V-Twin Forum banner

Some Helmet Help, Please...

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  clayslayer 
#1 ·
I have my choices narrowed down to three half helmets. I want low profile, DOT, and lightweight. First is the HD Hybrid, but it makes my head look huge (mushroom effect), second is the Vega XTS carbon fiber, third is the HCI Shorty carbon fiber. What are your experiences with how they feel on your head and the open road. I have not tried on the HCI or Vega as of yet, but they look smaller than the HD. I tried the Daytona, but don't really care for it. All input is appreciated. Thanks...

#2 ·
I had a Vega half and really liked it. Remember dont sacrifice wisdom for looks especially if you happen to come off like I did. The helmet saved my A$$

#5 ·
I have the HD helmet and the Vega. The Vega looks much smaller on my head and I like it quite a bit. One thing about the Vega though, mine fits a size larger than the HD version. I have an XXL HD and the XXL Vega is about one size too big. I should have gone one size smaller in the Vega.

#6 ·
@gree: Same here ... keep in mind that the fit will become looser as you wear it, sometimes its better when buying a helmet is to get it snug but not so snug your eyes water LOL

#8 ·
Better helmets are made from fiberglass, cheaper helmets are poly/plastics. Glass can be made thinner for the shell than plastic. All 1/2 helmets are going to be DOD as Snell will not certify a "shorty". I have a Vega, good lid for the money, the carbon fiber is not real, it is an inlay, looks cool, but there is no benefit to it. In the winter I wear a full face helmet made by Shoei, they can't be beat for quality and in my case fit. Best bet it to try on a few until you find one you like, however do not go cheap on your gear, it is the only ting that will keep you alive when all goes bad!

#9 ·
I went around to some dealers today to try on helmets. I ruled out the Harley helmets. I really like the way the Vega XT looks and feels. It's a slightly larger half helmet that covers just the top of the ears. Does anyone ride with this helmet? I still like the looks of the HCI carbon fiber Shorty in the pics, but I haven't found a dealer that carries them to try the fit. I called HCI, but they didn't get back to me with the dealers in my area of PA. Please keep the comments coming...

#10 ·
I believe if you go on HCI's website it will have a dealer locater, I know I did that with HJC and found a shop close to me that handled HJC helmets. Personally I think you're focusing too much on what the helmet looks like, some helmets are made for round heads and if you have an oblong head it will never fit right. Other than being DOT certified having a comfortable helmet that you can wear for hours at a time should be the focus. I have a HD half helmet and the only time I wear it is if it is supper hot and I'm just running into town to pick up something. Anytime I'm going any distance at all I always wear either my Shoei or Nolan full face hemets. I just don't care for all the noise from a half helmet, besides, nothing like a full face in the rain or cold weather.

#12 ·
I have an HJC half helmet with a snap-on flip up clear face shield and it's very comfortable. It also has zippered ear flaps that I can quickly remove or install depending on the weather.

#13 ·
Bieffe makes some good fiting mushrooms/ not big on buying one tight then wearing it in,if it fits to start with shouldnt get bigger with time, should sit on head, not fit like ball cap

#15 ·
I have had helmets that get bigger as time goes on and Ill bet there are others here that have had the same experience.
If you buy a helmet thats not snug and sits on yur head Id guarentee you be coming back to this thresd saying
"Wish I HADA" Ive been on and off since 72 and I have yet to see a helmet that doesnt "WEAR IN" ask the seller if he even looks confused or studders Id walk and have a :beer:

#14 ·
I finally had a chance to try on a HCI Shorty helmet at a HD dealer while I was in Ft. Lauderdale today. Much to my dismay, a small was too small, and a medium was too big. I'm so glad I had a chance to try one one before I bought one sight unseen off the internet. I don't think they're as light as the Vega helmets I've tried, and defiantly not as light as the Harley Hybrid. I guess I can now scratch the hCI off my list. Thank goodness I have a few months till riding season in PA to find just the right helmet.

#16 ·
The Harley Hybrid is now back in the running for me. It sure feels like a safe well manufactured lid and fits on my noggin good. I just wish it wasn't so "Great Gazoo" looking on my head. Does anyone wear one and how does it act on your head while you're going down the highway? It sure is light enough...

#17 ·
I want to than everybody for the help. I decided on the Vega XTS. They fit my head and my wife's head perfectly. Nice and light too! She got the pink flames one (of course) and I got the ones with the silver flames. Just arrived yesterday from the Motorcycle Superstore...

#18 ·
Hey Bro

I am sure you'll like your choice .. it wont be but a couple more months till that we all get out :clap:

Ride Safe

#20 ·
I bought a NXT half helmet, www.nexlsports.com a few years ago as it was the lightest, 22-26 oz., and DOT approved, also very comfortable for me....a couple I ride with got one from Head Trip www.headtriphelmets.com and they love theirs BUT they aren't DOT approved, I think it is even lighter. Check them both out....hope this helps.

#21 ·
I've a Fulmer "Ranger" 1/2 helmet. It looks as good as anything I've found and was cheap. It's DOT rated and looks better than anything I could find at the HD dealer (my opinion). It has a nifty little snap on/off visor that is great when the sun is going down.

I decided I was going to buy it then looked at the price tag, expecting...oh boy.....$40?! WTF. Wow! Looks good, comfortable, safe, AND cheap?! Wow. I can live with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.