V-Twin Forum banner

Anyone using a Harley mesh jacket w/hydration packets?

18K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  rosalindaursery 
#1 ·
It's too hot for leather and I found myself riding Saturday with just a tshirt; I simply couldn't wear the jacket in 98 degree weather. So I'm looking at mesh gear.

Harley has a couple of mesh jackets with pockets for "hydration packets" ($40 extra for the hydration packets). Is anyone wearing a Harley mesh jacket; if so, is it bearably cool in summer? And if you've got the hydration packets, do they keep you cooler a long time and are they worth the extra cost? I'm thinking a simple soak of a tshirt in water with the mesh jacket on top would work just as well but maybe not last as long as a "hydration packet" (?)

#2 ·
I live in GA, and it is pretty hot here now. I have been wearing my Harley perforated jacket with a T shirt underneath. I am OK when moving, but red lights are tough. I bought one of those Frog Tog towel things that are supposed to keep you cool. It did not work. I would not recommend it. Not sure about the Harley mesh jacket. I will have to check it out. Post your findings if you get one. I would like to know how well it works.

#3 ·
JMHO...

How often are you stopped at a light that a little heat under the leather is too much to bear?

Here's the deal-i-o...

If you can't handle leather, even in summer, turn in your man card, trade your Marlboros for Mistys, swap your boots for ballerina shoes, and next time you're at the bar order a wine (or maybe that's WHINE) cooler instead of a MGD. And fer s(&+ sure, get off that Harley and go buy a moped or somethin'...

I can't believe we got servicemen running around the desert in 125 degree heat with full packs and here we are complaining that motorcycles don't have air conditioning...

#45 ·
Wow, nice post.....dude asked a question about a mesh jacket and you craw up his a$$ over NOT wearing leathers in the middle of a heat wave.

To be honest with you, a good ballistic mesh jacket will be superior to some cheap leather jacket just about any day. the Harley Mesh jackets are nice, combine that with a Camel Back Hydration pack and you'll do just fine. I am riding with a Tourmaster Jacket and I use a camel back.

#5 ·
Thank you claybal. :thumbsup:

The humidity probably raised the heat index way over 110 and I was ride captain of a group of 25 that spent an hour on top of HD air heat pumps while negotiating several dozen red lights before getting out of the other side of town and into the mountains. Once out of town it was tolerable but that first hour was brutal.

xbones, this thread asked for input from those experienced with an item that you obviously have no idea about. Do you often give advice concerning matters you have no experience in? I don't smoke cigs and I don't bar hop on my bike, and don't give a d@m# what a yankee that lives halfway to the arctic circle from here wants to advise me of concerning something he has no experience with. This thread asked for input on an item you don't even need where you are at. I'm also fairly certain that our servicemen and women are not wearing thick black leather. Since your foundation of advice rests on our troops in 125 weather I suggest you integrate your input with backup and join/or rejoin and spend the rest of your life in Baghdad and then I'll give a pig-flying flip about your post. While you are on leave, move to Phoenix and never use air conditioning.... maybe then I'll respect your advice. Maybe. :rolleyes:

Clay and doc, thanks for your input. doc I had noticed those towels since I've already got the Frogg Togg rainsuit. I won't waste my time with their towel. Clay, I'll look into Arlen Ness. I'm confused on the camelbak; are you saying that you are using it to drink water to stay hydrated or is there a camelbak that can hydrate the jacket and cool you down?

I was originally not even going to consider HD apparel because I assumed that the HD logo would double the price, but I was surprized to find that they are competitive with other brands which is why I asked the question. Still looking for anyone that has the HD mesh with the hydration packets to chime in.....

#6 ·
the camelback works to hydrate, but also if filled with cold liquid, cools the middle of the back. no doctor here, but was told by cooling over the heart and lungs, it helps cool the body? maybe its psychological. nuttin wrong with wettin your whistle and spitting the water down your shirt either. plain water for extremes, gatorade for on the highway or ripping the fun roads.

man, if i had a bagger, i would rig a windshield washer so i could push a button and spray! would beat trying to stay behind the suv's and catching their A/C drip.

or you could just ride to northport.:hystria:

#8 ·
man, if i had a bagger, i would rig a windshield washer so i could push a button and spray! would beat trying to stay behind the suv's and catching their A/C drip.
I been thinking of that for years...rigging a mister system like they have at outdoor restaurants. A windshield washer pump with a couple of small jets...something like that would be COOL when riding through the western deserts when it's 115 degrees in summer. I bet people would buy something like that, i guess except X-Bones...he's a REAL MANLY MAN.
Tim

#7 ·
I've been wearing a mesh jacket for about 5 years. I live north of Atlanta so have the high heat index . I also have a perf leather HD jacket. An alternative to the hydration packs is just soak your t-shirt in cold water, wring it out .. keeps the dehydration down.

#9 ·
if ya rig a mister, dont mix alcohol, it will make you sticky. just pure water. i thought about making one that mounted on the handlebar but figured if ya didnt coat it in cheap chrome and have a catchy name, it wouldnt sell. you could offer accessories like goggle wipers and neon to increase profit.

everyone knows real bikers dont ride in the heat! but, stick a peltier device on your forehead and cover it with a doo-rag with penguin graphics. yep, that would be cool.

#11 ·
Well I rode to Rock Hill HD yesterday and bought one. I didn't get the hydration packets. The ride back (95~ 100 miles) it was between 97 degress and 101 degrees depending on which bank signs I wanted to believe. Under the jacket I wore a white long sleeve tshirt that I soaked in water and was actually cold/cool for the first half of the ride. The second half after the shirt dried it was still tolerably comfortable and I could easily feel the wind blowing through the mesh.

I'm very satisfied with the product. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/...4309178689&bmUID=1277844845166&bmLocale=en_US

They make another one that is only $99 but it has flames and stuff on the sleeves; I'm into more of a subdued look and preferred this one. I had to ride over 90 miles to get it though because evidently it is a limited production or seasonal or something, and my dealership could not order it. So if you like this one, I suppose you need to find a dealer that has one in stock.

D@m# thing is made in China of course :rolleyes:

#29 ·
i bought that jacket from our local dealer 3 years ago, only paid $88 it had been on there rack for some time. only see mid 90's a handful of times each summer up here in vermont, but yesterday and today are one of those days, not to mention when we do see90's up here it's very hot and humid. once moving the air does the trick, and it's a much better protection than a tee shirt.

#15 ·
Yeah that's the one irony I immediately noticed. But it IS cool with the wind blowing through it - and cold with a wet shirt underneath. And I'm not sure I would wear a white jacket LOL. I figure the beancounters figured they wouldn't sell many light colored ones either, so that's why a sensible one is not available.

#16 ·
Gerald,

Just saw this, so it's kinda moot now, but the mesh will be good as long as yer rollin. I have an HD mesh/armored jacket and it is great for summer riding here.
Well, as long as you are not in traffic, then NOTHING is comfy.

Hey bones---Did you really say "deal-i-o" ?? --- BWAHAHAHA .....
Ok, fun's over. You and your Guido pals can skip right along now and go see Uncle Vinny. He'll give you a nickel for the ice cream truck....Don't play near the street.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry bones, did you have something to say?? I was laughing so hard it was tough to hear you....

#17 ·
Maybe I am missing something, but if it so hot, why wear the coat at all?

#20 ·
Because road rash and skin grafts suck ass.

#18 ·
OK. I just read the post from our Northport neighbor, and like was mentioned earlier, I really don't think he has the right to talk bad about what anyone's definition of HOT is. I have lived my whole life in the south, and it is just plain ole hot and humid. There is no other way to say it. I totally agree that it must be hot in Afganistan, but our brave soldiers serving there are working at their jobs, not participating in what for me is a leisure activity ( riding my motorcycle ). If I choose to ride when it is hot, nobody should think any less of me because I wish I was cooler. Also, I do not have to adhere to Norhport's idea of what a HD rider should be. I am what I am, and enjoy riding and spending time with all kinds of people. Some drink, some smoke, some wear the whole HD get up, and some don't. I do not smoke, drink alcohol, or wear flames and skulls, but that does not mean I am not a HD/motorcycle rider. I guess some people just like to start trouble, and that is fine. I just felt like I needed to reply. By the way, xbones, I never said I could not bear the heat, only that it was hot at the red lights. I guess your traffic lights change pretty fast up there, but many of ours can last up to three or four minutes. The original post asked for advice, and I was just responding to it, so get a life, and have the air conditioning taken out of your house and car, or what ever you drive and live in. Also, don't frequent any establishments that have air conditioning. Gjarrett- glad you like the jacket. Let us know if you get the packs. Ride On!

#21 · (Edited)
Ok I understand, it makes sense to wear it for the extra protection. I thought there may have been some other Hot weather benefit. I myself love T shirt riding, but I do wear a DOT helmet, regardless if the State I happen to be riding in, has a helmet law or not.

#23 ·
Ok I understand, it makes sense to wear it for the extra protection. I thought there may have been some other Hot weather benefit. I myself love T shirt riding, but I do wear a DOT helmet.
<grin>
No- There really is not hot weather benefit to riding AGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), and as a guy who did have a very bad wreck, I still do not go AGATT...Most of the time, but not always.
It's ridiculously uncomfortable, dang near dangerous if you get stuck in the heat for too long, and can be just plain miserable.

On REALLY hot days, short runs, or around town, I'll still go vest and t-shirt, and I always go w/boots and jeans, but on long runs I'll usually gear up with a weather appropriate jacket for extra protection.

#24 ·
Yeah Doc... sometimes I'm that guy.. ;)

I'm not far away from you in Covington -- Maybe I'll see you 'round the quad.

#25 ·
I always wear jeans and boots. I have a brother in law, that I have seen ride, wearing shorts, sandles and no helmet.

#26 ·
...Man that hurts just thinking about it...

#28 ·
Here's something that used to work for me when my only transportation was two wheels.
I would carry about a half quart spray bottle and use it to spray my chest and neck area while on long rides thru the desert.
Yea, I know it's kinda primitive but it works.
It made a difference in how far I would get in a day. When I felt "dry" I would spray myself. When I ran outta water, that was usually about the right time for a stop to refill and to get a drink.

#30 ·
I've got a Harley Mesh Jacket (the high vis one) and the hydration packs. They do help, as long as it's not too humid. If it is humid, the water can't evaporate and take the heat away.

When they do work, it's not as nice as all-over feeling as a wet T shirt, but the they stay wet much longer than cloth.

I've read on other boards that they aren't very durable and don't last for that many uses, but I guess I'll find out.

#32 ·
I read the fine print on the hydration packets and it says something like "good for 40 uses" or something like that, so they are made of something that degrades with use. If I need to I'll just soak a washcloth in water and stuff it in the packet liners.

#31 ·
I have a couple of mesh jackets and they work well in the summer months keeping the sun off and letting the breeze cool your body temp. For long rides where the humidity is low, I have one of those road crew vests you soak in water and where under the mesh jacket. They tend to drop the body temp a few degrees and keep you from getting quite as hot. They will eventually soak your T-shirt and that aids in cooling. It may not be the coolest looking garb to wear, but it keeps my fat a** cool here in TX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.