V-Twin Forum banner

Have you ever rebuilt your helmet's interior?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  JOHNNYWISHBONE 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 3 full face helmets which are used and selected alternately depending on riding condtions: a carbon fiber Vemar VSC, carbon fiber HJC FS-15, and a collector's Shoei X-Eleven Daijuro Kato Memorial (D. Kato was a 250 MotoGP champion killed in his native land at the Suzuka circuit during a 2003 race. This helmet is rarely ever worn by me and mostly kept in a display case).

The $800.00 Vemar, which is a little over 5 years old and cost me half of the aforementioned price, is made in Italy to Euro and US DoT safety specifications. It is worn by some of the world's highest performance drivers in FIFA Motorsports (Formula 1). It was supplied with replacement shield screws, pads for crown and cheek in the same size as the original equipment. Replacement parts and shields are extremely difficult to find.

Since it was nearing it's useful service life, I decided to rip into it with gusto this morning and found that the guts are literally held together by wedging each component against the next. No hot glue gun needed, or plastic snaps to break, or even Velcro. It took me about 10 minutes to complete the job and was surprisingly simple.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have rebuilt my Shoei helmet when I could still buy the parts for it, what is nice about Shoei is the replacement parts fit better than the ones from the factory, as all the pieces are fit by size, so you maybe able to go up one size or down one size depending on your liking, great idea for a custom fit....local dealers should be able to support any lid less than 10 years old.

#3 ·
from what I understand, helmets have a lifespan of about 5 years. I guess you will be saving it for a display case.
That is if you are concerned about that sort of thing, if not so be it

#4 ·
Don't skimp on what protects your head. Replace every 5 yrs or right after "use". The foam breaks down over time. Plus your getting better technology. Plus a helmet that old could have been dropped over time and that can damage a helmet too.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPod touch app

#6 ·
I suspect that the "foam" is what Scrubs is actually talking about. Yes, it does break down. It is, when you boil it down, styrofoam. a.k.a polystyrene. Like a styrofoam coffee cup, it will "break down" over time. To Scrubs' point, however, if the rest of the helmet, generally plastic, is in good shape, it makes perfect sense to me to simply replace the styrofoam impact absorbing material, if possible, and be good for another five years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.