and customers have enough bought the shirts we sell.

Thanks for your reply!

#8 ·
If you are thinking of making shirts to sell, I think it would be a good idea. If someone see's your coat on a person, they probably wouldn't know it was a Fox Creek. But if they had a Fox Creek shirt too, that would be great advertising.

We have vansons up here and they sell shirts and stuff.

rkc

#12 · (Edited)
We actually do have one T-shirt we sell and we get it from a family-run company down in Texas called S.O.S. From Texas. It is organic cotton, kind of an off white color:
see shirt here

But I do not think that it is a very popular color or maybe too plain? What are your thoughts on this? Or anyone's thoughts for that matter....

#9 ·
I usually wear what ever is first on the closet rod or top of the drawer, and if it's a Harley shirt then so be it. I try to wear shirts that I got free from vendors/companies (the little guy) so that I can help spread word about their product(s). Color don't make a difference to me

#11 ·
I usually wear a plain tee shirt or a buttoned work shirt. Im not big into being a HD billboard, I ride one, that should be enough.

Would I kick around wearing a fox creek shirt, maybe, as long as it's not over the top with the styling. I pitch your company to about everyone I know who is looking for leather anyway.

BTW, any plans for a used leather program? Mines...ahem...shrunk a bit since I picked it up :)

#15 ·
Right now, the T-shirt we have for sell has a pocket on the front with a logo and then on the back it has our big circle logo. In a previous post I linked a picture. Which makes me think of another question: Pocket or No Pocket??

As for your last comment about a used leather program. We do not have one, it is hard enough trying to sell gently used items, however, we can offer you a discount on a new jacket just ask for me! :)

#22 ·
Okay... so you're looking for input on revising your tee. Here's mine:

* Offer several styles besides your basic tee, as the range of HD riders is wide. You have everything from old to young, professionals to blue collar, to business owners. What one type of guy might like isn't the same across the board.

* Dark colors are preferable to me because they don't show road grime as readily.
FWIW, I tend not to wear logos - unless I like the design, or really like the business - and design trumps business unless I REALLY like the company.

* Offer long sleeves, heavier cotton.

JMHO.

#23 ·
I'll chime in here, the logo is simple, easy to read and conveys what your business does. I like the pocket style t-shirts.

My preference would be for a darker color to choose from.

#24 ·
after years of riding my family thinks an acceptable gift for Xmas or my B-day is a Harley shirt or some other article of HD clothing :rolleyes: 99% of my T-Shirts are HD, it's not really much of a choice lol...

#26 ·
Good to see the small leather outfits are still hanging on. I have a place up here Walter Dyer leather who has been around for quite a while churning out decent coats and boots. it seems leather is one of those markets that the Wally Worlds or other conglomerates haven't been able to drive under. Keep up the good work.

I grab whatever is on top of the pile for my tees. Not a big fan of the HD $30 tee.

Ashley, I like your logo. I think if you add some diversity in color and styles you'll move more volume for sure. Maybe a buy a jacket throw in a tee to get em out there wouldn't hurt either.

#29 ·
Ashley, I like your logo. I think if you add some diversity in color and styles you'll move more volume for sure. Maybe a buy a jacket throw in a tee to get em out there wouldn't hurt either.
We have tossed that idea around a bit (but a jacket get a tee) and that would be a good way to move inventory.

I agree with the general consensus of going with a darker color, different styles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.