V-Twin Forum banner

Inexpensive Jacket

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  EthanLee 
#1 ·
I'm a new rider and am looking for an inexpensive riding jacket. I noticed a lot of good jackets cost over $500.00. I know I shouldn't go by the price since this is my life and skin I'm trying to protect. But I know there has to be some cheaper options that are just as good. I'm currently only riding parking lots until I get the hang of my new bike, so my current jacket is just a Harley jacket that feels like Dickies material. But I want something safer, and I hear leather is the way to go. But leather in the summer? Thanks in advance

#14 ·
You asked about 'inexpensive' jackets........I really like everything I've gotten from Leatherup.com from jackets to bags and it was all inexpensive. I'm stating the obvious when I say it's a toss up between what you can afford and what makes you feel safe. I have a $70 jacket with road scars on it that were not transferred to my skin. You could spend a whole lot more if that's what you want.

#4 ·
Sometimes you get what you pay for. 15-20 years ago I got a great deal on nice heavy leather biker jacket. Boy it seemed well made and appeared to be good heavy duty leather.

That was until I slid down the road on it, maybe just 10-15 feet? The stitching and leather just tore up and I got a good rash on my arm.

After that I got a vansons. (the factory is near here).

that's my experience.

rkc

#5 ·
Harley sells a fairly inexpensive plain jane leather jacket for around $250. The only logo on it is a small embroidered logo over the left chest area. I bought one as a mid step while I am loosing weight. I have been very pleased with it, may buy a smaller one once I bottom out on the weight loss.

#9 ·
Good leather will keep the road rash off you, trust me on that. The rash on my old jacket is like a trophy.

Another thing to consider is armor. Some HD jackets, and I'm sure some others, now take armor at the elbows, shoulders, and back. (I also discovered that a holster's pretty good at keeping rash off your hip.)

joe

#10 ·
Check out ebikerleather.com. I have bought 2 jackets and side-zip pants (chap pants) and summer weight gauntlet gloves from them. All are made from Naked Leather. They are made in India. For the price, I will highly recommend them

#17 ·
@gree:
good people with GOOD prices. one of my jackets from them was on close out. heavy joe rocket ballistic ,retailed for 399.00 bought it for 69.99

#12 ·
I got a new HD leather jacket on Ebay for half price from an HD dealer. I just went to my local HD dealer and found the size that fit me then went home and bought it. I love this jacket since it fits perfect and is very well made.

#13 ·
If your lookin for a jacket that will last ya a lifetime get a hold of

http://www.onthefringeleather.com/daytona.html

Ask for Elaina ...
first class leather work guarenteed & custom fit to your liking. Very reasonable on the pocketbook & quality next to none.

#16 ·
I use Icon Moto for Jackets and helmets. I have found thier textile jackets to be indestructable after a couple of falls, and thier helmets are well built and last longer than other brands I've bought.
I paid $215 for thier Ti-Max jacket that is going on 12 years old now.

#19 ·
also keep an eye open at any swap meets or shows you go to. I just got a real nice
jacket at a swap meet in Pa. Heavy leather, removeable liner, vented, extra pockets.
Was $140, waited till the end of the day, $100, with a leather backpack thrown in.
Best part, I tried it on an know it fits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.