V-Twin Forum banner

riding glasses

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  ironhead smitty 
#1 ·
OK, I've been using the same style riding glasses for at least 10 years now. You can buy these damn glasses by the dozen at any rally for $5, they're padded and the lenses are easy to pop out and interchange with smoke or clear for day/night riding. I've ALWAYs been able to find replacement lens or frames but here lately it seems like they've stopped making this particular style and I can't find what I need.

So, looking for a new brand with interchangeable lenses (and this is key) that are easily replaced if lost or scratched beyond use.

What are you using??

#5 ·
:yikes: for $200 they better give one hell of a blow job!

nah, can't do it, they wouldn't last a month before they're lost, broke or stolen lol!

#4 ·
I've spent everything from two bucks to two hundred bucks on dozens of different riding glasses and the best for me are Birdz. They make a bunch of different ones, but I like the Orioles. About twelve bucks a pair, or you can buy three pairs (clear, smoked & yellow) for like twenty bucks. The best part is I've lost em', broke em', run em' over, had em' ripped off, and WHO CARES?! They're twelve bucks. I buy them a half dozen at a time. For me the yellow is weird, but the smoke & clear are excellent for day & night.

#6 ·
....lost em', broke em', run em' over, had em' ripped off, and WHO CARES?! .....
yeah this I why I buy cheap ones. If I buy expensive this invariably happens, usually sooner rather than later.

I picked up 3 pack of glasses for $25 off eBay, don't like 'em much but they'll do until I can find what I want...

#8 ·
Riding glasses...

It's just a suggestion on my part, but what ever glasses you ride with, check to see if they have a ANSI rating of BD 87+. I had a rock chip hit me in the lens and it broke into several sharp shards. I had a nasty cut under my eye....now I only ride with HD Safety glasses, shaded for day and clear for night.

#10 ·
It's just a suggestion on my part, but what ever glasses you ride with, check to see if they have a ANSI rating of BD 87+. I had a rock chip hit me in the lens and it broke into several sharp shards. I had a nasty cut under my eye....now I only ride with HD Safety glasses, shaded for day and clear for night.
@gree: Doesn't matter what you wear but make sure they have a good impact rating. A 1/2 inch stone off a tire at 70mph andf if the fall doesn't kill ya you're gonna make a fine pirate.

#11 ·
I have been wearing, and swear by, military-grade 8 base Rec Spec sport motorcycling sunglasses in the Biker high contrast style from Liberty Sport for around 10 years or so. Carried and almost always available at AAFES Optical shops worldwide for $75; not a problem for a person that isn't inclined to sit on them or leave them sitting on the bar. If they are ever discontinued I will be up the Shaw_2112 creek without a paddle.

RecSpecs have the style and perfect fit for a helmet, they're extremely durable, with lenses that are scratch- and shatter-resistant, and have the only frame that slides in between my skull and full face helmet without any snags or bends. I can usually put them on with 1 hand and never have to adjust while riding since the matte-finished frame doesn't slide back and forth like the hard plastic frames found in drugstores on the $10 rack.

:thumbsdn: There is a not so good feature however, I'm searching the link and not finding any motorsports styles with interchangeble or photochromic transitional lenses for day into night riding.

#16 ·
We have "June" bugs , feels like a golf ball while riding. Good glasses are a must. I'd rather have two pair than mess around changing lens out ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.