V-Twin Forum banner

Lightest FF Helmet? Any new ones out?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Scrubs 
#1 ·
Anyone know what FF helmet is the lightest? A head injury long ago seems to now limit what helmets I can tolerate as per neck pain.. I can wear the skid lid's just fine but really wanting to wear the FF full-time..
Thanks

#3 ·
Yay! FF helmet reviews!! Finally, something I know about!!!

Please, please, please don't sacrifice your safety in the pursuit of comfort.

If light(est)weight is what you're wanting and safety is what you need, then look no further than helmets constructed with carbon fiber.

Yes. The very same carbon fiber used in various sanctioning bodys' competitive racing safety equipment such as driver survival pods and HANS Devices in Formula1, IndyCar and NASCAR

I've worn some very high-end-brand "true" full face lids (Arai, Shoei, Suomy and Vemar among but a few brands on my shelf at home) and the cost of the brand name almost always measures up to the benefits; especially in the brands I've listed. I have also tried modular FF helmets and find true FF is the only helmet for me, my wallet and my skull's integrity.

Now, throw carbon fiber construction into the equation, and the price tag really takes a leap upwards, along with the list of benefits and advancements in design/comfort. The weight scale should barely tip past 3 pounds.

For a sale price of $400, I purchased a Vemar VSR/C Carbon Fiber Full Face from KneeDraggers online in September 2005 and am still wearing it. It was reguralyly priced at $800 then, the 2010 Anniversary Edition was $1000; I don't know where they can found for now, nor for how many duckets.

At its introduction, the VSR was advertised as one of the lightest, most comfortable on the market due to its carbon fiber shell construction and fore-to-aft ventilation systems. It has one of the largest eye port openings of all FF helmets and is The helmet meets US DOT and all Euro safety standards. Racing columnists, as well as medical and engineering experts have said that if 3-time F1 Champion Ayrton Senna had been wearing this helmet at the San Marino Grand Prix in 1994 he would probably have survived the head-on impact with the wall at the Imola circuit's notorious Tamburello Corner.

The interior lining of mine has been rebuilt twice because it is my favorite by far. I also wear an HJC FS-15 that's slightly lighter but less comfortable and much noisier.

I keep returning to my old trusty Vemar. I could go on and on raving about helmets, but, I can tell you've had enough of my plug for carbon fiber.

Best of Luck BadTwin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.