V-Twin Forum banner

Helmet question...

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  clayslayer 
#1 ·
Anyone here wear a 3/4 helmet without a flip down shield and without a windshield? I'm wondering what the wind drag/parachute effect is like. Is it worse than with a full face? I have screws and plates in my neck and don't need any more stress on it if I can help it. I'm afraid I'll have to get a wind shield soon.

#3 ·
Usually a 1/2 or 3/4 will have more drag than a full face. Depends on the helmets.

Generally a full face will have the LEAST drag as the whole thing was designed in a wind tunnel and tuned specifically for aerodynamic performance. With a 1/2 or 3/4 there's the edge of the helmet, your fat head, hairy ears, chin strap, etc flappin' in the breeze. However the cumulative effect shouldn't be that bad at highway speeds.

I have a full face Arai Profile, a bona-fide crotch rocket racin' helmet, and a cheap ass Fulmer Ranger 1/2 lid that I wear with Wiley-X's. I can definitely tell a difference between the two, but the drag doesn't seem that different at speeds up to around 65mph or so. 65mph and up it is definitely noticeable. 75 mph with no windshield is about all I'm willing to suffer through with the 1/2 lid and no windshield. With the Arai (and earplugs) I'd be comfortable up to say....the sound barrier....give or take.

Only one way to find out if it'll work for you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.