V-Twin Forum banner

motorcycle wallet question

17K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  Babalu 
#1 ·
This may sound like a strange question, but I am looking to get a motorcycle wallet, one of those with chains, so that mine doesn't fall out of my pocket.

Are there any that I can put my regular wallet in or is there a smaller style one that I can detach the chain from when I am not riding?

The ones that I saw at the Harley dealer are the big long ones and that would be a problem when I am not riding

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

#4 ·
You can always put it in a vest or jacket pocket that has a zipper, or a pocket with a flap and/or a button.

#6 ·
front pocket...

#9 ·
I have found the smaller ones with a chain at the dealership. Two yrs ago at Destanation Daytona during bike week, I lost my wallet in the bathroom. I always looked down to ck but got a phone call, picked up my pants and walked out, goodbye wallet with my $300 emergency money. That chain has saved me alot of headaches. Just make sure it does't scratch your tank.

#11 ·
Harley sells a regular-sized wallet in black leather for about $40 with a spring clip for attaching a chain. I gave away the long chain that came with it and bought a short 6" chain from Dennis Kirk, which is the right length to go from a side belt loop to the back pocket. When I'm not riding, I disconnect the chain & the spring clip slips inside the wallet out of the way.

#12 ·
I was driving on the freeway the other day and there was a kid on a Sportster that had a wallet and chain. The chain was hanging down and flopping around in the wind. It was nearly touching the chain / belt (wasn't close enough to see which). I stayed behind him in the other lane for a bit to see if it was going to either rip the wallet out of his pocket or rip him off the bike. The chain was just flopping around, well within the area where it could get tangled up with the rear tire / belt / chain. Not very survival-oriented on his part in my opinion. At the very least, I figured that it would jam in the rear chain / belt and he would get to experience a 75 mph rear wheel skid.

So, think carefully where that chain might be hanging before you think that you just have to have one. Personally, I prefer to keep my wallet in a fanny pack with my compact .45. It's up front where I know where it is. Sometimes though, I just put it in my inside vest pocket. I hate to have a wallet in my rear pocket.

#14 ·
Well, the question becomes whether it is really smart to ride a bike with one if the chain is so long that it might be an entanglement hazard... Personally, I think that particular kid was pushing his luck a bit too much... It would be a shame if he ruined a perfectly good bike just because of some faddish chain on his wallet.

Oh well... The right to be stupid, I guess...

#42 ·
I lost one in a girls car once....oh that is another story, and I don't think the chain would of helped....well maybe

#23 ·
I am married, so I don't have to worry about losing any money. I just keep my license with the registration in the saddle bag and a couple of dollars in my pocket.

#25 ·
Best place for your wallet while riding, or driving for that matter, is anywhere other than a back pocket where it forces you to sit in an unlevel position, causing your spine to be misaligned even before you hit any bumps.
Looks or comfort, your choice....

#41 ·
I've been riding for 35 years and I still opt for a chain drive wallet. I remove the chain when I'm not riding and although I've never lost a wallet on the bike I constantly check when I forget to put the chain back on before taking the bike out.

#45 · (Edited)
i have a lightly used foxcreek small truckers wallet with chain i would part with if you have a paypal account. $15.00 and it's yours.

it just isn't my style, it was a gift from my wife so i used it to ride here and there but i have a small wallet/money clip that goes in my front pocket.

i did a little hardware change where i have a clasp that can remove the chain on and off easy. i can provide pics if you want. i was going to list on ebay but figured since you're in the market.

***EDITED***
just saw this post was from may of last year, i assume you've figured out your wallet dilemma in the past 8 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.