V-Twin Forum banner

Went shopping today curious on how I did

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Scrubs 
#1 ·
For those of you who know your stuff, here's what I got today (all custom made)

1. Myself a Harley riding jacket with back padding, elbow, and shoulder padding, and removable liner. I had a few custom things added such as a hard camera case built into the jacket, and cell phone pocket on the inside. With reflective material.
2. My girlfriend a leather riding jacket (Not sure what she had put on there as she told the guy in Korean which I don't understand)
3. A pair of chaps for her with things like a cell phone pocket on the side of the leg, removable liner, etc

All thick leather, paid $700 for everything. We'll get the stuff in a few weeks.

How did I do? Also the guy's reputation among the local riders in my area is superb. So I trust the workmanship will be excellent.

#4 ·
I have langlitz leather riding pants, western style. They are 10 years old and other than a mark from where I had them unzipped and they were hitting my exhaust, they look like new.
I have put many miles on them in all kinds of weather. You will pay big dollars for them but they are worth it.

#6 · (Edited)
Nik, it warms my heart to know that somebody out there is not frightened to say that they had custom tailored H-D knockoffs made in Korea. When I made a trip to Osan in 2007, I had a custom fit thick leather riding jacket made for Shoonu (Mrs. Scrubs), and she's afraid the MoCo will come and sieze it as evidence in a trademark infringement suit. She's scared of everything except stuff that could really kill her...like cancer.

Her's is even prettier mounted on her rack than it was while hanging on the tailor's rack; but, I may be partial since she's my wife - LoL. Honestly, the knockoff has retained its luster better than the same Chinese-made MoCo jacket that I have seen others wearing.

#7 ·
Three factors, it's quality lasting stuff, it fits and you like it. If all three criteria are met you did good. I had folks tell me 8 years ago I was a fool to pay so much for an FXRG jacket (at 20% discount). I've worn it a lot over the last 8 years, it fits, it still looks great, and I'm very happy with it, so it was a winner.

#8 ·
Was that in Osan? That open air market outside the base gate was three kinds of cool, and huge. I wanted to do some custom Gore-Tex, but didn't. My Chief had 2 or 3 suits made and was very happy with them.

I also made the mistake, on my 2nd trip there, of taking a handful of the squadron's money and having 200 challenge coins made. They added a lot of weight to my bag, coming home.

If the quality lives up to your expectations, I think you did well. I would've had a gun pocket incorporated too. When you're saying 'padding' are you meaning 'armor'?

joe

#9 ·
Nik, it warms my heart to know that somebody out there is not frightened to say that they had custom tailored H-D knockoffs made in Korea. When I made a trip to Osan in 2007, I had a custom fit thick leather riding jacket made for Shoonu (Mrs. Scrubs), and she's afraid the MoCo will come and sieze it as evidence in a trademark infringement suit.
I saw a Jacket at the local dealer for $700 I'll be damned if I ever pay $700 for a jacket.
Was that in Osan? That open air market outside the base gate was three kinds of cool, and huge. I wanted to do some custom Gore-Tex, but didn't. My Chief had 2 or 3 suits made and was very happy with them.

I also made the mistake, on my 2nd trip there, of taking a handful of the squadron's money and having 200 challenge coins made. They added a lot of weight to my bag, coming home.

If the quality lives up to your expectations, I think you did well. I would've had a gun pocket incorporated too. When you're saying 'padding' are you meaning 'armor'?
Yea it was in Osan. Just outside of the main gate.

I had a suit tailor made in Korea too, thing fits perfectly they do good work here. They aren't as cheap as they used to be. But it's still cheaper then the states

And yea I meant armor, I feel armor is important especially if I ever go down one day.

#10 · (Edited)
I saw a Jacket at the local dealer for $700 I'll be damned if I ever pay $700 for a jacket.
OH NO! Me neither. Shoonu's was made from the ground up for 225 bones...she's petite. I had another made by the same leather craftman as a favor to my brother the following year on a visit to Osan's shopping district for around, I believe, $400. The tailor only needed his measurements and this exact photo to tailor it. My brother, V-LOCO on this site can tell you about the fit, style, function and performance.

...I meant armor, I feel armor is important especially if I ever go down one day.
I like the way you think, Nik.

#11 ·
I like the way you think, Nik.
I really don't understand why more people don't think like me, but I also think that's because the guy who taught me how to ride was into dual sport riding and one day I should up without a helmet and he called me a ****ing idiot and sent me home. I said what he said "you fall and bust open your head and you can say good bye to your riding days" I always wear my gear.

#12 · (Edited)
@gree:

BTW Nik00117, my sales training is complete and I'm happily and actively selling Harley-Davidson Motorcycles at Red River H-D!

3 weeks' tally: 1 New a '12 FLHTCU in 2 tone Big Blue Pearl & Vivid Black w/pinstriping. 4 pre-enjoyed of various H-D families & years.

Your patronage and advice is appreciated. :thanks:

#13 ·
BTW Nik00117, my sales training is complete and I'm happily actively selling Harley-Davidson Motorcycles at Red River H-D!
Your welcome however don't assume I know how to sell Harley's better then you! (only maybe 15-20% of my overall business is Harleys and I could use a few pointers from you!

Example how the heck do you qualify a guy on a Harley? How do you figure out which Harley is right for them.

#14 · (Edited)
Your welcome however don't assume I know how to sell Harley's better then you! (only maybe 15-20% of my overall business is Harleys and I could use a few pointers from you!

Example how the heck do you qualify a guy on a Harley? How do you figure out which Harley is right for them.(?)
Nik, I don't assume anything at anytime. I didn't realize that you sold cars, too, but I also didn't assume that you sold only Harleys. As you know, assuming is treacherous in any endeavor; and, especially so if we're talking about selling motorcycles. I don't quite get you in part 1 of your two-part question. I'll take a stab at answering the 2nd part:

Harley-Davidson University online uses a time-tested method to determine what the customer is seeking. Try to attain this training if you ever get the opportunity; informational knowledge is power.

Getting the proper motorcycle that meets the basic necessary capabilities for a given customer takes a bit of detective work. Sometimes the questions leading to understanding is straightforward; other times, it is a challenge with many tangents taken and summarily rejected. We, as H-D salesmen, try our level best to understand what the customer's needs are, more so than we succumb to their desires in a motorcycle. At the end of the day, the customer is going to get what they want more often than they get what they truly need. It is, after all, their discretionary income, and I want them to spend it in our place of business rather than another vehicle sales showroom. Hence the phrase, "The customer is always right." :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.