V-Twin Forum banner

Do you wear Body Armor or Hi-Vis wear?

13K views 57 replies 36 participants last post by  DRG 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot more people lately wearing body armor. Although it's been used for years by the crotchrockers with their Power Ranger style jackets and suits, It's not that common from the village-people leather wearing class, like me, but I have seen more people recently wearing leather jackets that have crash armor under the sleeves or shoulder pads. I don't personally wear it, but I can understand how someone might.

I've also seen a lot more of the Hi-Visibilty stuff, vests. I've been wearing a high-vis set of gloves recently because I still use hand signals and I think they might get noticed a bit better.

How about you? Have you started wearing any of that stuff or are you still satisfied with the jean shorts, flip flops and cut off tees?

#2 · (Edited)
I got this for a commuting jacket, although, with a month of >100* temperatures, I haven't been wearing it. It has plastic armor for spine, elbows, and shoulders. The flow thru venting was much less effective than I expected; but I have a fairing and windshield, so I don't know.

I feel like I probably look like a Harley confection, wearing that on a white bagger, but oh well.

I've got Fox Creek leather too, for road trips and cruising.

joe

Attachments

#4 ·
I believe in ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time. I have been using that riding philosophy for 45 years. What that has meant has changed over the years. I now wear an Aerostitch Transit riding suite which is fully armored and has high visibility reflective swatches on the jacket and pants. I wear boots, gloves and a full face modular helmet all the time.

#7 ·
The mesh jacket gets worn alot May-Sept. Armor pads in the shoulders and elbows, but the back pad came out to increase airflow.

I have also found that armor pads tend to flap in the breeze, not as much as say a windbreaker, but you get the idea.

#9 ·
In the summer, I tend to wear my mesh jacket which has the body armor. I prefer the feel of leather, but when the temps go up, mesh is very nice, and knowing that there is some added protection is a plus. The armor is a good feature for a thinner jacket (mesh or leather) IMO.

#14 ·
I've been wearing armored leather for a long time in cool weather, and recently in warm/hot weather have been wearing a black and lemon day-glo First Gear armored mesh jacket like the crotch rocketeers wear. I also wear a full face in cold/cool and a 3/4 helmet in warm/hot.

#15 ·
Armored mesh in summer, unarmored leather cafe style jacket in winter. I love my leather jacket, but if I wore it in summer down here, I'd pass out before I got from the house to the bike out in the carport. I actually feel cooler with the mesh jacket as opposed to a T-shirt alone, and it keeps me from burning to a crisp as I tend to burn rather than tan.

#19 ·
At one time I wore all leather, boots, gloves, and full face helmet. One day several years ago was whining about being so hot on the bike. My wife said take the truck with a/c. I said I was going to ride to be "in the wind". She looked me up and down an asked how? From that day on if its warm to hot, T-shirt, jeans or shorts, tennis shoes, no gloves and beanie helmet. Will never roast again(except when my bare leg hits the pipes). TO EACH HIS OWN- TO BE LEFT ALONE

#34 ·
I don't, but I don't deny its a good idea. I would never tell anyone not to. I always ride with jeans and laced up boots. Harleys have to much hot metal to wear shorts IMO. Plus I think footwear is important. I used to wear pull up boots, but they don't have any support.

I do always wear gloves, so atleast I can hopefully wipe my own ass. Bought Areostich Elkskin ropers ths summer.

#35 · (Edited)
As for high visibility I did convert my blinkers to brake lights on my Road King. Ultra already has alot of light. I never figured out why some people turn off there spots in the front.

When I buy bags to strap on the bike, I go with bright colors. Though they don't stay bright.

#38 ·
Went back and forth to Augusta over the last couple weeks - down and back twice. It rained pretty hard on each trip. On the way down, I didn't stop and put my gear on, it only rained for about 10 minutes, wasn't bad. On the 1st trip back home, thought I could beat the rain to the next freeway exit, didn't, soaked myself in the 3 minutes it took to reach it, put on my gear and proceeded to get soaked for the next 70 miles.

Really glad I had the gear, but those backwoods Georgian cagers made me nervous as all get out. Wasn't bad, but I need to get some sort of chin curtain for my full face as it just blew right up into my face.

#39 · (Edited)
As a little aside (more about colors than armor, but related to the rain discussion), I did Hi Vis gear as a soldier on a Fatboy - not so much now as a silly-vilian on a big, well-lit Ultra Limited. But for rain gear, I think hi-vis is the way to go.

I just don't get black or grey rain suits. After all, when it's raining:

(1) visibility is way down, so being brightly colored helps

(2) slippery roads means more time needed to turn/brake to avoid hitting me, so again being brightly colored helps

(3) Nobody looks cool in the rain, so ya might as well wear bright colors!

#40 ·
Group rides out of the shop . . . When the sun starts to set (i.e. "dusk") riders are REQUIRED to wear high-vis reflective vests. That works for me. In the daylight and good weather I look like Darth Vader -- black bike, black leathers, black helmet, dark tinted visor and dark glasses.

Rain gear is H-D high-vis, reflective strips, orange. We don't ride in the rain, but sometimes we get caught in the rain.

#41 ·
I do have an mesh jacket with armor, but I just can't wear it in the hotter months of the year. I would say July, Aug, Sep I am in a tshirt.

Always wear long pants, boots, gloves, and a helmet.

In the winter I have a heavy duty leather jacket, not a fashion leather jacket. It's very thick, but not armored.

#42 ·
I wear ATGATT type of guy as well. Like to ride, but going to do whatever it takes to make sure I'm still around for my family. If the weather is atrociously hot/humid/rainy - hey, still have the car for that and will take that. Riding for me is about enjoyment. I'm not enjoying it if its 100 out or on a day for the ducks. . ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.