V-Twin Forum banner

New Shoei helmet

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  sportsterpaul 
#1 ·
I'm a full faced helmet guy, and have lived with a marginally fitting, kinda ventilated Bell Sprint that I bought on clearance, for a while.

Stopped by a shop several months ago and tried various helmets on. For me, the Shoei helmets fit my long oval head better than Arai, Bell and Simpson. I tried the RF- 1000 and -1100 (new model) on and really liked the better ventilation and periphreral vision.

Being the thrifty (Cheap) bastard that I am, I surfed Craigslist and ebay for a good deal on a RF-1000. Missed out on a few good deals but got tired of waiting and shopped for new. Competition Accessories.com had the best prices, and I ended up talking myself into spending the extra $50 to get the newer RF- 1100 in matte black for $312 shipped.

I now appreciate the difference between an OK fit and a great fitting helmet. Less head sweat as well. So for any of y'all that choose to or are forced to wear one, I'll throw out a vote for the RF- 1100 as being worth trying out and worth the price.

#2 ·
So it does vent well? I have a two year old Shoei Multitech that fits well, is comfortable but does not vent well. Therefore only wear it in spring, fall, and winter. Too hot in summer.

#3 ·
Yes it vents much better than the Bell it replaced. 2 vents up front and 4 in the back, plus the air channels that allow the air to flow past my sweaty head do a great job. The front vent flows nicely, ending the claustrophobic sensation at stoplights.

I just got back from a sunset spin in 94 deg temps and it worked great. Head is dry and the windscreen stopped all of the junebugs

#4 ·
@gree:

My wife and I both wear full-faces Shoei helmets and we love them. She has an RF-1000 and I have a X-Eleven. I'm looking for my next helmet, I hope Shoei has some better graphics for 2011 on the X-Twelve.

#6 ·
Every full face I've tried squeezes my cheeks, and my entire head feels like it's wrapped in a pressurized chamber. I can see effective venting keeping the face cool, but how can a helmet vent the heat and sweat from the large point of contact against your hair?

#7 ·
This Shoei has ridge like padding over the top of the head and carved out air passages in between that connect the vents.
Now, I'm sure when I ride up to OKC this week at midday, I'll probably have a sweaty head. It's hovering around the 100 mark and ir IS a flat black helmet :whistle: , but It's better than the one I had, and for me, it's (Full face helmet) the right choice.

#9 ·
I sure like the idea of wearing a full-face helmet, but just can't get myself to get past the claustrophobic feeling. Last week in the bike shop I tried on a Nolan modular. Mistake

Like the idiot I am, I didn't make sure I knew how to work the release latch before I tried it on. Got that thing on my melon and couldn't get it off. I asked a customer for help and he couldn't do it. I had to get that thing off my head right now, and being unable to brought visions of the nice EMS guys carting me away in a straight jacket. Next, I went running around the store screaming like a little girl before I found a salesman who set me free. Seems like Nolan thought it would be a good idea to have two latches that have to be pushed simultaneously. :yikes:

I think I'll stick with my Shoei RJ Air. I sure would like to be able to run a full-face though. In the words of Capt. Sully, "I'm unable."
:nope:

#11 ·
Having ridden for over 50 years, and being a believer in good head protection, it's a cold day in Hell that I ride without a helmet. I'll say that its a tremendous feeling without a lid but seeing first hand the damage caused by head to concrete contact it's something I can do without. That being said about 11 years ago I bought my first SHOEI, a RF900,which had just gone on sale, was $206.00 out the door. I have since learned that you can get a great deal from them if you buy the model being replaced by their newest release. I picked up my last one a RF1000 for $169.00 in metalic. Don't try on the newest release cause each one just keeps getting better and better, and you may not be as happy with the outdated model. I'm talking about saving over $200.00 which helps with my budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.