V-Twin Forum banner

Modular Motorcycle Helmets

6K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  prodog87 
#1 ·
Looking for real life experience. I have owned dozen's of several helmet since 1967 and I am looking for responses from riders who have owned modular helmets. Please no opinions from riders who have not. I believe that wearing a helmet is a personal choice but I do live in a state that requires one.

I am looking to purchase one (Nolan 103 N-com) and don't know what to expect. N-com is not very important, is more of the functionally, long term comfort and reliability of the helmet that is important to me.

Fit of the Nolan is perfect for my head shape and it is very comfortable, at least in the at the dealer, but that's not real life on the road. Before I purchase I would like to know what others think and which mfgs. what you prefer and why. Thanks

#2 ·
I bought my first modular helmet last spring. It is Cycle Gear's house brand, Bilt. I am an easy fit and I use a medium size helmet. They were having a sale and it cost me only about $100. I used it on a cross country ride and since then, perhaps 10,000 miles all together. I like it for gas stops, etc. when I don't want to take the helmet off but do want air or to be able to take a drink. I like it.

#11 ·
@gree:

Did the same thing two weeks ago for cool weather riding. Love it!
Can even hear the radio nicely....although the little lady can't hear it well when she wears hers as a passenger.

#3 ·
I dont wear a nolan. but I always wear a modular.
I love them . find the one that fits you well. then wear it around the store for 20-30 mins to see how it feels.
just putting them on for 30-40 secs wont let you get the real feel for the helmet. Nolan makes a fine helmet

#4 ·
I wear a modular also. Have ridden short trips and long trips. My friend got taken out by a cager in traffic the other day wearing his modular and the helmet did it's job. Helmet stayed closed and protected his head from judged by the concrete rutts left in his helmet..
Comfort yes
Protection yes
Accessibility yes
Noise I find it to be a little louder as far as wind noise then a solid helmet.

#6 ·
Thanks Michael Psycle and strokerjlk.

Wore the Nolan for 20 minutes, weight is more that I am use to but not to heavy. Like the ability of the modular to flip up to talk, or drink without taking the helmet off.

#19 ·
I have worn a Fulmer modular (141.00 at the Honda dealer near me) for the last 3 years. I will admit, I only wear it in the winter here in Texas,but it is quiet, and comfy. I do wear it on any long trips, because if it does offer better protection, than my half helmet, but is hotter in the summer. I do notice that I am not as tired after a full day in the saddle, compared to the half helmet.

#7 ·
Thanks RASNHAVK and jammerx

I do expect them to be more protective and I am concerned with the noise issue that modular helmets have.

Ride with thunderheaders and use ear plugs but only time will tell if the added noise is a problem.

#9 ·
Noise is gonna be part of the equation Horse. Good thing you're already accustomed to wearing earplugs.

It was so hot this year that I tried an HJC Symax II modular and while everything else was perfect including cost, the noise was much more pronounced than the HJC carbon fiber FF that I normally wear.

Good luck.

#15 ·
I would like to thanks everyone who replied to this post.

I have spent several days stopping by every shop that sells helmets including various dealers, Harley, Honda, BMW, Sport bike shops and local retailers.

I than spent a day on the internet searching for pricing.

Nolan gave me the best fit but I was a little taken back by cost. Nolan N103 goes for nearly $300 to $400. Than I found a site where I ordered a Nolan N103 Outlaw Modular N-com in flat black. Same helmet as all the other N-103 except it does not have the large Nolan decal. Price shipped to my door is $219.95

Site is www.ohsmotorsports.com

I will post again after I get 500 miles with this helmet and let you all know what I experience.

#17 ·
I know this comes way late in the game but I was doing a ton of research on this topic and for me it was a toss up between Nolan and the Shark ST-3. I went with the Shark and just got it a few days ago, I have not taken any long trips with it yet, next month I am taking a 2K trip to the Rockies, but for the experience I do have with it the helmet is nice, comfy, easy to change between FF and 3/4 with one hand while still on the bike and it also has an internal slide down sun visor. Like most have said it's a bit heavier due to the moving componants but suprisingly it's very balanced with it in 3/4 or FF and fairly quiet. The Sharks are known for running a bit big so I got a medium and it fits nice.....the downside is they are not cheap, ball park of $400 but I think it's a good investment in the long run. If any body else out there has the Shark and has put a few 500-600 mile days in it post a quick review and let us know what you think. I'll post again after I get back from the Rockies and really get a good feel for the long haul comfort of the lid.

#16 ·
FYI - I wear a Shoei when the weather drops below 40. I prefer the Harley half-helmet when warmer weather prevails. The Shoei is definitely a heavier helmet and I have to get used to it every year when cooler weather arrives. I also had to install helmet speakers in the Shoei since I can't hear my fairing speakers.

#18 ·
I have a Vega Summit helmet, good fit and finish. I like the convenience of the modular design, makes things like gas stops much easier that that of a full face helmet. I also like the helmet for a few other reasons, I now need to wear glasses and the opening makes it easy to get that damn things on and off, also when I get hit by rain I feel like I am not being sand blasted.

Thant being said, the only real draw back to this style helmet is that they are noisy, make that real noisy. I need to wear ear plugs to prevent myself from loosing my mind when riding.

Check Nolan's web site, I thought they made the same helmet as the N-com without the hookup for the communications.

#20 ·
I've got an old Nolan modular, don't know the model number but I've had it for several years now. I like the fit and seems to be a quality helmet,the only thing I dont like is mine has the outside sun shade that comes down over the face shield but it only partially covers faceshield. Whenever I crack the shild open 1 notch to get some extra air on hot days it pushes the sunshade up enough that I'm looking at a line between being shaded or not, very distracting. I like the concept of a modular helmet especially for those of us that wear glasses. My next helmet will probably be a modular but one with the internal sunshade if it clears my glasses.

#22 ·
We have both brain buckets; Noland and the Shoei Multitech. I think both are above average. I wear the Shoei most because of the fit. I wear glasse and it is easier to on off them in the Shoei. It also fits like I am pillow wrapped, firm. I have wore beanies all my life or no helmet so this was a big chg. It has taken 2 months to really enjoy the chg. I look forward to the quiet. I do find it fliped up alot this summer. Hard to pull the trigger on a $500 helmet but glad I went withthe quality for the long haul. I'm sure I will enjoy this NW weather alot mote when stuck in the rain.

#23 ·
Ok back from the Rockies....should have just found a job and stayed out there. I put over 2,000 miles in about 4 days wearing my Shark ST-3 for a good majority of the time. Great helmet, I know it is French made but if you can get over that it is a good lid. Very comfortable, not as heavy as I thought it would be for longer rides, I think there was a few times I was in it for at least 3-4 hours or so with no breaks. The functionality of it is absolutly great you can adjust it very easily with one hand riding switch backs in the mountains with no problems. It is not as loud as I thought it would be either, the major noise I noticed was from my own exhaust, not the wind. It's almost like the exhaust sound was echoing in my helmet a bit. I am really happy with the purchase and would recommend this lid to any one out there looking for a solid moduler.

#24 ·
I ride with an HJC modular and love it! The versatility of the modular adapts to a variety of riding conditions. If its cold or wet, everything is closed up. If it is warm, the chin bar is up, letting the air in. I use HJC because they are the only company I've found that builds a helmet big enough for my pumpkin head. I was using an HJC 3x full-face but found that I needed a 4X in the modular for long distance comfort. I initially bought one for my snowmobiling in winter and liked it so much I bought another to use when I'm on my 'Glide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.