V-Twin Forum banner

Perforated vs Zipped Vent Leather Jacket?

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  grumman581 
#1 ·
I'm eyeing up a new Perforated Leather jacket with removable water resistant - windproof nylon lining. I've never worn a perforated leather jacket before, how well can I expect this type of jacket to cool/vent in hot weather and keep me warm in cold weather vs. a more traditional leather that has zippered front & rear vents? I expect to wear this jacket in temps ranging from mid 50s to below 80 degrees.

#2 ·
50-80 will prolly be fine. I went with mesh, cause down here it is 90-105 in the summer and the leather just doesnt make it. And I have a textile zippered one with liner good for 0-60. I lack the midrange As long as the liner is windproof, there lies the key. Any wind through and the windchill gets ya. Hypothermia can down a person when its 50 out, no problem.

#3 ·
I use the First Gear Tex-Mesh jacket works well in the heat and has a zip in windproof liner for when it's cooler.I put on a sweatshirt when it gets cold. You can basically use it for three seasons.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, but my main interest is hearing from anyone who has experience with a perforated jacket and what they may like and/or dislike about it. I currently have a couple light weight & heavy weight textile jackets + a mid weight leather jacket, but would like some feedback on the perforated...

#6 ·
When it is 100F and 95% humidity, it doesn't matter what or even how little you are wearing, it is still HOT. Sure would be nice if someone could create a small cheap air-conditioning type system that would work with a full coverage helmet to at least keep the head cool. I know they have them for the race car drivers, but they're not exactly cheap nor would the large hose work that well in the wind on a bike. Since they tend to be ice-based, they also do not last forever.

#7 ·
Hmmm, makes me wonder if there isn't some way to rig up a peltier cooler, the kind used in 12v picnic coolers, inside a helmet? One problem to overcome would be where to send the condensation that forms on the chip when the temp of the chip falls below ambient. Also have to look out since if the polarity is reversed it gets hot instead of cold. Anyway, you can get a peltier for around $10 if anyone wants to experiment.

Sorry for the hijack...I have a vented leather jacket from Fox Creek that I love, but I can't wear it when the temperature is above 75* or so. My son has a perforated leather jacket, but he finds it way too hot to wear in the summers here, so he wears a textile mesh on really hot days. I find that the mesh is actually cooler than just wearing a T-shirt while riding because the air flows all around you. It's hotter than hell when stopped in traffic though.

#9 ·
I wear a Harley perforated leather jacket in the summer, and it is very hot. I can not tell that any air goes through the little holes because I wear it only partially zipped. I feel some air this way, but it is still hot while stopped or moving slow. On the road is fine though. I want to try a mesh light colored jacket, but am not sure which one I want. Hope this helps. By the way, the vents in the front and back do absolutely nothing.

#10 ·
I've worn my leather jacket with zipper vents all the way up to the low 90s. As long as we were moving it was comfortable. What's nice though is early in the morning while it's still cool from the night, or after the sun goes down and things cool off I zip up all six vents and can stay reasonably warm.

If you can guarantee you'll only be out in the heat of the day I'd say rather than perforated leather get a mesh jacket with armor. If I know I'm only going to be out for short time and it's very hot I wear my mesh jacket.

#11 ·
I have a Vanson Mark 11 Cobra that is both perforated in the front and has vents on the bicep area and exhaust vents in the back. I don't wear a jacket in the summer unless I am in the mountains. This jacket works quite well in the winter with layering and is comfortable into the upper 70s with the vents open and lining lowered. I usually ride with a windshield and with that I get more air flow through the vents than the perfs. I also wear perf Vanson gloves which are better ventilated than others I have tried. But I am in south Texas and when it is hot, it is too hot for a jacket. I have not tried mesh and probably won't.

#13 ·
At least a partial answer to cooling is convection cooling, a wet t-shirt and/or bandana. You can buy, and probably cheaplt make, vests/shirts with pockets for cool paks.
Wouldn't the wet t-shirt be "evaporative cooling"? I think our normal way of cooling is more convective if you discount the sweat from our bodies... I tried a pump water sprayer bottle a few weeks ago on a short ride as a test... Periodically, I would spray a few sprays toward me and I would feel a bit cooler for awhile. It worked well enough that I would consider it a good proof of concept. I figure that if someone installed a couple of the misting sprayers on their windshield or handlebars, it would work pretty well to help keep you cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.