V-Twin Forum banner

1/2 helmet wants to come off

9K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  wikineon 
#1 ·
All:

My helmet preference is a DOT 1/2 helmet. The problem is every one that I've tried wants to slide off of my head when I get up to highway speeds. They feel great in the store and when riding slow (up to 50 or so) but when I ride faster it sucks, and I've tested smaller sizes and still have the same issues. I'm windshield shopping so I know this will help but does anyone have any other tips/suggestions since I don't want my windshield on full-time?

Please note: I'm considering a 3/4 helmet but really prefer a 1/2 helmet. A full helmet is totally out of the question. I'm primarily interested in hearing feedback from those who ride with 1/2 helmets and who experienced this same helmet issue and was able to find a good solution. Thanks.

#4 ·
I use the Super Seer half helmet, Model 1602. I ordered it with the 'Custom Headband Suspension'. Think of a Riddell football helmet suspension or an old Army helmet. Lots of ventilation thru it.

The visor should have a gap between the helmet. Trapped air can flow up out of it. Some visors have a gray sponge thingy in that space which does not allow for ventilation, which helps lift the helmet off of the head.

#5 ·
reminds me of the day I took ownership of my first harley, a '98 wide glide back in 2007. A good friend had come up on his bike to ride home with me - mind you it had been 20+ yrs since I last rode a bike so I needed some encouragement!

I bought a 1/2 helmet that night, put it on (but not paying attention to how tight the straps were) and we proceed to ride around the block from the dealer. Everything checked out OK (me and the bike - buddy commented that I appeared to be a natural at riding) so we then proceeded to the get on the highway.

Get up to speed around 60mph and the next thing I know, I'm being strangled by my helmet! There was *alot* of air getting in there and must of looked like a miniature parachute attached to my head!

From that day on, I tighten that strap to the point where it's uncomfortable at first, but loosens up enough so it doesn't bother me.

I'd highly suggest a windshield. It helped quite a bit when I installed one on the wide glide.

Now with the geezer-glide with a short 8" windshield (looks over comfort now lol) I get some of the buffeting but is still manageable.

#6 ·
I had same problem with my 1/2 helmet pulled the visor off was better but still lifts at speed and get a fair amount of buffeting. Put a winshield on that I cut just enough to look over it buffeting and lift is gone but at 70 mph on long trips wind noise gets to be annoying
Bought a 3/4 dot from daytona helmets its a tighter profile and is great for long trips don't have that ringing in my ears after 6hrs riding.

#8 ·
I use a bell drifter, the only half helmet I have tried that does not lift at speed

#9 ·
I have 3 half helmets including a novelty and a "DOT" half that later didn't qualify for DOT. I have a couple of full face helmets too. I finally found comfort with a Shoei RJ Platinum-R. It's a 3/4 helmet with vents. Other than not wearing a helmet, it beats anything else I've tried.

#10 ·
I'm in the same boat. Sometimes I think my head is just shaped funny. For me, my half helmet wants to slide back on my head until the neck strap starts choking me. I always thought that if the chin strap was attached to the helmet in a more forward location, then the front of the helmet would be less likely to lift up causing it to slide back.

Strangely, I was at the dealer last week just wasting time and started trying on half-helmets. And surprisingly, one felt really good and the straps were closer to the front of the helmet than the rear. I have one on order and I'm hoping that it willl give me the comfort and functionality that I've been wanting.

I don't know who makes the helmets for HD or why they fit me better, but they seem to. I've been to several ricer dealers and have never been able to find a good fitting half helmet.

#11 ·
Sounds like it's not the right size to me.

#12 ·
Try wearing some type of Doo Rag under the helmet. Your hair has natural oils and your scalp sweats forming a layer of lubrication inside your helmet. Even a thin rag will hold your helmet in place far better than using nothing. This suggestion assumes proper fit and adjustment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.