V-Twin Forum banner

Non Motorcycle Friendly GPS

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  clayslayer 
#1 ·
Anyone use a non (what Garmin calls Motorcycle Friendly) GPS on their motorcycle? I just ordered a Garmin 2450 GPS unit (never owned a GPS before) which isnt waterproof and am planning on just keeping it in my saddlebag and if (which happens often, sometimes on purpose) and when I get lost, pulling it out and look to see where I am. I borrowed one from my neighbor last week to recalibrate my speedometer and thought it would be nice to have just in case. I dont think it would do me any good to mount it on my handlebars because I need reading glasses to see up close and cant wear them and ride at the same time. :confused:

#2 ·
Just a quick comment: I have a Garmin "Motorcycle Friendly" GPS and it is waterproof. Unfortunately, the mount is not. Garmin knows this and suggests that if your cradle gets wet and it affects performance, either remove the GPS or cover it with a plastic bag.

#3 ·
If you're not gonna mount it on the handlebars then a smart phone will act as a GPS, but only if you have that style phone that is. By the way, most GPS tell you when to turn, so you don't need to read the screen. And the fix for not seeing the screen is called bifocals, which you can get clear on top if you can see ok at a distance and your reading prescription on the bottom.

#4 ·
I have thought about bifocals and that probably will be the solution. Once I get the unit, I will have to try it out by mounting it temporally with the suction cup to see if I can hear and see it well enough. I will tie a saftey string to it in case the suction mount lets go. Still wondering if anyone has used a non motorcycle friendly one on their bike and will I be able to hear the device with a loud exaust.

#14 ·
They all don't have the contacts, my Garmin 265W doesn't have them. The power cord plugs into the back of the unit and the mount is all plastic.

#7 ·
I have a Garmin 200W and use it on my 2003 FLHTI.After looking for a mount I even found a Garmin mount on Overstock.com for $8.50 and use the auto power adapter. I use "reader" safety glasses if I am using the GPS. Garmin's statement is that the "non-motorcycle friendly" units will not stand up to the vibration. Of course I am sure they would prefer to sell a unit for $850.00 instead of $150.00

#9 ·
I have a 250W that I take out of my truck and throw in my bag if I'm going for a long ride. I usually just turn it on, look at directions and throw it back in the bag. I have used the suction cup mount to stick it to my speedometer before. It was kinda hard to see due to sun glare and a little vibration but it got the job done. I don't plan on leaving it on all the time. For a temporary solution, it works perfect.

#11 ·
Thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks. I just ordered some bifocal saftey glasses (didnt know they existed) which will fix the vision problem for me. Now a ram mount and im laughing. Thanks everyone, this forum rocks!

#15 · (Edited)
I use a "non-motorcycle" , Nuvi 855, and love it. No it's not waterproof but a "baggie" works fine.

As for having a GPS in your saddlebag , it is, well, as foolish, as having the need for bi-focal's and not getting them.

#23 ·
You missed the point 93horse'sa$$

I actually don't need bifocals. I need reading glasses since I had LASIK a few years ago. I found these stick-on magnifiers (only use hot water to stick them on) work on sunglasses, scuba masks and safety glasses. They can be removed from one pair of sunglasses and put on another very easily. I found these to be a whole lot cheaper than non-prescription sunglasses with readers (bifocals).

#16 ·
Those that have their GPS in the saddlebag don't need turn by turn directions since they know where they are going. They only bust it out if they get lost, which it what I do but use my smart phone since has a GPS program. So who is really the fool....

#17 ·
it all depends on how you ride. miles, conditions etc.
does it operate on a sd card or hard drive. how robust is the power cord
there are so many things I use my gps for besides guidance.
I couldn't imagine having a gps I couldn't use in the rain,that is when I rely on mine the most. in the end it all depends on what you want out of the unit.

#20 ·
I decided to make my own mount (attached). Made it out of 3/8" aluminum and the ball came from ace hardware. It ia a 3/4" knob with 1/4"-20 threaded insert. Just had to sand it down to 17mm. A little more polishing and buffing and its done. Picked up some bifocal saftey glasses from safteyglassesusa.com which arrived today and should be perfect.

Attachments

#26 ·
I have the cheapest Garmin nuvi they make and I'm pretty happy with it. $98 at sam's club. I've been impressed with it so far and have yet to kill it. If I eventually do murder it I'll just get another one.

FWIW I use the suction cup mount on the windshield and luck. It doesn't fall off but I've got it dummy corded in case it does so if it does fall off it won't go splattering down the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.