V-Twin Forum banner

To build a shipping crate

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  2010 FLHX 
#1 ·
I shipped my bike from Texas to Dubai and had to build a crate for it. The bike arrived in Dubai without a scratch and the crate was completely in tact although it obviously took a couple of hits during transit judging by the chipping and scratches.

It took my some time to figure out how to build a sturdy crate and to make technical drawings so I figured I should share this info. The manual I used to make the design is from the USDA: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/ah252.pdf

The design I made myself is in my profile pics and I think can be used 1:1 by anyone that would like to ship his own bike. I also have a 3D autocad version if anyone is interested. I shipped a 700+ lbs FLT with it so I guess pretty much any Harley would fit :)

If you are gonna build your own crate and want some tips, feel free to send me a PM.

#2 ·
This is a good article. Too often packing gets short-changed, and this information considers handling, exposure, stacking, and the other hazards encountered in the freight process.

Recently I ordered a working replica 1860 Heavy Calvary Sabre from Cold Steel, via Cabela's. It was shipped in a too light cardboard box which lacked sufficient internal support and buffeting protections. The scabbard hammered the brass quillion in shipment.

The item was returned "freight damaged," and we declined to request a replacement, opting instead for a refund. No thought given to the shipping container.

A bit of thought and care in shipping could have saved them a sale, and some customer loyalty. This was a circa ten pound shipment valued at about $350.

Shipping a motorcycle is a much larger, more expensive undertaking. Don't trust your paint and chrome to the gorillas working on the loading dock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.