V-Twin Forum banner

Winter riding gloves

6K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Homesick 
#1 · (Edited)
Started unpacking my winter riding gear. My winter gloves have seen better days. My Gerbing electrics look fine, but I need a pair when not using electrics.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am willing to check out all materials and styles. The only thing I am NOT interested in anything made in China. Any of the other 195 countries on the earth are fine.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have a pair of Aerostich elkskin ropers.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-elkskin-roper-gloves.html

The copy says they are the standard gloves for California Highway Patrol.

They are very comfortable and I also found that as I wore them more, they fit themselves to my hands even better than when brand new.

They also warn that the black ones may bleed some when wet. Mine are black, but either I didn't get them wet enough or it isn't much of an issue.

All I know is that they are very comfortable.

#3 ·
The last pair I got were Grandoes updown leather gloves, that I bought at ski shop. I think the are made in NY. (checking their website they have a factory store in gloversville).

I couldn't see a "made in tag" in my gloves...

They were not cheap ($85?), but they are good for lower 30's riding and very comfortable.

I would go to a ski shop and try some on...

rkc

#6 ·
Do a search on Gerbing's. There are many positive reviews. Just got some a few weeks back (G3's), waiting for the really cold weather to know for sure. So far so good! (had a 32 degree morning).

rkc

#9 ·
Half the problem is the wind. Guys use everything from platic jugs, cut out and attached to the handlebars, to small dirt bike type guards, to big vinyl sleeves (like elephant ears), to cover/block their grips.

Iron butt or adventure riding sites could probably help.

joe

#10 · (Edited)
Another brand that I have had good luck with so far(2 winter riding seasons) is First Gear. With the controller you can dial in just the right amount of heat to keep the digits flexible no matter how cold the riding weather.
I have made many 42 mile (distance from home to work) rides at 75 MPH at 34 degrees and not ended up miserable because of how cold my hands are.
I found one set of carbon fiber knuckle gloves with controller and battery hook up on craigslist for $100 and one pair on electric gloves on sale for $40 at cycle gear.

#14 · (Edited)
Nothing beats heated gloves for cold weather riding. Gerbings are the best on the market.

Of all the non heated gloves I own the best pair are HD Windshield leather gloves. Excellent for cool / damp / wet weather down to upper 30's on short trips. (less than 4 to 5 hours)

What ever you decide on,, use high quality leather cleaners and preservative, such as Obenauf's products, to extend their life, waterproofing and durability.

#16 ·
I have glove liners for my heavy riding gloves, also have some gortex thinsulsate pair, not geared for riding.

The pair I would like to try, are Aerostich with wool. I am big fan of wool. But they are about $115.

I have Gerbing heated. Cords PIA. They were ok, but not great. Plus I am not the trusting type, things fail.

#17 ·
Zerk, I work outside, and I'm with you on the wool. You can get wool glove liners for about $5 at Army surplus stores.

I'm thinking wool liners, thinsulate gloves, then nylon mittens (something to block the wind).

joe

#26 ·
Im diggin the heated gear, I don't own any yet but I'm close to taking the plunge.
I always had heated grips on my dual sport bikes I loved that.
Purchased an H-D Gerbing vest with the intention of heating my core and covering everything else with the standard layers. Then I realized that it's my LEGS that get cold because they're below the fairing.

So, I returned to the shop literally a couple hours later, exchanged the vest for the liner jacket and got the full-blown, waterproof pants. Jacket is on back order and will arrive Feb. 1. (I wish the shop would let me use the vest until the jacket arrives!)

Heated pants are amazing. They don't just keep you from getting cold. They actually keep you warm -- like sitting next to a stove.

Can't hardly wait for the jacket -- We're thinking gloves and boot liners at this point. Seems like the shortcoming in heated grips and seats is that they're "spot heat" and don't warm the entire hand or seating area.

#24 ·
The dual sport riders seem to be big on heated gear. Instead of using the bike to keep them warm, with a windshield or fairing.

#25 ·
I run Gerbings parka, overpants, gloves and socks. Works excellent, it is waterproof, and the versatility is awsome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.