V-Twin Forum banner

goggles or glasses

8K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  clayslayer 
#1 ·
Is there any pros and cons between wearing gogles or cycle glasses?

Whats everyone's opinion?

#2 ·
It would almost exclusively depend on the helmet (or lack thereof) as to which would be better.
That said, my preference is glasses, but I would be really interested in some goggles that work well in the rain and a 1/2 helmet.

#3 ·
Goggles or glasses........I vote for a Full face.

#4 ·
I prefer glasses but goggles would be better in the rain.
If you don't wear a helmet then goggles would stay on your face better.
Goggles may also protect your eyes a little better from flying debris and bugs. But if you get motorcycle specific glasses they have the foam protection around the lense as well.

If I didn't have a shield, then I'd be wearing a fullface and sunglasses.

#7 ·
Beyond the obvious? Goggles have to be better.

Are we talking beer goggles :confused:
Pros - You get some.
Cons - You probably get more than you wanted.
:duh2:

Seriously tho:
Haven't had goggles on since I went snowboarding last, and before that, was the old MX days...so, can't give you any benefits or drawbacks to goggles for streetbiking.

Wear Rec Spec driver's sunglasses behind the shield of a carbon fiber Vemar full face in daylight hours.
Pros - none; the only reason I wear them is due to the light smoke faceshield for day into night riding.
Cons - stashing them somewhere so they don't get stolen.

#9 ·

had them for years before I switched to glasses, finding a good fitting set of goggles is hard

#11 ·
I have always used the foam lined glasses until late last year. I found some goggles that I could comfortably wear with the strap under my 1/2 helmet, and always use the goggles now when riding on the highway. To me, the goggles are much better than any glasses I have ever used at highway speeds.

#15 ·
I have to wear scripts, too. I wear goggles over the scripts if it's raining, but the extra layer of lens (no matter how good the lenses are) distorts my vision (more than I care for, even if it is raining). I much prefer a high-quality pair of glasses alone. I have a pair of Maui-Jim script sunglasses (with awesome polarization) for the daytime and a pair of Cocoon script glasses (with Transition lenses that lets me ride in the "almost-day" and coated with "Crysal"(???) that greatly reduces night-glare) for night riding.
Besides, riding 15K per year, my sunglasses give me a bad case of "raccoon-eyes;" I can't imagine how I'd look after a summer wearing those crazy "Ugly Goggles!!!"
Matt

#19 · (Edited)
Just my opinion, from only riding since the mid '60's...

So take it with a grain of salt:
My first pair of glasses flew off my face when I looked over my shoulder to change lanes.
Cars had run over them before I got back for retrieval.
I got cable temple glasses to replace them and have worn such ever since.

Goggles fog worse, but glasses do also.
Some goggles have small holes on the sides to reduce fogging & I have even drilled such holes into goggles to reduce fogging.

Personal choice, is I wear glasses to see with and they ALL are aviator prescription glasses with photo-grey-extra lenses, with cable temples and a one piece bridge so the wind does not get up under and send sand and worse into my eyes.
Y'all make your own choices

Just my opinion, as requested by OP

#20 ·
I have the Wiley - X's as well in my 'scrip. Uncle Sam gave them to me, I paid for the lenses. I really like them.

I've know guys like the pic of the Marine that got blown up. Oakley's work too. I just got lucky on the few times I got blown the #$&$ up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.