V-Twin Forum banner

Harley Heated Gloves

7K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  berserker 
#1 ·
My wife bought me a pair of the 12 volt HD Riding gloves, last week I wired them in an Rode about 50 miles with them. I thought they were uncomfortably warm, when I stopped and took them off I had half inch tall blisters across 3 fingers of my right hand and 2 of the left. Serious 2nd degree burns according to the emergency room.
Anyone else had this happen or know of anyone its happened to?

#3 ·
I would have removed the gloves after the first degree burn. Why did you wait until they became 2nd degree?

#5 ·
Beat me to it. How could a guy not know that was going on?

Though this time of year is pretty warm for heated gloves. I guess you use the heated steering wheel, when it gets real cold.

#6 ·
Hell, last week in NH it was almost 90. Heated gloves were the last thing I was worried about.

But more seriously, I have a set of Gerbings and never had anything close to that. Sounds like your fingers might have been right on the heating elements.

#8 ·
I have a set of Gerbings and never had anything close to that.
I thought Gerbings made HD brand - maybe not. I cooked my hands with Gerbings - wasn't burns and blisters but just red and irritated. I could tell they'd been on too long. Was cold as **** outside so it didn't feel like they were doing anything.

The key here is you gotta use them with a thermostat or cycle it on and off as suggested above.

#7 ·
Even if he wore them in Mexico, in August, how do you wear them long enough to get burned?

#9 ·
I use the FXRG gloves and, except for the thumbs, they keep my hands warm at 19*, which is the coldest I have used them so far.

To keep my thumbs warm, I just wrap them on the grip in the same direction as my fingers...Simple!

Tri

#10 ·
I have a pair of Gerbing. Only used them a few times, cord is a PIA. I bought a bike with a fairing instead. I wore them in upper/mid 30s. I was ok, but not hot. I don't have the controler.

#12 ·
when I stopped and took them off I had half inch tall blisters across 3 fingers of my right hand and 2 of the left. Serious 2nd degree burns according to the emergency room.
WTF? Are you serious? You want me to believe you got 2nd degree burns and were not smart enough to take the gloves off, or at least turn them off? I'm sorry, that is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. By the way, putting your wee-wee in a meat grinder doesn't hurt. You should try it!

#13 ·
careful, luvstoride .... you may have exposure to liability for wrongful inducement to commit a stupid act in the 3rd degree

#15 ·
Cut the finger tips off, to drain the grease out.

#20 ·
heated grips are good to about 40 deg when used correct.
after that there is no comparison to heated gloves.of course used correct.
like coolmaker said the faster you go the less effective the heated grips are.

#17 ·
Somehow, the heated grips just seem like a better way to go about solving the problem...

#24 ·
Who told you that?

Hell snowmobiles use them.

I got a set on my Ultra, but they are to hot. I need to find a set thats not so hot. Though the fairing helps.

#19 ·
I think my heated grips would work better if I found a set of gloves that had no insulation on the palm side of the hand, but good insulation on the outside...

also see my comments in the cold weather hands and feet thread...

#26 ·
No they ride at 100 mph for for say a hour. They ride long enought and fast enough, your going to get cold. Below zero your finger tips still start to get cold on long runs.

I think its a great comparison. I got heated grips on my bike. Haven't really tested them. They get to hot though. Like I said I need something something not as hot.

#27 ·
My experience...

My heated grips have a control, variable from 0 to 6. Riding in the mid 40's, I'll typically have the grips set on 2 to 2.5. Like this morning when I left the house for work.
In the coldest weather that I will ride in, mid 20's, I'll have the grips set to about 4 to 4.5. That's wearing relatively thin gloves with thinsulate. If you wear thicker gloves, you may want to set the grips to the highest setting, 6, to have any effect on your hands.

#28 ·
I the ones I bought have high and low setting. And are just to hot. Though its easy enough to just turn them on and off. I got the heaters in the bar. I really don't want heated grips, cause then you are stuck with those grips. Though if I found a pair I like, I would consider it. The heaters in the bar, were alot cheaper too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.